When did your interest in time travel start?

Well, I've been wanting to reply to this board for quite some time now, but I decided to do it now...

Well, my interest in time-travel was developped watching Star Trek: The Next Generation, because since it was placed in the future, it was a bit like time-travel for me.
However, I think that it really got intense after I watched Back To The Future, and especially the third since the main female character has my name!!! Clara!!!

That was my little input on the subject...

Now, for your reply, Ross, I HAVE seen the movie, but I though it was cute... not more... until I saw it again on my TV (rented) I really think the time-travel concept was well developped, it was so weird!!! The guy without knowing it, went out with his great-grandmother.... WWEEEEIIIIIRRRDDDD!!!!

Anyways, gotta run!!!

May the Leap Be With You
(Does it show that I'm also a Star Wars fan? LOL ;-p)

Clara

Actually, I saw "Kate & Leopold" this past year... (that feels weird, referring to 2003 as "the past year"...) Anyway, it was rather chick-flickish, but not all that bad. About the only thing that entertained me was the time travel. :b I also loved the joke about the "erection". :lol

... Mike. ^_~

I have been interested as far back as I can remember (stupid swiss-cheese memory) with time-travel, but I can remember my earliest influences before QL:

4th impact (and the greatest one) is the BTTF trilogy...I remember going to see Goonies in the theater in the summer of '85 and it was gone and this Back To The Future movie was just opening in its place, and the poster with the Delorean and the fire trails looked cool, so my friends and I figured (to borrow a line from Doc Brown) "What the hell!"...been hooked ever since

3rd impact Star Trek City On The Edge Of Forever episode...I hated Star Trek (hold on) until my dad dragged me to see Wrath Of Khan ('82)and that got me, then I watched the episodes on PBS Saturday nights (not much to do in grade school)

2nd Impact: Got hooked on Twilight Zone when I was little and always liked any episode dealing with time travel (and there were a bunch)

1st Impact:planet Of The Apes movies...I was about 4 or 5 when I started watching the Go Ape Week marathons on the local station...I had all the book/records for those (still do - and who remembers those Power Records things?)..The thought of destroying the world in one movie and then going back in time to alter history in the next movie (not to mention the Statue Of Liberty ending - a Rod Serling touch) was a very heavy subject for a little kid

Now if I can only finish what I start: I tried to write a QL novel years ago, wrote 40 pages and never got back to it...
Someday I'd like to finish it (if the world remembers QL in 30 years, lol), maybe I can go back in time when I have all the time I need to just write (sponge off my younger self for money, sleep in, and write everyday, and no job)

40 pages is a lot for a short story. Not even close to being a novel though! :lol You already knew that.
Anyway, the end of Planet Of The Apes was pretty freaky.:eek To find out that the humans traveled an extremely long distance to just end up back at home! Many, MANY years later. Seeing the Statue of Liberty on the beach. That reminds me of the movie Space Balls. Funny movie!:rollin
I have the movie of the Twilight Zone. I remember the part where some guy gets transported back to WW2 in Germany via the TZ.
Also, I must say that QL will live forever. Like any other scifi series, no one will forget about it.:) :cheers to a great Quantum Leap year!

~Steve(aka RossBeckett)
:leap

It might not be a novel now, but I am going back to finish. Hopefully, I will re-structure it and then if I move fast enough, submit it as a 2 parter for the VS.

Another great time travel movie is Frequency! Starring Dennis Quaid and Jim Caviezel. In the movie, John Sullivan(Jim Caviezel), homicide detective, gets the chance to communicate with his father, Frank Sullivan(Dennis Quaid), via an old radio that Frank had. I thought the most interesting part of the movie was the fact that John could remember the original history. He remembered what it was like when his father died in the fire, and remembered his mom's phone# after she was murdered.
It was just a really cool movie that I highly recommend to any of you who haven't yet watched it. Damon made a reference to it in his debut QL episode, Second Genesis among others.:)

~Steve(aka RossBeckett)

In addition to my previous reply, I saw a VERY familiar name on the TV screen that John Sullivan was watching. On the TV they were talking about the Aurora Borealis with a certain physicist. Guess who it was! ;)
Hint: www.quantumleap-alsplace.com

~Steve(aka RossBeckett)

P.S. Jim Caviezel(aca James Caviezel) starred in Mel Gibson's film The Passion Of The Christ as Jesus. It was on the cover of Newsweek. Sounds really intriguing!
P.P.S. I'm not sure if anyone knows what "aca" stands for, but it means also credited as.
The article by Jon Meacham
Also a very happy birthday to Quantum Leap guest-star Jennifer Aniston! Today is her 35th birthday.
b. February 11, 1969.

Re: I agree about BTTF2

Definitely started with Back to the Future.

I am like a lot of people here. I started with the BTTF Trilogy. Then I started disecting the story and thought about how , if in BTTF part 1, Marty didn't get his parents back together in time, he would have ceased to exist. Therefore he couldn't have gone back in time and interupted in his parents first meeting. Therefore, they would have met, fallen in love, gotton married, had kids, and marty would have gone back in time to ruin everything again.
It was the first time I looked at the effect of a paradox and that just peaked my intrest, after that I was hooked.
Tom
Als Handlink

I don't think any person has analyzed the BTTF trilogy more than I have over the years! :b It was just such a great story and really got you thinking about how time-travel works. It was also the first time I had ever heard the word "paradox" used.

I was so glad to see that Q&A segment in the BTTF DVD set. I think just about every single theory I came up with to explain things was confirmed in that segment. Probably one of the most confusing aspects of the story had to be in Part 3, when 1985-Doc is stranded in 1885 and Marty gets help from 1955-Doc to follow him back there. Then when Marty finally meets up with him, 1985-Doc doesn't seem to remember sending him back there or even remember finding out he was going to die. Huh?

Well, it's pretty simple actually... in the timeline that 1985-Doc originally came from, he DIDN'T help Marty that second time. Once he and Marty went back to 1955 in Part 2, it became a new timeline and the "other" Doc did things differently. Same reason why the "other" Marty in Part 2 was still trying to get his parents back together. The "other" Marty grew up in the original timeline, in which his father got hit by the car. ;)

I have to also say that some of my all-time favorite episodes of Star Trek involved time-travel. DS9's "The Visitor" in my opinion is still Star trek's finest hour, hands-down. "Yesterday's Enterprise" from TNG, "Year of Hell" and "Timeless" from Voyager, and "Twilight" from Enterprise all follow pretty closely behind it.

And growing up, I was constantly acting out numerous stories about time-travel, always trying to come up with the most complex ideas imaginable. Maybe if I have time, I'll share some of them with you all someday. :)