I wish I knew...

QL Damsel

Al's Place / TVS & QR & Radio Files Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2002
Near Austin Texas
www.quantumleap-alsplace.com
what I did to my back. I woke up this morning, feeling fine - a bit stressed but fine. I got the kids up, ate a bite of breakfast, and started my day as any other. About half-way through the drive to work (I drive 45 miles to work), my back started to ache... twitch... and twinge with an ever present ache.

By the time second period came around (9:45ish) my back was throbbing. It would make me stop in the halls to pause because of a severe lower back twinge that spread out across my back and go down into my bottom and up my spine. I had students asking if I was okay and if I needed help.

Nevertheless, I came home at lunch. I went to the chiropractor, (who is a sweetheart) who iced it and put what he calls the rod stem (a rod that lays across your back and where-ever it lands there is an electronic pulse that runs through your back. It's AWESOME!) on my back. Then he put me back into place.

It seems that my hips were out of alignment again... which does happen, but why on earth would it, today, give me such a hard time?

He did tell me that tonight and tomorrow would be booger-bears to deal with after he put me back into alignment, but that if I need to go back, he'd be more than happy to see me on Monday.

I'm just glad that I was able to see him....

Here's to hoping that my back will be better. :)

Please, just keep me in your thoughts that I will get better.

Thanks, all.

MJ

It sounds like something dropped out of place, possibly while you were sleeping. That happens to me sometimes. My hips are almost always out of alignment; my legs are different lengths. But, like you, my chiropractor is wonderful, and he has done me so much good since I've been going to him. (I walked in on a cane, and now I'm back to teaching karate, and I've started running, as well.)

Thinking of you, MJ. :)

Lots of prayers and pixie dust for you, my friend!

:gentle hugs:

Don, that sounds like it's either a pinched nerve, or restless leg syndrome. Both conditions can be treated. I would go get it checked. :)

Sciatica perhaps? I developed it a few months ago. I was sitting down just fine and BAM it hit when I got up. I've been fighting the pain ever since.

If the pain goes down one (or both) legs, that would be a sure sign.

newleaper said:
Sciatica perhaps? I developed it a few months ago. I was sitting down just fine and BAM it hit when I got up. I've been fighting the pain ever since.

If the pain goes down one (or both) legs, that would be a sure sign.

No, it doesn't go down my legs, but it does go up the spine a bit. It mostly is in the lower back area and slightly extends into the middle back.
backmuscles.jpg

Makes it difficult to walk without pain especially when it tenses up.

It SUCKS!

Thanks Dermie. I'm sorry that you have to deal with this type of thing too.

MJ

It sounds like something dropped out of place, possibly while you were sleeping. That happens to me sometimes.

Also if you hurt your self the day before and didn't feel pain when it happened, that could be what's hitting you now. I've heard of this happening and I've also had it happen to me. Do you use a waterbed or airmattress? That could be to blame. Hope you feel better soon.

systemcat said:
Also if you hurt your self the day before and didn't feel pain when it happened, that could be what's hitting you now. I've heard of this happening and I've also had it happen to me. Do you use a waterbed or airmattress? That could be to blame. Hope you feel better soon.

No air mattress... no waterbed. I have a very good bed, so it's not that. I think that it might have just wiggled out of place. Ever since that (explicative deleted) wreck a couple of years ago that just about killed me, my hips have been out of sorts. They've weakened.

Oh well... I'm still hurting, but I'm back at work. Oy. :banghead

MJ

If you want to try it, the best thing to do is to take a class, and tell the teacher about your back trouble. Look for a class that's advertised as gentle or relaxing--no power yoga for you. If you just try it on your own with a videotape or something, it could do more harm than good. And don't do any yoga posture that gives you more pain.