Messageboard guidelines suggestion box

alsplacebartender

Al's Place Bartender
Staff member
Hello everyone,

We have had a troll or two grace our board in the last couple of weeks.

I would like some feedback on what rules you would like to incorporate into a new forum I am now designing which would clearly state the rules of posting here.

A couple I already have are about refraining from profanity and stopping discussion of a degrading nature about the stars of Quantum Leap (example: two people have mentioned that Scott or Al are gay)

Let your opinion come forward now so that I can get this new category and forum up and running ASAP.

Once I have all your suggestions, I'll move this post to the bargage bin and open the new forum. Let's try to have as many suggestions as possible by Sunday night, December 14th. Thanks for your help!

The word Gay or Being Gay is NOT ugly nor should it be "controllable"...

The last thing I want should be a controlling and oppresive atmosphere.

I don't see the comment thread about Al being Gay anymore, so I can only assume you guys got rid of it. I thought Shane and I handled the question just fine.

If a complaint comes, the postor should be appraised of it. If it's a sensitive nature, then that as well should be mentioned.

I remember in our "time of round robins" and stories we were writing, a couple of us had to use 'creative typing' to get around the autocensors... one bad word (that's allowed on tv) shouldn't be blocked, nor should people who might have legit questions or comments.

As I said, I may not be seeing what happened AFTER I responded.

Matt

<<edit>> okay I found it... I agree with HOW you handled it and the caution.<</end edit>>

You know, I was going to suggest this Forum Rules thing to you, Brian.

First of all, it might help to put the forum rules at the top above Main Discussion, just so that it's the first thing anyone will see when they first come here. (And also to put under it in caps something like, PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING.)

I'm a proponent of the "3 strikes, you're out" rule. If someone new comes along and posts something offensive, but they don't seem like a troll, then I think they should have the right to defend themselves. After all, some people are not always aware when they offend others. Also, they might not be aware of certain words that you would prefer not be said. And no one's perfect, we all slip up from time to time, especially when we're in bad moods.

A simple friendly reminder of the preferred rules would probably suffice for the particular poster. If however, they blatantly continue to offend, curse, whatever, then they should be given a strict warning: if they do it one more time, they're gone.

And one last thing... I agree with Matt that questionable posts should be moved to the Trash Bin to be reviewed or perhaps a similar forum made specifically for those types of posts. If it IS deleted for some reason, be it by accident or whatever, whoever deletes it could explain the reasons why they removed the post, like MJ did a couple of weeks ago. I think she made a good call and handled it with Brian very smoothly.

That's about all I can think of concerning this. I think all of the regulars, including myself, are aware of what kind of behavior is acceptable and what's not. Posting rules is still a good idea though, because even the best of us still forget sometimes. ;)

:bat

The Rod says that posting the forum rules seems to be the norm for a number of websites.

Whether or not the last poster was indeed a troll or not is moot, if he/she is unaware of what the rules are, they undoubtedly will say something inapropriate as they, unlike The Regulars & The Rod, will be unaware of the rules.

However, the post which was moved was unacceptable, the poster should have used a little bit of the old gray matter before posting it, it was bound to offend people.

Good shout B-Dude!

Very good so far. I have an invisible category set up right now and it is indeed located at the top of the board just above the Main Discussions category. You'll get to see it once it's done.

I agree that the word Gay is not a bad word or topic. We have stories about homosexuals within TVS and even on the show itself. But using that topic to degrade someone or something is a problem which I am sure we can all agree on.

Posts will not be deleted immediately anymore. They will be moved to the garbage bin and closed until a review can be made of their validity. This way, you folks can choose to read objectionable posts if you wish, and if not, you can skip on by. Anything in the garbage bin may be objectionable to some visitors, so if you go in there, don't be offended. If they are deemed to be troll postings, then they will be deleted permanently after 7 days.

This board should be suitable for all ages. That's the way I designed it. There are only a couple of bad words you can't say on TV right now but some of the words they are starting to use frequently are just as bad. I disagree that just because they can say it on TV, it should be allowed here. Opinions on this?

Good suggestions so far.... do you have some more?

Yeah, I thought that post was a little fishy. Just thought I'd try and spin their head around before they got deleted. I expected Brian to get rid of it and support his decision 100%.

As for suggestions, I trust the ole' Bartender. Brian, whatever you think is best, I'm behind you.

Also, The Rod is right. A LOT of other forums have the rules clearly posted at the top of the board. It's like posting an "Exchange Only" sign in a used record store. If someone complains, just point to the sign and say "you knew the rules when you came in here."

The garbage bin idea is FANTASTIC. Many times, the debate over whether or not something is objectionable spirals out of control. I say move any such material to the garbage bin and trust Brian's judgement as far as deletion goes. He's been a great judge thus far.

Personally, I think setting those elements into play will keep this place friendly as ever.

No muss, no fuss.

In Peace,
Shane

Re: ...

yeah, the ol' rules about posting thingy should definately be adhered to. And I'm ALL about maybe a posting limit... maybe making the post'r having his first post or two be reviewd by a moderator, and then after reviewing and okaying it, then they would be okay from therein.

Don't get me wrong... I hate censorship. BUT I also know the realities of the real world. They don't just hand you keys to a car... you have to prove yourself to be able to drive anywhere.

