** Leap Back 2009 Convention Fan-produced DVD **

feldon30

Forum Technician
Jul 13, 2005
SC
Did you film your own experience at the Leap Back 2009 Convention? Did you capture video of Scott, Don, or anyone (or anything) else that you think is worth sharing? Do you want to contribute video to a fan-operated project that could produce a DVD that would be shared with all fans of Quantum Leap?

If you recorded any video at the Leap Back 2009 Convention, you could help participate in this project!

If you recorded video at the Leap Back 2009 Convention and would like to share it on a fan-produced DVD, please send an e-mail to morganfeldon (at) gmail.com. You will be able to submit your video either via FTP upload or standard mail. All submissions, unless requested otherwise, will be treated anonymously and your identity will be protected.

Please Note: This DVD will not be released until the 300 copies of the Leap Back 2009 Convention DVD have been sold by Starlight Foundation.
———————————————————————— —————————————————————————
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Q: What is the purpose of this fan-produced Leap Back 2009 DVD? Wasn't there an official Leap Back 2009 DVD benefitting the Starlight Foundation?

A: There was an official DVD set produced by Barbara Pilnick. However there are major problems with the video, audio, and content of these DVDs which make watching them a less than pleasant experience. Also, only 300 copies are being produced, so once they're gone, they're gone.

Considering several fans recorded their own videos in great quality, it just made sense to pool our resources and produce our own DVD of this once-in-a-lifetime event.

Q: What's wrong with the official DVD?

A: Plenty. The video was shot in a 4:3 ratio on inexpensive standard definition cameras. The picture quality throughout these DVDs is equivalent to a VHS tape. Also, there are issues with the audio level that require turning the volume up and down depending on the scene. There are significant video artifacts on the right side of the image whenever the camera pans. Also, the sequence with Scott, Don, and Dean, has random, distracting color blocks on the right side of the image. Finally, nearly the entire DVD is produced from a single camera angle at the back of the room taken by an inexperienced camera operator.

The DVDs have no chapter stops, so it is impossible to skip ahead to your favorite spots. The DVDs exclude several events from the convention including the Dance, Costume Contest, really any other coverage of the convention such as the autograph rooms, dealer rooms, etc.

In short, the DVD produced does not represent the Convention very well. You can read a review, including snapshots, of the official DVD here.

Q: Who is in charge of this fan DVD?

A:
This project is being run by me, Morgan Feldon, who had no involvement in the running the Leap Back 2009 convention. This project is being done independently of the corporation, convention, Brian Greene, etc.. Just to make this clear, no official logos from the Leap Back 2009 convention, Leap Back 2009 Inc., etc. (other than the logos already present) will be used in the presentation of this DVD. This is not a pet project for the Al's Place website.

Q: Was the Convention filmed in High Definition? Aren't High Definition cameras and video editing expensive?

A: There was at least one High Definition recording made of selected parts of the Leap Back 2009 Convention. We are currently attempting to secure the rights to this footage. High Definition cameras start at $300 and High Definition video can be edited with iDVD and iMovie software which are included for free with every Mac computer.

Q: Aren't you stealing or ripping off a charity by producing a free DVD?

A: No. Starlight has stated in e-mails that they once the 300 DVDs are sold, no more DVDs will be produced. The fan-produced DVD will not be made available to the public until after that supply of 300 discs has been exhausted. Starlight Children's Foundation is not connected to this fan DVD project, but we want to make sure the spirit of the convention continues to benefit children with serious illnesses. We are looking at including a donation to the Starlight Children's Foundation as part of making this DVD available.

Q: Do you have the rights to this footage to make this DVD? Wasn't all video recorded at the Convention property of the corporation?

A: We have secured the rights to this footage from the people who filmed it. No attendees signed away their rights to their own footage when they registered or signed into the convention. I can only thank God thata few people felt a little rebellious and recorded their own video. Otherwise, we would only have the official DVD to remember this event by. This was a once-in-a-lifetime event and the folks who weren't able to attend really have no way to experience the convention the way the rest of us could.

Q: How do I contribute to the Leap Back 2009 fan-produced DVD?

A: Please send an e-mail to morganfeldon (at) gmail.com.

Q: Why would anyone need to donate their video footage anonymously?

A: Barbara Pilnick is an administrator of the Scott Bakula Fan Forum and has banned several members of this forum for speaking up or commenting about the DVD. It is certainly possible that you may be banned from the SBFF if you donate video to this project and your identity is known (we will not reveal it).

However we implore you to think of all the fans around the world who were not able to make it to the convention and how lucky those few of us were to be able to record video of this event and how great it would be to share it with them. That is really the spirit of Quantum Leap and Scott Bakula, not banning people for expressing themselves.

