Quantum leap a leap to far chapter 1

John64

Project QL Intern
Mar 20, 2018
Hi this story is complete but is still in development so if you see any spell errors etc please let me know and please let me know what you think of the story all feedback given always help to make the work even better enjoy.

"Theorising that one could time travel within his own lifetime, Doctor Sam Beckett stepped into the Quantum Leap accelerator and vanished... He woke to find himself trapped in the past, facing mirror images that were not his own, and driven by an unknown force to change history for the better. His only guide on this journey is Al, an observer from his own time, who appears in the form of a hologram that only Sam can see and hear. And so Doctor Beckett finds himself leaping from life to life, striving to put right what once went wrong, and hoping each time that his next leap will be the leap home…”

A leap too far

Oct 30 1965

Prologue

I was having the most amazing dream.
I was floating through time my spirit flying across my own lifetime. I was flying like superman but without the suit it was wondrous I felt like a child again fantasising when I was small flying through the air like a speeding bullet but somehow it felt different somehow. This wasn't a safe flight like being on a public plane with the captain saying "please put your seat belts on now please." I am rushing through time like the wind roiling through the clouds like at almost an impossible speed and below underneath me was like a great ocean of time sprinkling like diamonds and I could see myself from birth going all the way into his future. I also could see all the other lifetimes I have leaped into making right what once went wrong as me being many different people with all thoses mirror images looking back at me from beyond the mirror during this moment it would be the only time I would ever have while leaping through time I would have a perfect memory of who I was and why I was travelling through time the only problem is the moment I became someone else my mind would turn into cheese and Swiss cheese at that and all my mind would feel like mash potato all mashed together. But while I was leaping my mind would think of donna and i would try and reach out to her across time my mind calling out to her crying out "Donna!" and of the project my heart was always there even tho physically it seemed like I was never there. From time to time I would swear that Donna could hear me.

At one moment it felt like I was going up and up and up and then suddenly I stopped dead in mid air and I plummet down and down towards the earth like superman flying at top speed from just hearing someone in need. The earth was rising towards me at frightening speed. I felt like a pilot trying to lift the nose of the plane while the plane was saying few minute to me "pull up, pull up."

I gasped as I felt an intense boom! It started me After a few minutes like always I landed the blue light of Leaping fades, I Sam Beckett found myself in my latest leap. I had gotten accustomed to finding myself in strange surroundings and after the electrical energy faded away. I found myself sitting in an old armchair I was wearing a red smoking jacket and a suit and a old pipe was in my mouth I took it out coughing. a fire was burning in the centre of the room. The light of the day was fading away and evening was setting in fast. Like with many leaps I shrugged mentally trying to hold onto anything of myself but it flet like I was on a ice berg and it was melting fast. Sometimes being someone else always felt like to me a never ending dream that I was constantly trapped in. I closed my eyes and waited for anything to happen like - UFOs, dancing sheep, clowns anything but nothing happened. I could smell the aftershave I was wearing. I opened my eyes again but like this whole house I had never seen it before but it felt like I had it was wried as if the mind of the person I had leaped into was still with me inside my trapped and lost just like me. The curtains near by was red I had never seen them before but also it was strange but they also felt like old friends and me being here was like I was being reuniting with them. But I knew this wasn't my house, and I knew this wasn't a dream.

Chapter 1

I was holding a book in my hands and said to myself.

"this is weirdly familiar" I took a deep breath, I told myself. I counted my A B C and I tried to visualize.... What? I was confused a name came to me "Donna" "yes think of Donna..." But I couldn't remember her and said again to myself "who's Donna?" And then the name had disappeared completely. "who was I just thinking of no matter how hard I tried the name was lost to me. Completely out of reach.

I felt totally disoriented and the feeling didn't go away and a new concern came to me" where was I? "" who was I?" what the hell was going on? After a long think I tried to discover what those answers were to my own questions but I kept drewing up a blank

I read the page on the book in front of me on my lap saying "the snake wraps itself around the tree and says to Adam take eat from the tree of knowledge and you shall be like gods knowing good from evil."

It continues saying then the snake became the devil and leaps from one lifetime to another making wrong where there once once good."

I flicked through the book and the entire book apart from what I had just read was completely blank.

I dropped the book and was unsure what to make of the writing.

I got up feeling shaken and forced myself to leave the sitting room but before I left the room I looked around the room saying

"hello anyone there?"

I heard a voice calling me by name. A
butler walks into the sitting room opening the double doors and closing it behind him and he says

"is everything OK sir?"

"am OK thank you"

"is there anything else I can do for you?"

"no not really. But can you tell me is there any one else here."

The butler says "good night" and leaves

I found a nearby mirror on the wall and I looked at myself in the mirror to me looking in all thoses mirrors for the past five years I was so used to seeing total strangers looking back at me from beyond my own reflection not my own reflection. That is the person staring back at me had dark hair and a young face and had a happy expression on our faces because I was happy to see a male face looking back at my beyond the looking glass. and he gave him self a big sign of relief I was so greatful that I wasn't a woman again. But i did wonder to myself if one day would I ever see my own face again.

Leaping in and out of other peoples lives across time has helped me to do and see and do sometimes many wonderful things.

Leaping around in time always felt like a big roulette wheel one moment you could be a test flight pilot trying to break mark 3 and next I find myself in a completely new place and time dressed sometimes like a woman.

One of the most valuable lessons I've learned from leaping around in time is that everyone deserves a second chance.

Sam looked around the room and it felt like he had been there once before the main room had two old looking chairs and the whole room and house looked very halloweeny but he said to himself "how can this be?" he quickly dismissed the idea and the house was a old victorian house while he was investigating Sam saw some near-by books on a shelf and they where very warn looking old sherlock Holmes novels.

But interesting to Sam he found another novel that shouldn't of been there a blue bowed leather book he pulled the book out and the title read

"project Quantum leap

Sam's travels through time."

Sam says out loud "oh boy!"

Sam thought about the situation the situation I tried to remain calm I knew this wasn't a dream but it felt like one the plain truth is I didn't know who I was and way I was here to change but I knew like aways that Al would be here to tell me what to do so I turned around and he could hear the sound of the imageing chamber door opening and closing and Al was standing by his side smoking his cigar and smoke was raising up from the cigar Al was looking at Sam like he was in deep concentration and wearing a muiti colour tie and wearing a light blue blazer. And pants.

Al says" well this brings back memories hi sam" Al looking a bit down

"is everything OK?"

"its just Me and Tina we've had a fight again and I am having to move out if I got a dollar for every time that happened to me.... I would be well off. How many times have I had to move out?

He said to himself and counting his fingers.

no maybe when i was with my second or third wife..."

Sam says "Al you have to see this book"

Al replys "what book?"

"this book" but to Sam's surprise Sam wasn't holding any book of any kind and he said "Al it was just here in my hands where has it gone?"

Sam looked back at the book shelf but the shelf was full of books with no sign of the mysterious book he had just picked up.

Looking deeply confused

Al continued to say tapping on the hand link in front of Sam

"you must of been dreaming... OK its October 30, 1965

and your name is Sam,

Looking at the hand link more closely your names Sam,

Sam this is great you can use your own name again this time Sam.

Sam replys yes and?

and Al continues" sorry your name is Sam Tins Dale. And it's London, England

you're leaped outside the country again Sam. And you are a semi professional writer. Single no children. 25 years old.

"And why am I here Al? " Sam says impatiently.

Al says "let's see" Al taps on the hand link further and the red and yellow and green lights flash even more all over the device.

"ziggy says....after a few minutes tapping in a certain way on the hand link

Well Ziggy doesn't know yet but we are working on it Sam. I will run the scenarios Sam. "

Sam says "why is it ziggy always comes up with the useless information first why can't she just let me know why I am here it would save me a lot of time Al. Why can't ziggy have the right information just waiting for me. OK please can you go back and find out please why I am here so I can get the heck out of here. I don't want to miss anything but al there is something about this leap this time that feels almost familiar but I can't quite put my finger on it."

For a moment Sam feels a little dizzy and Sam puts his hand to his four head to stop him getting himself off balance.

Al says" be careful Sam you don't look to good. "

Al taps on the hand link and the imaging chamber door opens behind him and al steps inside the door and to Sams surprise the colour is a yellow colour of stead of the normal white Sam looks at it in wonder and Al says

"well Sam if wishes came true for everyone we all would be making wishes hang in there Sam"

and the door closes behind Al.

Sam looks around the house more the house had a simple kitchen and one flight of stairs. And as Sam was walking up the stairs Sam said to himself "It feels like I have been here before."

After a few hours I was still left in a empty spooky old house and still having no idea why I was there.

And on the landing Al appears again and Sam says

"well?"

"well what?" tapping into the hand link

"why am I here Al" Al looked puzzled at Sam and takes the cigar out of his mouth and says

"we haven't run the program that far yet OK it's October 30...."

Sam stops al in mid sentence saying "we have just been over this yes it's October 31 1965 my name is sam tins Dale it's London England and why am I here?"

Al looking deeply puzzled says "well clearly you don't need me? " and he shanks the hand link and it groans.

" you've just been here and told me all of this. "

Al looking worried" no I haven't we have just pinpointed you in time. "

Sam says" OK please can you find out why I am here and don't come back until you do. "

Al nods and the white imageing chamber door opens Al steps into the white and the door closes over al.

Sam walks back down the stairs and the front door bell rings.

But as Sam trys to reach for the door his vision goes funny and after a few minutes Sam falls on the floor. He shines with blue light and energy covers him but it fades away very quickly.

Sam vision goes spiral and spins around and around.

The medical equipment goes beep, beep, beep, beep

" Sam can you hear me?"

Sam vision starts to focus and his ears start ringing and then the situation hit Sam like a ton of bricks.

"Sam? Sam?"

"wake up bubby wake up hang in there Sam."

Sam slowly wakes up "yes where am I?"

"your in room h4 on C wing"

"c wing?"

Sam sits up in bed.

"did I leap? Am not sure."

He was laying in a hospital bed with cardiac electrodes attached to his chest and a pounding headache. He sees Al but Al is dressed like a doctor.

"Al? Al?"

The doctor picks up the phone and dials a number and as soon as the call connects he says "he's a wake I need help Sam's woken up." and he ends the call and puts the phone back on the receiver.

The doctor points a light pen into Sam eyes and says "what's the last thing you remember? And how are you feeling?"

"you already know al"

"tell me anyway?"

"I was in a old Victorian house. And I am feeling good. Have I leaped again Al? "

"leaped? What do you mean?

" I can't have leaped I hadn't fix anything in the time zone I was just in how could I possibly of leaped out before correcting the problem I was sent to solve. "

"time zone? You're not making much sense Sam"

"is it still 1965?"

"1965?"

"i have to get back to 1965 if I can"

"Sam what's your name? Do you remember your life before being brought to the hospital? "

"its Sam tins Dale I am a writer..."

"so your names not beckett? Sam beckett? Do you remember working together with me?" reading from his clipboard

"of course you all ready know that. Project quantum leap."

"project quantum leap what's that?"

"you know the project Al"

"why are you acting like you don't know your scaring me."

Sam quickly gets up and looks in the near by mirror and to his surprise Sam no stranger was looking back at him from the mirror and he was seeing his own face. Sam touch's his own face and says "how can this be? I've got crows feet."

The doctor looks at Sam and says

"how can this be?"

"al why am I here?"

Sam touchs Al arm and finds he is real

"how can you be here? Actually here?"

The doctor looks puzzled and says

"you are doctor Sam beckett and you are in St Alban's General hospital and for the past 5 years you have been in a comma Sam and today you have woken up."

"what's the year?"

"its October 31 1999"

"oh boy!"

"no, no"

Sam runs out of the room.