Sam Home

angvav

Temporary Account
This may sound like a silly question, and may have been asked before, but anyways...........

Would Sam have ever made it back "Home" had the show lasted longer than 5 seasons?

Whats everybodies thoughts on this?

Did anyone want/or not want sam to return home?

:)

I agree. If the show continued, it probably would have focused more on the Evil Leaper Project, but Sam would have returned home in the last episode.

I don't know, I wonder if Sam really can go home.
He may be home and start leading a life again, but will he stay there?
Won't the accelerator beckon?

There is a difference between what people think they want and what they really want cometimes. So all this time that Sam thought he wanted to be home, maybe he might realize that he just wanted to have the sense of 'completeness' that he believes he had before and longs for the connectedness that he lost, but really wants to keep leaping. Just a hypothesis.

well quite interesting your thoughts on this subject but dont forget something, that unfortunatelly sam might had forgotten in the last episode the mirror image.His daughter sammi jo.and specially when she is working for the ql project this could be a very strong reason to leave the leapings backworth and forthworth behind for once and concentrate on beeing a father.
and besides when sam returned home and saw he was married to donna He didnt want to leap anymore and the only reason he did it for once time it was to save als life.so this time when he would remember donna and sammi jo then he defo would never leap again

leaper said:
well quite interesting your thoughts on this subject but dont forget something, that unfortunatelly sam might had forgotten in the last episode the mirror image.His daughter sammi jo.and specially when she is working for the ql project this could be a very strong reason to leave the leapings backworth and forthworth behind for once and concentrate on beeing a father.
and besides when sam returned home and saw he was married to donna He didnt want to leap anymore and the only reason he did it for once time it was to save als life.so this time when he would remember donna and sammi jo then he defo would never leap again

I know what you mean, he reverted to pre-leap Sam + family. Would have been interesting to observe him for a while and see what he'd do. So yeah, Donna nd Sammi Jo would be a good reason to stop Leaping. For me the fact that he may change his mind was the main reason why he could not go back ever again. So post-leap Sam would be ready to give up the memories and his old identity because the risk of stopping to Leap was too high. So the way i saw the Mirror Image choice was that he had a chance to live his own life and he was 'trying' to be selfish...relatively... and figured out he couldn't be.
The fact that he chose 'one more mission' to help Al, made him realize who he was. So bartender Al had kinda set him up :)
Just my interpreation of course.

[Yes if the show would of lasted I know that Sam would of leaped home.
I often had this dream that he leaps into Hawaii where his sister Katie lives and is there reunited with his Mother and her.
I also thought that he would get to see Sammy Jo again and introduce her to his family.

:cheers uote=angvav]Would the stories for QL be limitless if sam returned home????[/quote]

No he wouldn't have leapt home... the point of the episode Mirror Image was to establish that putting right what once went wrong is Sam's life work. He wouldn't give that up for anything, because of his selflessness.

I think that Lightening McQueenie's point is very interesting. Sam always wanted to go home, but the paradox of the matter would be that Project Quantum Leap is his life's work, and his calling in life was to "put right what once whet wrong".

I gave the reason that Sam would go home because I was be transcending the point of the plot to appease the fact that it was a television show. Most viewers like closure, and I think that the writers would have made Sam go home not for any logical reason on Quantum Leap, but because the show is just that, a television show. We may be fans of the show, but most shows that run the first time through are not appeasing to fans like us (unless they are put on for a long time, and develop a cult following), but for the common viewer, who will move on to newer shows once the new shows of today are cancelled. Those are the people who want a definite ending, so they can move on to the next television show, confident that they have seen Quantum Leap all the way through. Am I making sense here?

But if the show was written by fans, then I think that Sam would indeed continue to leap around, and there would be no concrete ending.

Thats interesting you should say that oh Boy, because when i read the question i knew straight away my answer, which is -

I would want them to find a way to bring Sam back but he would choose to keep leaping as long as they could bring him home whenever he wanted.

I think this way i get the best of both worlds, i get Sam home but also him to keep leaping.
This would still have to be the last episode though because if Sam could go home at anytime it would take some of the fun out of watching it.

So like oh boy said the fans dont want him to get home so he keeps the leaping alive, but i always like a happy ending!

Hey! I made the point too!

Although 'lightning' was much more to the point :lol
anyway: :cheers I'm glad we agree

I don't think there was any need to end the show the way it was ended...

The alternate ending would have been a MUCH more fitting ending, the fans could then make up their own minds about if he ever comes home...

I don't mind this ending. I think it may have bothered me if he went home and it was all over. Of course Sam would deserve going home looking just at the character.
An open end would have been nice too, of course, but the idea of him still being out there, doing his thing... it works for me.

Going to the future would have bothered me. Not saying it coudn't have worked, and I may have ended up loving it, but it's just such a different concept.

angvav said:
The thing that makes me think is....

How would sam help people in the future?

:)
*nod* same thing here, he loses having Ziggy and Al and the rest of the team being able to help him with information. Except if the past-Leaping was just 'training' and now his intuition is so well developed that he'd be fine... hmmm.

But wouldn't GTFW, have Leapers starting further in the future to handle that timeframe?

I have a different view on this...

If I was to have Sam make a leap to the future, it would be so he could TRAIN future leapers...