Ziggy "Gummy Bear" Handlink

Al_Calavicci

Project QL Intern
Apr 19, 2009
Does anyone know anyone making/ selling a replica of the gummybear handlink?
I know this has been asked here years ago,but I am truly amazed you cant seem to find one for sale anywhere,including ebay. I guess it must be due to low interest since there are tons of Back to the Future props,and even Rick and Morty portal guns with lights and sound.
I have wanted one of these since the 1990's when the show was still in production.

I think I emailed myself a link a while back. Let me see if I can find it.

Thanks MO,I had seen that before but it seems he never has one available. $599 is somewhat high,but for the quality and features it has I would pay it.

Has anyone ever seen one of these completed in person?

NdjIjCW.jpg

d25YfBG.jpg

Replica Props has been working on this replica for many years now. Unlike other approaches which used resin or tried to use different materials, Rob has identified and purchased the exact same colors of clear plastic (Acrylic) used for the original prop. He has a computer-controlled laser cutter and has spent months analyzing footage and set photos to get the exact shape of each block down to the millimeter.

LED Cluster Blocks were used for most of the lights on the original Handlink units (there were several made for the show, with 2 "hero" versions appearing in the lion's share of the Season 3, 4, and 5 episodes). However these LEDs stopped being manufactured in the 1980's, which has been a huge sticking point in making an accurate replica. Another roadblock has been the lights and sound. There are exactly 89 LEDs on the front of the Handlink and 11 on the back which blink in a semi-random pattern at different speeds depending on which episode or even which scene you watch. They seem to increase inspeed based on how much jeopardy Sam was in.

The Handlink never created its own sounds, but of course these were added in post-production. For years, people have put forth the idea that the sound effects originate from the Hanna-Barbera Sound Library, however extensive listening to this has not been able to confirm this. To get accurate sounds, the only solution is digging through episode by episode.

Sooo I've been keeping fairly mum about this, but as Rob was seeking some input on the sound and lights, we struck up a friendship and I am happy to say I am producing the electronic design for him so that this will be the most accurate Handlink possible. It is a passion project for me, and I've never been this excited to be part of a project. Further, it has given me the bug to develop electronic projects of my own. And because I thought "what the hell", we put our mind to it and came up with a Wristlink. I designed and produced a circuit board for it. Rob is producing the watch frame, acrylic blocks, and assembly. I've merely provided the circuit board. Hopefully you can see the video here:

https://www.facebook.com/replicapropscom/videos/1790874604269059/

And unlike the original prop, which had a giant electronics box and wire snaking up the actor's arm, we've managed to miniaturize the electronics to fit within the slightly enlarged replica of the original prop:

https://www.facebook.com/replicapropscom/videos/1789851334371386/

I cannot give a release date, but we are working towards releasing the Handlink and Wristlink in the Near Future [tm].

Last edited:
For comparison, here a screenshot of the v10 version of the Handlink:

6pJjmyA.jpg

and a screenshot of the v11 version:

0ctgDnj.jpg

Last edited:
Feldon30,Thanks very much for this info. Can you PM me the contact info for the person making the handlink,I am serious about buying one when its completed. I have heard another member mention the sound effects came from the Hanna Barbera library and indeed if you watch the Jetsons you can hear sounds that are exactly the same as the one Ziggy makes,except for the squaking ones.
I have the original 60's Jetsons series on DVD and have watched it many times.

I truly admire the great attention to detail you and your friend have put into maintaining accuracy to the original prop down to the exact color and size of the blocks. this is definetly the handlink I want. When will it be ready? I want to buy the first one!

Last edited by a moderator:
Feldon,I forgot to ask,has a working prototype version been completed yet? I'd love to see the lights in action. When is the estimated completion date for the first ones?

I have heard another member mention the sound effects came from the Hanna Barbera library and indeed if you watch the Jetsons you can hear sounds that are exactly the same as the one Ziggy makes,except for the squaking ones.
I have the original 60's Jetsons series on DVD and have watched it many times.
Have you got an episode number from the Jetson's and an estimated time index where I can hear a sound effect identical to the ones made by Ziggy? After 5 hours of listening to the Hanna-Barbera library, I couldn't take it anymore.