Q: Do you have a vendetta against the former Committee?

A: While we are disturbed at how other Quantum Leap fans, including Brian Greene, have been treated and threatened by members of the former Committee, ultimately, our goal is to produce the great DVD we were all expecting from the 'official' DVD.

Last edited:
Hey feldon, I doubt any fan will touch it, any idea how many of these are left that still need to be sold?

I don't know how many copies are left, but it's the only way you'll be able to get all 13 hours of panels, etc. It really serves no benefit not to buy the DVD except to bruise Barbara's ego.

I bought the official DVD from Starlight and suggest others do the same.

You're donating money to a charity, and getting a recording (albeit a flawed one) of nearly the entire convention.

This fan DVD is what I would consider a supplement to the "official" DVD. A higher quality version of the most exciting (for most of us) part of the convention -- Scott and Don's appearance at the Convention.

I've already started to receive video clips and hopefully others come forward so that we can produce a great supplemental DVD for fans of Quantum Leap.

I think this is a neat idea. Fans have been making and sharing their own DVD's for many years and this should be no exception. Fans sometimes have great perspectives and new takes on things, so this indeed would be a great supplement to the official version.

The ex committee, who repeatedly asked me not to represent myself as The Leap Back 2009, Inc. after we closed has as recently as today been doing exactly that by trying to remove videos from youtube. They have no legal right to do so since they are not a corporation any longer and the clips in question weren't even taken from the official DVD. Barbara is definitely behind those youtube issues as she did the same thing to me on facebook and eventbrite. Feel free to let her have a piece of your mind on this issue at cre612@aol.com.

Also, I recommend getting a copy of the DVD as well. It only benefits Starlight Children's Foundation - the committee has nothing to do with the DVD now except for Barbara who must ship them to you. She is not compensated for this. I've always been a huge supporter of Starlight and hope you'll send a little of your money to make a huge difference in the lives of many sick children while at the same time getting a chance to relive (or perhaps see for the first time) one of the best QL conventions ever put on. Yes, the quality of this looks like it was put together by someone's kid brother, but it's better than nothing.

Es mejor que nada, si. (Translated: Yes, it is better than nothing.)

Only wish that the "committee - minus Brian" had done a better job.

Ah... me thinks that Barbara is the one trying to get everyone to take their vids down because she can see quite obviously how much better they are than what she did herself on the Convention DVD.

It's a shame, really.

I do hope that this supplemental DVD does work because I'd love to see what the other fans were able to get! It could have been something really special!

You know - I'd really love to see some of the video taken during the Costume Masquerade from Saturday night. I mean, there were some beautiful dresses and outfits. There was the sexiness of various shapes and forms and you know, I'd love to see the lovely dress that was worn by one of the ladies. I didn't catch her name, but she did tell me that she made the dress herself. She was portraying Miss Olivia Barrett Covington. I would have loved to at least seen highlights of that. Catch the winners of it and everything. So... please come on, guys and gals... send in your tapes and lets see what you got!

:)

Es mejor que nada, si. (Translated: Yes, it is better than nothing.)

Only wish that the "committee - minus Brian" had done a better job.

Ah... me thinks that Barbara is the one trying to get everyone to take their vids down because she can see quite obviously how much better they are than what she did herself on the Convention DVD.

:)

Not just her, the whole world. That's likely the impetus behind trying to get these removed. Particularly with the amount of charity proceeds that was charged to the "production company".

Yes, MJ, I was very sad to see that there was very little coverage of the evening parties and bands. Did I mention we had permission to use nearly every song from Erika Amato and the EBB band? But - only a few minutes were actually included. Next to nothing of the costume party.

And Barbara won't share the missing footage with anyone. Barbara Pilnick, everyone. cre612@aol.com

I'm flattered but the footage has only just started rolling in. Could be months to get this produced... I'm already getting butterflies as I want to set a high standard for the quality and finish of the DVD.

This forum is currently set to invisible for guests, so if folks know anyone who had a camera at the convention, please get the word out that there is a fan DVD in the works and to have them e-mail me.

I'm flattered but the footage has only just started rolling in. Could be months to get this produced... I'm already getting butterflies as I want to set a high standard for the quality and finish of the DVD.

This forum is currently set to invisible for guests, so if folks know anyone who had a camera at the convention, please get the word out that there is a fan DVD in the works and to have them e-mail me.

Pats members know and I got moderators of sbff and committee members there. Moderators of sbff still have access to this forum too.

As posted on pats:

By popular demand we're combining forces to set up a fan DVD of the Leapcon. I was asked to pass the word if you have the footage and if you care to share it. 40 minutes of my raw footage is already being zipped up now to be send to the one in charge. Please visit
http://www.quantumleap-alsplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5845

Yeah, just so everyone is clear, the quality of the footage by Jo Fox on that trailer is far superior to the official DVD and better yet much more "intimate" and a better sense of what's going on.