This website is here because Brian felt strongly about it. We're all here (many of us for about two years now!) because we AGREE with how it's being ran. We know where we can go if we DON'T want all this... most of us came from the scifi.com/quantum area! And this website continues to prosper because of Brian and the rest of the bartender-dude's supporters!!

You do what you feel is right, Brian. You've not made ONE judgement call I've not agreed with. If it's uncomfortable to you, chances are, it's to more than one of us as well!! I appreciate your candor and your willingness to be so open... but we trust ya man! YOU DO A GREAT JOB!!

And from the bottom of my heart... thanks!

Matt

Re: ...

I'm not sure about a posting limit for new people. It could discourage new people from posting here, making them feel like they have to "prove themselves" first, or thinking we're trying to be exclusive to new members. I think that the majority of new people have the right intentions when they come here. The few that come looking for trouble will be banned by a moderator soon enough (there's almost always someone hanging around here..and usually a moderator).

As for language, I totally agree that "ok for tv" does not mean it's "ok". Censors are constantly getting closer to non-existent on most channels. I've heard a lot of garbage on cable tv that would not have been acceptable only a few years ago. But sometimes words slip that we forget might be offensive to some people. If/when that happens, depending on just how offensive that "slip of the tongue" really is, a moderator can either give the person a gentle warning that this is a family board or just move the whole post to the garbage bin.

I'm all for the idea of putting up some rules for people to read as they come here. Maybe some people who come along just don't realize that this is a moderated, family board.

-Biridox (Who is not-so-fondly remembering the sci-fi board days, and happily remembering the transfer) Timo...ugghh...

Suggetsions for rules for the board

It all sounds good so far, everyone. I think the right idea of posting the rules at the top of this main forum would probably work best and not worry too much about new people to the board having to "prove" themselves. I understand that many mailing lists have the option of censoring the first few posts by a new member (like on SmartGroups), but then they dont' really know their post was delayed unless the moderator takes a while to approve it.

Here, however, posts show up immediately, so they would know something is up. I guess if they're told that their first few posts will be moderated, it shouldn't be a problem, but I don't think it would keep trolls away.. they could just as easily do three or four "trustworthy" posts and then start trolling it up...

Since trolls aren't very frequent around here, we should probably just leave the new member situation as is, and take care of trolls as they come... if it gets worse, we should probably bring in more preventative measures.

... Mike. ^_^

Re: Suggestions for rules for the board

There is a feature I could turn on that would allow anyone to see and read the board but have to be approved before posting. What do you all think about that?

Approval before posting?? Isn't that limiting the people who might want to post? ((Shane... I'm going to pick on you just because I can... :b )) But what if I knew Shane wanted to come to chat on the board and I knew that he was going to come in, be all nice and sweet at first but then immediately begin trashing the show? ((Not that Shane would EVER EVER do that...)) I would immediately say a definite "No" as a moderator. Or would you, Brian, be the only one who would approve... or would there be a board of people to confer? You see what I'm getting at there? This could get clickish and clanish very quickly and I don't see this board being like that.

Yes, we are the clan that enjoys Quantum Leap, but we don't want to be the kind that just disapproves of people beforehand.

Now...

I understand what you want to do...

The *ahem* Rules of Engagement on Al's Place Messageboard need to be in place... but not so strick that people are afraid of putting their thoughts down.

I do have another suggestion.

How's about this: If you find a post that is offensive to you... and it upsets you to the point where you are mad... or what to get "even" with the person(s) who are involved... at least wait a day and calm down before you post.

??

Just a thought.

Re: Suggestions for rules for the board

Well that would be so that I could get a working email address for them basically instead of using the board inbox which you can't track down.

I really don't want to do the approval thing, but it's available so I thought I'd get an opinion or 10 lol.

I don't want this to be a super-controlled board either, guys. This thread is just to see how you feel about things and give suggestions for the new help and rules forums coming soon.

Clear as crystal

Sounds good to me! 8) Good job, Brian.

-Biridox

Re: Sounds great!

I'm with everyone else, Brian. It looks like you covered pretty much everything. :)

Re: Sounds great!

Just took a gander...

I like them. BUT PLEASE don't take the following comment wrong guys. I'm leary to bring it up, as it appears I'm the only one that's cautious about this whole thing:

It's almost a bit scary seeing in print so many "Thou shalt not..." type comments, though! LOL! I TRULY understand them...

But I wonder if we might limit #2 and #3 into one type of comment, such as "Profane or inflammitory comments about either a Quantum Leap star (OR fan), be it their personal lives or ficticious character will not be tolerated. Please keep in mind we're trying to maintain a web-friendly board that all family members can come to. If you feel these rules are too strict, please email either the webmaster or one of the moderators, and we'll try to explain the situation more clearly. " OR something to that effect!

I'll go with the board majority, of course. I'm NOT trying to be a stick in the muc... I just am a bit leery of too much censorship. Maybe I'm more "sensitive" to it than most!

goofysmiley.gif

I can see where you're coming from Matt. I just wanted to divide the two and be as specific as possible so that there can be no misunderstandings for new members or for trolls who would come back and say "well I didn't know THAT was out of line" and of course they did.

I'd like to leave it the way it is unless there's some sort of big objection.

Like I said before, we don't want too much censorship and I like to speak as freely as possible of course. I just want to make sure that when a troll comes in and we boot him/her that they don't go over to another board and trash us without having some basic rules that we can then come back with and say "hey, the rules were clear and you broke them."

Make sense?