Time Travel--Already Possible!

F

felicity709

You know, I was thinking the other day that we really DO have the capability to time travel, we just maybe don't think of it that way since we've always got images of "time travel" as only being possible through time machines or leaping ;-)

The other day, I was in an antique store, and I found some old magazines from the 1950's. I pulled them out and looked at the articles on Marilyn Monroe, TV dinners, black and white movies, and troubled teenage runaways. I was so absorbed in the magazine that for a bit I forgot it wasn't modern news. Then I realized, this was actually CREATED in the 1950's and held by people in that era and the news in it was current at the time, and here I was, getting a little piece of that, still intact. When I looked elsewhere around the store, I found a record with JFK's speech "It's not what you can do..." on it while my dad looked at old WWII aircraft manuals. Just being in a place like that is like traveling in time, sometimes I don't think people appreciate that just because the past is in the past, it still lives on if we let it.

Anyway, I thought this topic could be for people to share their own stories of how they've "time traveled". Maybe you've been to a historical reenactment where you felt part of the action, or you ate lunch at a hoppin' 50's diner. Whatever the story, I think it'd be fun to share with everyone.

Can't wait till 2015 for those Blast From the Past stores to start carrying old 80's antiques...like Grey's Sports Almanac and the Dustbuster..:b

I know what you mean. This might sound a little morbid, but sometimes, if I'm in a cemetary, I look at the dates on the headstones to see when these people lived and died.
I have seen Headstones here in Connecticut that date all the way back to the early 1700's. There is one, however, that stands out in my mind. I was in a cemetary visiting the grave af some relitives, when I saw a Tombstone with the name William Henry Harrison on it. This Gentleman served in WWI, I knew that name sounded firmiliar to me and I thought I knew from where. But I wasn't sure, so i decided to do a little reasearch.
I was right about where I knew the name from, so I knew that it wasn't this man, but who knows, maybe they were related, but this is what I had found out.
The Ninth President of The United States name was William Henry Harrison. He was a war hero and was elected Govenor of the Indiana Territoriesin 1801. His prime task was to aquire the Indians lands for westward expancion. He became famous after a large group of Indians fought back and attacked his camp on the Tippecanoe River.
Harrison succeded in fighting off the attack and was known from then on as The Hero of Tippecanoe Later, he would use The slogan "Tippecanoe and Tyler Too" as his Presidental Campaign Slogan for him and his Vice-Presidental running mate John Tyler.
They won the election and Harrison gave a two hour long Inaugural Addrss in the pouring rain. On April 4, 1841, he died of pneumonia, 1 Month after he took Office. He bacame the first president to die while in office and his death esentially killed the Whig Party that got him elected. His death make John Tyler the 10th President of The United States.
I have always loved American History and that was my favorite time-traveling experience.
Tom
Al's Handlink

Time Travel and Imagination

Time travel is matter of imagination. Being a history buff, I time travel whenever I read a history text or see a historically accurate movie. Pictures too give are a great vehicle for travelling in time with your mind. For me, the most surreal moments in my life are when I visit historical sites while on vacation. I remember standing in Ford's Theatre in Wash DC, where Lincoln was shot (I'm a big Lincoln buff). Anyway, just standing in there, and recalling the details surrounding that infamous April night just made the place come alive to me as if I were there that night watching it all unfold before my eyes. Standing in the President's box, I could see and almost feel Booth standing there with his little pistol at the back of Lincoln's head the split moment before firing. This kind of imagination, fueled by historical knowledge, is almost as good as time travel for me. For anybody who isn't overwhelmed by historical places, pictures, etc, I feel sorry for you, its an amazing sensation and experience.

I know this is an old thread, but I'd like to add that the movie "Somewhere in Time" follows that EXACT theory of time-travel - that if you can trick your mind into believing you are in a certain time then you actually WILL be in that time.

I collect and restore old 23 channel CB radios. I began operating on CB when I was 15, in 1970. First it was just a "comfort zone" thing, but with my mother's passing last year they have become a sort of "conduit". It would be nice if I could talk to my parents again over my CB's, but unless "Frequency" becomes reality, it's only gonna be my memories.
I understand that we have a finite amount of time here, and nothing can change that. When we're finished here, we go home to rest. My father lived to 75, my mother to 80. Their bodies wore out, and they died. I hope to be as fortunate.
I love to visit historical sites as I travel around, and take photos.