Feldon,I forgot to ask,has a working prototype version been completed yet? I'd love to see the lights in action.
Here are two lighting mockup videos. The first one is at one of the fastest speeds. The second one shows the back lights and is running at a very slow speed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIbfjS52Ql0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZwcedvQD_g

Again these are lighting mockups only. The final lights will be shining through acrylic blocks just like the real prop.

When is the estimated completion date for the first ones?
Not before the end of the year. Rob has been working on this for nearly a decade and I don't want to put words in his mouth.

Thanks for the link! I will check it out right after replying. I am really excited about this handlink project and definetly will buy one. If you could PM me Robs info so I can contact him I would like to buy one as soon as its ready.

As far as the Ziggy sound effects,I will definetly do that for you tonight and post the time indexs and episodes they appear in here tomorrow or the following day. The specific sound effects were used in "The Jetsons" you'd here them used in various scenes with visaphones,computers,etc.

The (original 60's) Jetsons is my favorite Hanna Barbera cartoon. People tend to forget that "The Jetsons",like "The Flintstones" were prime time cartoons aimed at adults.the background designs are stunning as well as those of the the cars,buildings,furniture,appliances,etc. I especially liked the Uniblab robot and "Miss Solar System" episodes.
They released CD's in a box set that had the original Hoyt Curtin music used in the background,some of which used electric pianos an ondioline and even the Theremin for a spacey feel. I believe sound effects were also included on a disc. Unfortunately I don't have the set with the sound effects.It comes up for sale on ebay every once in a while but its quite expensive

40f55cf37f9cc1769e1aca6d383bc59e.jpg

jetson-uniblab-sm.jpeg

6d413d34de3a22116d5a7f1807b7dd3d--the-jetsons-space-age.jpg

fcda57766367b1db2dfa2bec65c7af27.jpg

x240-xHV.jpg

Last edited:
Just watched the video and cant wait to see the finished handlink! By the way,the second link doesn't work,a screen comes up saying the video is no longer available.

I'm Rob, so If you need to ask questions, i'm here.

Hi,First off,I want to compliment you again for the tremendous attention to detail,especially in regards to exact size and color. Feldon30 posted some photos and details here and it looks amazing so far. Was the handlink you used for the measurements the one in Deborah Pratts collection?

How close is the project to completion? where will the speaker be? will it be small enough so it doesn't draw attention,but loud enough to be heard outdoors during leaps,Lol?

Hi,First off,I want to compliment you again for the tremendous attention to detail,especially in regards to exact size and color. Feldon30 posted some photos and details here and it looks amazing so far. Was the handlink you used for the measurements the one in Deborah Pratts collection?

How close is the project to completion? where will the speaker be? will it be small enough so it doesn't draw attention,but loud enough to be heard outdoors during leaps,Lol?
I based my drawings on the Mark Dickson photos. They were the closest straight on shots I've seen, and knowing the j type battery size allowed very accurate drawings.
The speaker is currently the type used in tablets. It will be mounted along the bottom edge next to the usb charge port. There might be room for 2 speakers, still deciding on that. The sound will be channeled out the bottom edge, just like cell phone do. Should be fairly invisible.
I think the watt rating of the speaker is 1watt, but we have a 3 watt amp, so maybe 2 speakers can be used if the volume is too low. We are just starting the sound part now.
Currently, Morgan is finishing up the software for the leds, and touch switches. He has amassed a bunch of sounds, but we are plagued by artifacts from the show such as talking and other background noises. We both spent a entire day with headphones listening to the hanna barbara sound files. I think aspirin was dinner that night.

I based my drawings on the Mark Dickson photos. They were the closest straight on shots I've seen, and knowing the j type battery size allowed very accurate drawings.
The speaker is currently the type used in tablets. It will be mounted along the bottom edge next to the usb charge port. There might be room for 2 speakers, still deciding on that. The sound will be channeled out the bottom edge, just like cell phone do. Should be fairly invisible.
I think the watt rating of the speaker is 1watt, but we have a 3 watt amp, so maybe 2 speakers can be used if the volume is too low. We are just starting the sound part now.
Currently, Morgan is finishing up the software for the leds, and touch switches. He has amassed a bunch of sounds, but we are plagued by artifacts from the show such as talking and other background noises. We both spent a entire day with headphones listening to the hanna barbara sound files. I think aspirin was dinner that night.

