A Leap on Jump Street: A Leap for Judy and Tom Chapter 9

SammyJoBeckett

Project QL Intern
May 17, 2006
A Leap on Jump Street Chapter 9

Quantum Leap: A Leap on Jump Street Series
A Leap for Judy and Tom
By Heather Samantha Beckett
Disclaimer: I do not own the concept of Quantum Leap or 21 Jump Street or their characters, those solely belong to Don Belisario (Quantum Leap) and Stephen J Cannell and Patrick Hasburgh (21 Jump Street)
Chapter 9 Tom Hanson MD/Why Haven't I Leaped?
Al walked through the bathroom door and when he did he saw Sam and Bailey gun's pointed at each other.
"So what are you going to do pretty boy cop" Are you going to shoot me?" Bailey taunted.
"Sam he is taunting you. Be careful you are not a cop" warned Al. "Don't let your emotions get the best of you. Remember you are here to prevent this. Think about Judy''s life and Tom's job Sam."
"I know what I'm doing Al. I know why I'm here," Sam snapped.
"Oh here we go again with the voices," laughed Bailey. "What are you some kind of nut case who keeps talking to himself?"
"If you lower your gun Bailey I won't be forced to shoot. If you are unarmed I can't shoot you," Sam said calmly.
"Well you know if I got a hostage here," Bailey said grabbing Judy suddenly without taking his eye or gun off of Sam, "then you are the one who really needs to lower your gun," continued Bailey.
"You are right," Said Sam lowering Tom's gun. "Just don't hurt anyone. Don't make your life worse with murder on your conscience."
Bailey laughed an evil laugh and sent shivers up Sam's spine. Was this guy really that uncaring and malicious?
"Isn't it nice knowing you can't do anything to save your little girlfriend or should I say my girlfriend," Bailey said cocking his gun and turning to face Judy.
"But I can," said Michelle who suddenly ran to Judy's side and attempted to kick the gun from Bailey's hand. "This is for my friends and the girls you use and abuse."
Before Michelle had the chance to kick the gun from Bailey's hand there was a loud BOOM and Judy fell to the ground. Bailey was about to take a shot at Michelle when there was another loud boom and this time Bailey fell to the ground.
"Damn he shot me that punk cop actually had the balls to shoot me," Bailey said grabbing his leg, he looked down and saw the blood all over his hands and the blood that was flowing from Judy's neck and then he fell out of consciousness.
"Wow Sam I didn't know you had it in you," Said the shocked Al.
"I didn't cost him much damage Al. I'm a pacifist remember? I'm not a killer. That's why I shot his leg, enough damage to preoccupy him but not enough to cost any long term damage."
''Tom, Judy!" cried Michelle.
Sam rushed to Judy's side. "Go call for an ambulance," Sam instructed Michelle.
Michelle ran out of the door as fast as her legs could carry her. At the same time as Michelle left, Sam could hear Captain Fuller, Ioki and Penhall talking to Clayton about the situation.
"I heard 2 gunshots" said Clayton worriedly. "I don't know who was shot."
Penhall, Ioki and Fuller all exchanged nervous glances. Michelle who had found Clayton and the guys began to shake. "It . it . it. was Judy. Bailey shot Judy. Tom, shot Bailey's leg. It it it's my fault," Michelle buried her head in Clayton's shoulders and began to sob uncontrollably. Clayton stood there and held her. Michelle looked up and he began to wipe the tears from her face. "I tried to be a hero and kick the gun out of Bailey's hand and he shot her. I compromised her life," Michelle began to sob again.
Penhall, Ioki and Fuller busted in the bathroom to see a shirtless Sam kneeling over Judy's body. His hands covered with blood and his shirt was soaking up the blood pouring from Judy's neck. Doug, Harry and Adam stared at Sam and Judy with a mixture of fear and shock in their eyes.
"She is in shock her pupils are dilated and her breathing is slow and shallow. Since I have her on her back I need to elevate her feet higher than her head .I need one of you guys to get hold her feet up since I have her on her on her back. I can't take my hands off her neck or she will bleed to death," Said Sam with authority.
Ioki kneeled down and gently lifted Judy's legs and held them.
"I need another shirt," Sam said staring at the guys. He wasn't expecingt Kristi to strip off her shirt in front of male police officers. Penhall got the hint and started taking off his shirt."Are you going to make a tourniquet?"
"No sometimes there are undesired side affects when using tourniquets."
