Stick up with the theme?

isz

Project QL Intern
Jun 4, 2007
Jerusalem,Israel
Lets say a new QL series being made...in your opinion should it stick up with the original theme of Quantum Leap(season 1-4) or a new theme should be compose for the newseries,or maybe you would rather it to go with a theme song?!

This is bound to be an unpopular opinion, but I'm not all that fond of the QL theme song. So it wouldn't matter to me if they wrote something new. Actually, I wouldn't want them to keep the original unless the new series really was a continuation of the original too.

I think there was a thread for this once and someone suggested an awsome song for the theme of the movie, but the old theme is great as well, so I would be happy seeing eaither.

I'd say come up with a new theme altogether. I think the original theme is nothing short of awful, and while I love the Season 5 theme, it wasn't around long enough to be as synonymous with the show as the original. But I think there should be some faint traces of the original theme scattered throughout a brand new song just to link the shows together.

Sam Beckett Fan said:
I think there was a thread for this once and someone suggested an awsome song for the theme of the movie, but the old theme is great as well, so I would be happy seeing eaither.

If you'll find this thread i would be glad,if you'll send me to it.:)

another shameless plug for my favorite singer of all time, "time after time" by the famous cyndi lauper. sam should leap into her for the series! especially as she was singing true colors for the recent tour in st. louis! that'd be a trip!

isz said:
If you'll find this thread i would be glad,if you'll send me to it.:)
Oh gosh, I can try, it might even be in the new music section in which case it shouldn't be too hard........

Time passes......

Oh well that was easy it was right there on the first page.

http://www.quantumleap-alsplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2319
It's a wonderful song. :)

laestrella said:
another shameless plug for my favorite singer of all time, "time after time" by the famous cyndi lauper. sam should leap into her for the series! especially as she was singing true colors for the recent tour in st. louis! that'd be a trip!

Ooh I love that song, but Sam AS her, I am not so sure about.

Thank you SBF.
Anyway after reading the thread,i think it's a kind of a footnote to the subject i raised here. But...Hey All of you can feel free to suggest in this thread possibles theme/theme songs you think could work for a new Quantum Leap series.

Well I think "Any Time You Need a Friend" might make a pretty good theme, It was the song I began the Sam Theme thread with in the music section.

isz said:
Lets say a new QL series being made...in your opinion should it stick up with the original theme of Quantum Leap(season 1-4) or a new theme should be compose for the newseries,or maybe you would rather it to go with a theme song?!

Personally, I like the original QL theme and say they should stick with it.

Sherdran said:
Personally, I like the original QL theme and say they should stick with it.

I'm with you,but...i think it worth trying to compose a new theme or try a theme song... Something like "Fate's wide wheel".

isz said:
I'm with you,but...i think it worth trying to compose a new theme or try a theme song... Something like "Fate's wide wheel".
Agreed 100%
:)
I love the original theme but I would love to also here something new, with lyrics. I am a sucker for good deep lyrics.

I agree Fate's Wide Wheel would be fitting.

I like the original theme, and it would be nice if there was at least an 'echo' of it in something new.

I'd also like to have something with lyrics, but if there are lyrics, they should be sung by Scott!

leaper1 said:
I'd also like to have something with lyrics, but if there are lyrics, they should be sung by Scott!

:bow
Absolutly must be sung by Scott, after all the lyrics would have to be written from Sam's point of view since he is our main man.:angel

As much as I love "Fate's Wide Wheel," I don't think it would make a good theme for two reasons. 1) It's too slow and melancholy; 2) Prefer instrumental themes. I really liked the 5th season theme. It was a variation on the original theme, but more action oriented. Whatever theme they would do, Velton Ray Bunch should write it.

cookiemom6067 said:
I really liked the 5th season theme.
I am going to have to disagree. I dislike the fifth season theme. I mean it sounds fine but it doesn't fit QL.

cookiemom6067 said:
As much as I love "Fate's Wide Wheel," I don't think it would make a good theme for two reasons. 1) It's too slow and melancholy;
For some reason I think Slow is best for this particular show, I don't know there is just something about this show that says slow or medium theme to me.

cookiemom6067 said:
As much as I love "Fate's Wide Wheel," I don't think it would make a good theme for two reasons. 1) It's too slow and melancholy; 2) Prefer instrumental themes. I really liked the 5th season theme. It was a variation on the original theme, but more action oriented. Whatever theme they would do, Velton Ray Bunch should write it.

I didn't mean "Fate's wide wheel" to be a theme song,i ment a theme song that touch the main subject of the all QL Idea.
To be honest i don't think "Fate's wide wheel" wiil fit, too.

About the fifth season theme...I liked the original theme much more.

isz said:
About the fifth season theme...I liked the original theme much more.

Well, a lot of people did - in fact, I think most of QL fandom agrees with you, or did, at the time. I'm actually not sure I prefer one over the other - I like them both very much. I still remember hearing the 5th season theme for the first time when it originally aired and being immediately taken with it. I especially thought the film editor did a VERY cool job of matching the clips shown in the credits to the music.

But, I'm comfortable having a minority viewpoint.

cookiemom6067 said:
in fact, I think most of QL fandom agrees with you, or did, at the time.

Indeed they did. This is why Mirror Image uses the original theme, because at the last convention the fans begged Don to restore it.

Last edited:
Sam Beckett Fan said:
Indeed they did. This is why Mirror Image uses the original theme, because at the last convention the fans begged Don to restore it.

Which gets me to thinking: Would fans feel the same way about the original theme if the situation was reversed? That is, if the Season 5 theme was the main theme and the oirginal was only used for the 5th season. Sometimes people get attached to things and have difficulty accepting change, and I'm not entirely sure that it's necessarily the melody people like more, or the fact that what fans were used to was taken away. I think I do a pretty good job of looking at (or should I say listening to) both themes objectively, and the 5th season theme grabs me a lot more.

Interesting thoughts Chris. In fact my mom and grandma were even talking yesterday while my mom made her dinner, about how commercials despite that a lot of them are annoying actually in a way brainwash people into buying the products. She said that she saw something where these people did a test where they asked others to choose which of a product they would buy and the majority chose the more colorful package despite that both products are the exact same thing just different companies. The point is people tend to be drawn in by things that stand out in form; whether through commercials or colorful packages or a tv show theme song that got drilled so deeply into their minds.

Speaking of the QL theme...Does anybody know what were the exact musical instruments that have been used by the Velton Ray Bunch for the QL theme?!
I think i recognized a piano,trumpets, a saxophone and drums ,but i'm not sure about it...