HaHa! Yes,I can imagine a whole day of listening to cartoon sound effects could become tedious. I will rewatch my Jetsons DVD box set and post time indexes for different episodes where the bleeps and blips are heard.
As far as the background noises and other artifacts from the show,I think people would be understanding of that if that's the cleanest source available.
I will see if I can find a source for those sounds other than the dvds

The Hanna Barbera sound effects library appears to be posted on YouTube,unfortunetly it isn't indexed by show,so I can't just go to "The Jetsons" I am going to listen through them and then watch the dvds tonight

Mark Dickson's photos and sketches were a great start. The recent release of Quantum Leap in high definition on streaming and Bluray has certainly helped with higher fidelity photos with better color accuracy.

As for Deborah Pratt's handlink (v11), I took four photos of it at the Leap Back 2009 convention with the intention that one day I'd use them to make my own handlink. Although they didn't lead to any huge new revelations, the photos I took helped confirm some color choices.

main.php

main.php

will it be small enough so it doesn't draw attention,but loud enough to be heard outdoors during leaps,Lol?
So realistically, there are two places that props like a Handlink are used: #1 in someone's home. #2 On a convention show floor such as Comic Con. It has to be loud enough to be heard over the din of thousands of guests and presenters.

HaHa! Yes,I can imagine a whole day of listening to cartoon sound effects could become tedious. I will rewatch my Jetsons DVD box set and post time indexes for different episodes where the bleeps and blips are heard.
I appreciate that. Certainly I recall sound effects that sounded vaguely similar with computers and elevators and such bleeping and blooping, but to me they're just that -- similar. Unless we find an exact moment in a specific episode of the Jetsons with a Ziggy/Handlink sound, to me it's just a coincidence that the sound effects sound alike.

I've gone through dozens of Quantum Leap episodes and have so far isolated about 20 handlink sounds that are clean enough to use. I have a few more to go. It's amazing how footsteps, crickets, voices, and other background noises can ruin it for someone who just wants the sound effects. :)

Mark Dickson's photos and sketches were a great start. The recent release of Quantum Leap in high definition on streaming and Bluray has certainly helped with higher fidelity photos with better color accuracy.

As for Deborah Pratt's handlink (v11), I took four photos of it at the Leap Back 2009 convention with the intention that one day I'd use them to make my own handlink. Although they didn't lead to any huge new revelations, the photos I took helped confirm some color choices.

main.php

main.php

So realistically, there are two places that props like a Handlink are used: #1 in someone's home. #2 On a convention show floor such as Comic Con. It has to be loud enough to be heard over the din of thousands of guests and presenters.

I wish I would have known about the quantum leap convention as I live an hour away from Los Angeles. Do you have any close up photos of Al's "neon" star pin? Any plans to reproduce it? If I recall correctly it was a real item the prop dept used

I appreciate that. Certainly I recall sound effects that sounded vaguely similar with computers and elevators and such bleeping and blooping, but to me they're just that -- similar. Unless we find an exact moment in a specific episode of the Jetsons with a Ziggy/Handlink sound, to me it's just a coincidence that the sound effects sound alike.

I've gone through dozens of Quantum Leap episodes and have so far isolated about 20 handlink sounds that are clean enough to use. I have a few more to go. It's amazing how footsteps, crickets, voices, and other background noises can ruin it for someone who just wants the sound effects. :)

As I'm sure you noticed,Hanna Barbera had a vast library of sound effects. Having watched the original 60's Jetsons many times there are definetly sounds I noticed that sounded exactly the same as some of the Handlink sounds to me.

The entire original sixties series ripped from the DVD set can be watched for free on putlocker,you have to deal with the annoying re-directs and pop ups though.

The original Jetsons only ran from 1962-1963 and had only 24 episodes so it's not a challenge to watch them all. It's actually enjoyable,if you like cartoons from that era. I had always wished it ran longer. I'm not a fan of the later 80's version. It didn't same exact aesthetic and feel to it.

I can try and find a link and post it here if you want. I pulled out my box set but didn't have time to watch it last night. But will get to it today.

I wish I would have known about the quantum leap convention as I live an hour away from Los Angeles. Do you have any close up photos of Al's "neon" star pin? Any plans to reproduce it? If I recall correctly it was a real item the prop dept used
Sadly I don't have any photos of it specifically, only as part of the Handlink photos I took. Still, that should give enough of an idea to produce a prop. The question when making a prop is, what will the market be? There's an obvious market for the Handlink, and I think for people who balk at its $599 price, the Wristlink will make a great alternative at a lower cost, or make a great matched set. Would a star pin be successful? I need to see if electroluminescent wire would be bright enough.