"Really? Like what Dr Hanson?" teased Penhall. Humor was Penhall's way of hiding his serious emotions and seeing Judy lie there of the floor bleeding to death was more than he could bear.
"Like temporary or permanent injury to the underlying nerves and muscles, as well as systemic complications resulting from limb ischemia, including acidemia, hyperkalemia, arrhythmias, shock, limb loss, and death," said Sam answering Penhall who along with Fuller and Ioki was staring at him wide eyed.
"What's with all the big words Hanson? I know they didn't teach you that at the academy," Said Doug.
"Look I don't mean to sound rude but I need that shirt now Penhall," Sam yelled.
"Ah dude we need to wait for the ambulance," said a dazed Penhall handing his shirt over to Sam.
"Yea Tom we want Judy to be saved as much as you do but we need to wait for the medical pros," Said Fuller agreeing with Penhall.
"He is the pros," said Al even though he knew good and well that no could hear him except for Sam.
Sam ignored Penahll and Fuller. He had his ear to Judy's chests. "She's not breathing Al."
Al pressed buttons on his handlink. "Sam Ziggy says Judy dies from lack of oxygen and at the autopsy found the bullet lodged in her esophagus.
"Is she going to die?" Ioki asked anxiously.
"I need someone to go to the med center and get me a first aid kit and a scalpel. I need to make an incision. The bullet needs to be extracted. It's lodged in her esophagus and if she doesn't get more oxygen she's going to die. I know what I'm doing just go," Sam said anxiously.
"I'll go," Said Penhall leaving the bathroom as quickly as possible. He couldn't handle the blood anymore.
Judy quit breathing and Sam asked Ioki to take his place in holding Doug's T-shirt applying pressure over Judy's bleeding area, and he quickly administered moth to mouth. He could hear shallow breaths from Judy's lungs. In no time Doug was back with the medical supplies that Sam needed.Sam had Fuller pour alcohol in a small container and set the scalpel and tweezers in it and let them sit a few seconds so they could sterilize. He then took the scalpel and made a small incision on Judy's neck. In no time he had extracted the bullet. Penhall fainted. Sam took some gauze pads and placed them on the incision and the original wound and applied pressure to them. He taped them around her neck. Just then the paramedics arrived and tended to Judy and Bailey who by then was conscious and griping about his flesh wound. The paramedics loaded Judy and Bailey in the ambulance and transported them to the nearby hospital.
"You saved her life," said the doctor who was treating Judy, "because of your quick thinking Miss Hoffs is going to be just fine."
"I'm an MD," Said Sam who quickly bit his tongue. The doctor, Michelle the gang, and the other officers were staring at Sam.
"I mean my uncle was a doctor and I spent a lot of time with him as a kid," said Sam correcting himself.
"Tom Hanson MD who would have thought," laughed Penhall.
"Well you did it," Said Al suddenly appearing out of nowhere. "You saved Judy's life and you saved Tom's job because you as a police officer you shot an armed suspect shot a hostage. What you did was legal. You should be proud of yourself.
"I know Al, but why haven't I leaped yet?"
"I don't know. Ziggy says Judy made detective and is still on the force and Tom is now Jump Street's captain. Also Tracy Cooper came out of her coma and both she and her sister Melissa were back to school 2 weeks after this incident. both of them along with Michelle Mitchell, Clayton Prescott, Kristi Johnson, Jarod Learner, and Aaron Moore all graduated with honors. Most of them went on to ivy league schools. Clayton and Michelle got married after med school and they both work at the same hospital. Jarod became a lawyer, Aaron is now a successful author, and Kristi is a famous Broadway star. Melissa and Tracy joined the police academy and became part of the Jump Street program. It seems to me you should be leaping now. Something is off. I can't place my finger on it."
***************************************************************************************************************************
Back in the year 2000 in Project Quantum Leap's waiting room Gooshie hears the cries of officer Tom Hanson.
"I have to be with her. She needs me. I can't live without her. Please if anyone can hear me help her please, and send me back. Please send me back. I'll do anything, but please more than anything just save her and protect her from that monster. She deserves better. She deserves me. I hope it's not too late."