Yeah, just so everyone is clear, the quality of the footage by Jo Fox on that trailer is far superior to the official DVD and better yet much more "intimate" and a better sense of what's going on.

Yes it is. I received email from Jo today saying she was not going to participate in the fan DVD and that I could not send you her footage. I guess she's scared Barbara and Helene will kick her off SBFF and other Scott lists if she shares it. A real shame that those two have so much power that our fandom has to suffer without her great footage.

A real shame. Someone needs to dethrone those two immediately.

This is very sad as this is incredible footage, really of the caliber I was expecting from the "official" DVD.

Maybe it would be a good idea to create FAQ about all this. About this new DVD attempt and the reasons for it. So everyone will understand.

I know this is not Brian's say and we would have to ask Chris - A great bonus feature for this set would be the "A Leap to Di For" fanfilm. With hopefully all the premiere and panel discussions on it it would be a perfect way to complete cover all aspects on the convention.

Now this may not be possible for various reasons, just an idea.

agree on the above but Jo is missing the firts bit cause they asked her to turn of her recorder when scott came in an during sitn, so i hope in addition to all the footage Morgan receives it will be complete in the end, and yes definitly it'll be a hell of a lot better quality

Maybe it would be a good idea to create FAQ about all this. About this new DVD attempt and the reasons for it. So everyone will understand.

I know this is not Brian's say and we would have to ask Chris - A great bonus feature for this set would be the "A Leap to Di For" fanfilm. With hopefully all the premiere and panel discussions on it it would be a perfect way to complete cover all aspects on the convention.

Now this may not be possible for various reasons, just an idea.

I think a FAQ would be a great idea. Already the other committee members think it's me making this and are considering sending out an email blast against me - and it's clearly not me doing it lol. They just don't give up with the harassment. We'll see.

But if Chris agrees, I personally would love to see a free disc included that contains the movie and the fan panel from Leap Back 2009. (I know Chris does not want to charge for his movie to be seen.) I had wanted that to be included on the official DVD, but that footage is all missing against my wishes.

Goes to show that my suspicions were correct that not everything of value was included and I was illegally denied access to the raw or completed DVD footage to inspect for missing elements. Barbara lied to our committee, our fans, and even to Starlight when she said it was a complete DVD.

I hope as much fan interaction footage as possible can be included. Too see as many of our friends as possible. Also fans talking to the actors in the autograph lineswould be nice to see.

I've updated the original post with a FAQ. If you guys think of any Questions that I should answer in it, please let me know.

We currently do not have a name for the project (although I have an idea). It will not have Leap Back in the title, but instead *filmed live at the Leap Back 2009 Convention March etc. etc.* as a tagline. As stated in the FAQ, we will not be using any Leap Back logos on the DVD or in the footage.

We are not sure just what footage it will contain. It might be a single DVD, a dual layer DVD, or two DVDs. There is no way to cover the entire event, as footage of the entire event just doesn't exist. However we are hoping for a solid 2-4 hours, including a truly watchable recording of Scott and Don.

As for A Leap to Di For, after 3 weeks of downloading it off bittorrent, I almost have it. ;) I need to find out why it couldn't be included on the original DVD and whether it could be included here.​

I've updated the original post with a FAQ. If you guys think of any Questions that I should answer in it, please let me know.
We currently do not have a name for the project (although I have an idea). It will not have Leap Back in the title, but instead *filmed live at the Leap Back 2009 Convention March etc. etc.* as a tagline. As stated in the FAQ, we will not be using any Leap Back logos on the DVD or in the footage.

We are not sure just what footage it will contain. It might be a single DVD, a dual layer DVD, or two DVDs. There is no way to cover the entire event, as footage of the entire event just doesn't exist. However we are hoping for a solid 2-4 hours, including a truly watchable recording of Scott and Don.

As for A Leap to Di For, after 3 weeks of downloading it off bittorrent, I almost have it. ;) I need to find out why it couldn't be included on the original DVD and whether it could be included here.

I could also get you the 10 music vids that made it into the contest half finals, or the final 5 or just the winning one. :cheers

As for names for this DVD why not set up a topic and let people enter their thoughts on it and than set up a poll of the catchiest titles. :D

Also Ann is a killer in the DVD art cover area, you should have her involved, she made the leapcon earlier covers they're in this thread.

http://www.quantumleap-alsplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5775

I hope as much fan interaction footage as possible can be included. Too see as many of our friends as possible. Also fans talking to the actors in the autograph lineswould be nice to see.

I taped my friend talking to Scott but it was so loud you really can't hear what they're talking about and I was like two feet away taping it :)

Well that could be included as part of a montage of other fans talking to Scott.

I would think the issue with the fanfilm is that it can not appear to Universal that it directly is being sold for profit. So it has to be clearly worded to be a freebie with the "true purchase. Other fanfilms have even sold the DVD cover art with a free DVD included.

While its unfortunate that this all is necessary there is a nice benefit. Its a new project to keep our community connected.

After all this time, it appears that not all copies of the Leap Back 2009 DVD have been bought yet (there is still a link to buy some at the Starlight site).

Are the plans for a fan-made DVD still in place? If so, maybe we should pool our money together to make a donation to Starlight to get the remaining Leap Back DVDs, so that the fan project can be put forward...

After all this time, it appears that not all copies of the Leap Back 2009 DVD have been bought yet (there is still a link to buy some at the Starlight site).

Are the plans for a fan-made DVD still in place? If so, maybe we should pool our money together to make a donation to Starlight to get the remaining Leap Back DVDs, so that the fan project can be put forward...

There were a set number of DVD's budgeted to be produced. The budgeted number of original DVD's have definitely been sold. The DVD's offered at Starlight must be produced at the home of the only person in possession of the original footage or from someone just making copies at this point. It was over two years ago. The Leap Back 2009, Inc. is closed and has no legal representatives. Fan owned footage can be put together as much as anyone would like at this point. Anyone that claims otherwise could not possibly be, well... a fan. No one I know of has ever tried to shut down a fan-produced DVD of convention footage unless it's being done for a big profit. Circulating such a DVD could only help promote Quantum Leap, which is a good thing for everyone. However, if you are wanting to donate to a good cause, Starlight is at the top of my list!

I'm pretty sure that's what's happening too. Starlight ran out of DVDs? We can just print more!

As for a fan-produced DVD, there just isn't enough footage available free-and-clear to mount such a project. Folks generally won't come forward because they don't want to get blacklisted from future Scott Bakula events by the people who run them.

My biggest QL regret is not having brought my video camera. :( I figured
A) I wouldn't be allowed to set it up
B) The official event footage would be reasonably good

I'm pretty sure that's what's happening too. Starlight ran out of DVDs? We can just print more!

As for a fan-produced DVD, there just isn't enough footage available free-and-clear to mount such a project. Folks generally won't come forward because they don't want to get blacklisted from future Scott Bakula events by the people who run them.

My biggest QL regret is not having brought my video camera. :( I figured
A) I wouldn't be allowed to set it up
B) The official event footage would be reasonably good

If you know of anyone who has good footage, could you PM them asking if they'd share it? Let them know that everything will be kept anonymous of course :)

If you know of anyone who has good footage, could you PM them asking if they'd share it? Let them know that everything will be kept anonymous of course :)
If you want any chance of meeting Scott Bakula at one of his relatively infrequent public appearances, you must stay on the good side of a certain clique of SB fans. Until the influence of those individuals is diminished, fear of being excommunicated will keep fan footage locked away out of our reach.

And no, I can't believe I just typed that about fans of a TV/movie star either.

If you want any chance of meeting Scott Bakula at one of his relatively infrequent public appearances, you must stay on the good side of a certain clique of SB fans. Until the influence of those individuals is diminished, fear of being excommunicated will keep fan footage locked away out of our reach.

Very sad, but very true.

This is funny, because my girlfriend and I just recently discovered that she is literally 2 degrees separated from Scott Bakula. We were watching "The Leap Home" and she saw the name Caroline Kava pop up on screen. My girlfriend suddenly screamed, paused the episode and told me. When she attended the University of Miami, Caroline Kava actually instructed and directed her in a stage production many years back. Then she screamed again when she said, "Oh my God, she got to kiss Scott Bakula!" She knows some producers who are developing a solo cabaret show for her at the end of May, and one of the songs she wants to do is called "Two Degrees from Scott Bakula." :lol

(So, technically, that would mean I'm 3 degrees from Scott Bakula. Although, come to think of it, I already was before that because I personally know Lori Loughlin who starred with Bob Saget in Full House. Bob Saget worked with Scott in "Stand Up.")

Anyway, the reason I bring this up is because I know a little bit about some of the nasty details Brian and Feldon are referring to in reference to the 2009 Con, and Amada (my girlfriend) is a singer/actress who probably has quite a few connections that she isn't even fully aware of. So, if anyone came close to being able to meet Scott, she'd probably be the one. And it wouldn't matter if a bunch of so-called "fans" tried to stop us, they can just kiss my @$$! Perhaps someday when Amada becomes rich and famous (which she will!) :D