I've even looked at Thames' handlink from the 3rd Evil Leaper episode. It's clearly a decorative paperweight that they glued colored faux gems to and added a ball of fiber optic light. But I still have an interest in producing it. I've heard that attendees of Comic Con and similar events sometimes play a character that is particularly esoteric just to see if anyone catches it. How many people would be able to identify this character (expertly played by Hinton Battle) who only appeared in one episode 20 years ago?

bHDGwce.png

osHfVru.png

I fixed the second YouTube video I posted so it no longer displays a "No longer available" message.

I fixed the second YouTube video I posted so it no longer displays a "No longer available" message.

Thanks! Just watched it.You're probably right about the Evil Leapers handlink,popularity wise. Personally I liked Zoey's handlink more than the one Thames had.
As far as recognition,I think serious fans of the show would recognize it,but probably not anyone else.

One of the things I really liked about Quantum Leap,which make it an unusual sci-fi show for its time,was the fact they DIDNT attempt to make the Ziggy computer console,the handlink and the other technology drab,nerdy and semi realistic looking in any way.instead they let their imagination run wild and created colorful,cool looking futuristic devices that didn't look like something that might exist in the near future or could be explainable in any way. I always felt that was remarkable. After the late 60's you didn't see that much anymore. everything had to somehow be "beli

To this day I still think the best robot ever made was Robby The Robot for the 1956 Forbidden planet movie. That Flying saucer and all the sets on that movie were incredible and look futuristic. Nothing looks futuristic now. Now all the shows are dark and drab looking and the spacecrafts are ugly and have to have rivets and seams and pipes and all sorts of junk to make them look "realistic" because apparently people cant suspend their disbelief and accept anything too wild,it has somehow be grounded in technology as we know it,to all look like something that might be possible. I love the design of Al's handlink,how it's very abstract and has colorful light up shapes for "buttons".

960_forbidden_planet_blu-ray_2.jpg

image4.jpg

3565939323_3461c801ee_b.jpg

Forbidden_Planet_Krell_lab_SMALL.jpg

Last edited:
Handlink sounds

Hi,I've been going through "The Jetsons" episode by episode and will post time indexs for all the sound effects. It's just taking some time

Last edited:

Why not ask Monsieur Dorleac if he has that pin? You might be able to get the original :drool

Why not ask Monsieur Dorleac if he has that pin? You might be able to get the original :drool

I thought Al's Starbright project badge was in Deborah Pratts personal collection. I remember seeing it posted here with her Handlink from the Quantum Leap convention.

Hi,I've been going through "The Jetsons" episode by episode and will post time indexs for all the sound effects. It's just taking some time

Looking forward to this! Even if you have one episode's worth, I will download that episode and compare.

The above photos are the culmination of 12 years of work off-and-on by Replica Props and represents, as close as possible, the version 11* Handlink as seen in nearly every episode of Quantum Leap during seasons 4 and 5.

The electronics have been a 2 year journey and I have just ordered what I hope will be the production Handlink v11 PCB which will provide accurate blinking lights with adjustable speed, remastered sound effects triggered by capacitive touch, and shock-triggered sounds as Al would express frustration with the Handlink. I hope everyone is satisfied with the design. Here is a video of the revision 2 board in a prototype case:

*Most episodes also showcased version 10 (introduced in the latter half of season 3) which has a different rivet arrangement, an additional yellow half block in the upper left corner, and slightly less sophisticated blinking of the upper middle green blocks.

Last edited:
I liked Zoey's handlink more than the one Thames had.
As far as recognition,I think serious fans of the show would recognize it,but probably not anyone else.

One thing I've noticed is that Zoé's handlink is actually a previously rejected design for Al's handlink, by Bellisario. I noticed this from screenshots of the "Sciography" documentary segment on the handlink where the concept art for all the rejected versions was shown.

Zoé's handlink appears to consist of only two colors of acrylic (orange/magenta and clear) with no LEDs or electronics whatsoever and minimal black decals for the "buttons." I would love to own a version of this. I would imagine it would be easier to produce than the Gummi and Calculator versions.

As for the post production sound effects for the episodes, they were few and far between. Almost not worth it to figure out a way to add any, IMO.

Last edited: