QL: A Fanfilm?

Kirok

Project QL Intern
I was wondering since the BLF project never got off the ground, has anyone thought about or know someone who has made a fan film of QL? The whole fan film scene has really taken off, and it’s quite a popular direction for classic shows. I produced a fan film last year called Star Trek Vs. Batman, and it was well received in the Internet and film festival community (we won the best fan film award at RadCon in Seattle back in February). Granted, it was a comedy, but it sparked a TON of interest in the classic 1966 Batman and Trek.

I’ve been thinking about doing a fan flick for QL, maybe to show the Sci-Fi Channel folks that this show is still got some juice in it. I don’t know, just an idea.

Thanks,
~Kirok

I'd love to see a QL fanfilm made. It'd be extra fun if it was made by several fans across the globe and edited together to make it congeal.... Then maybe have it finished by the time the convention rolls around...

But, yeah, I'd love to see some QL fanfilms. I mean, we've got music vids out there and fake movie trailers, but not very many fan-filmed things.

:Love To All:
~ Joy ~

I don't really know whether this counts, but I know of Quantum Barry and Quantum Geek, I found them on Youtube several months ago, they are both fairly short, but pretty cool nonetheless.

A QL fanfilm sounds like a brilliant idea though :)

Thanks, Danny! I appreciate your feedback.

The real trick is making the fanfilm fresh and universal (no pun intended) for new audiences and hopeful new fans. It all truly rests on the STORY, which should be compelling, thoughtful, and something everyone can identify with, no just QL fans.

I've been batting around a few stories, and think (hope) I've got a GREAT story that would successfully re-introduce QL and tell a compelling story. With my Star Trek Vs. Batman fan flick, I had to build massive sets and create some costumes from complete stratch!! But if I do this, then the sets and costume would be a non-issue.

Many many exciting things to ponder!

~Kirok

I seem to recall we were discussing a fanfilm a while back somewhere. There was a lot of interest then. Maybe you just posted on a slow week? I, for one, would love to participate in a QL fanfilm in some way.

I wonder how hard it would be to contact Dean or Scott in reference to this fanfilm? I know it’s a long shot, but boy… landing a cameo (its all I can afford) would be a great notch in the belt of credibility. When we made Star Trek Vs. Batman everyone wanted Adam West or Burt Ward to make a cameo, but I didn’t pursue it since it was mostly a comedy.

I guess I would have to go through Dean or Scott’s respective manager and arrange it? Ughh... I hate dealing with LA agents. LOL :D

I’ve got the treatment for the story finished, and now looking at which sets to build. The most expensive sets would be the interiors of the Quantum Leap complex, control room; waiting room, etc. Props such as Al’s handlink are fairly cheap to reproduce (I wasn’t going to comment on the other thread where some guy wanted to sell them for $200!! OUCH!!) Effects are fairly easy to reproduce in my Adobe & Apple studio bundle, so it looks good.

And thanks for all the positive words! Its great to see this franchise is still as strong as it ever was!! AWESOME!!

Let’s face it folks… Universal and the SciFi channel aren’t going to move on this. :banghead

Any ideas?

Thanks everyone!

~Kirok

Kirok said:
I wonder how hard it would be to contact Dean or Scott in reference to this fanfilm? ...
I guess I would have to go through Dean or Scott’s respective manager and arrange it? Ughh... I hate dealing with LA agents. LOL :D

Yes, you would need to contact their agents. You would also have to expect that, as long-time professionals, they might be very reluctant to get involved in an amateur project. I would try Dean first. He's less busy these days. He's also done a lot of independent film work.

Good luck on the project!

Wow... this isn't just going to be some project that a couple of fans put together in there spare time; this is going to be a major piece of work, isn't it? When and where are you planning to film this? I'd love to help somehow.

Hey Snish,

Yea, I figured as much. Contacting them both just might stay an idea at this point. A lot of fan flicks aren’t taken seriously, especially by the pros. I wouldn’t necessarily say that this effort is entirely a fan film though. What my idea is, is to release it on the ‘net, get some reviews, hit the Cons with it, THEN take the results of the (hopeful) success of it to SciFi or Universal (or whomever owns the rights to it), and say "Hey, look at the number of hits and awards we have won. QL is still a viable franchise." Hopefully at that point, they’ll see that its still a "high concept project + built in audience = profitability".

At least that’s my intentions at this point. Get the series re-launched somehow, that’s the bottom line.

Amateur? Well, against the west coast gang yes, but I’ve been making films for 15 years now, and would like to think I know a couple of things about making a decent story. Hopefully, that is! LOL. :)

Thanks for the well wishes!

LadyK,

Well, it would have to be filmed and produced in my spare time as I work and have a farm here in Indy. But that’s the way most indie filmmakers do it, weekends and days off. So far, it’s been a fairly decent balance. A major piece of work? You betcha. Any film I put my name to is major enough for me! Just check out what I’ve done before (most of my films are ‘time’ related), and it should give you a better idea as to my visual style and approach to making films.

It’s just in the planning stages now. Nothing is set just yet. I was planning my ’08 slate for projects, and QL is something I’ve wanted to do since 1994. When: Sometime in ’08… Where: Here in Indianapolis.

Thanks for the interest!! :D

~Kirok

It certainly wouldn't hurt to ask if they'd participate. The worst they could do is say no, right?

And please keep me in mind when you do start filming; I don't know anything about making fanfilms, but I'm eager to learn!