I finally figured it out...

RossBeckett

Project QL Intern
I figured out the reason why, at the end of Mirror Image, we see the picture of Al leaping. Some or most of you already know this, but it's because the original ending was to have Al leaping into Al's Place and then a futuristic version of Al's Place. Like the one in Joy's "Mirror Shattered".
~RossBeckett(Steve)
:leap

Hmmmm
You know they had set the next episode... (which we are not certain of...)

I guess that this can be what it is....

All this time this is what I thought:

The reason why we saw Al's picture leap was because time was altered. All the people in Al's life were affected and and each person that he touched because of his love toward Beth effected them. Hence, he leaped.

Yeah, I read the next original episode that they had out... but I really didn't see it so plausible. Go figure... a woman's perogative.

MJ

Well, yes. I used that original ending for "Mirror Shattered" 'cause I loved the idea of Al Leaping into a woman *so* much... I couldn't resist, mate. ;) Plus, if DPB truly did write that original ending, then how better to continue the show in a new fan fic story than to continue it using his original vision?

Plus, I'm horrible at writing beginnings, and it gave me enough fuel to get goin' on me own plotline.

Joy

Well, we have all seen the alternate ending by now (probably) with the new picture of Al's Family. I just thought that the picture of Al leaped into the picture of his whole family because as MJ said, the timeline was altered and it represented the change. But then you read the beginning of the proposed script for Season 6... as far as that goes, here is an exerpt showing the picture leaping circumstance:

this picks up where Sam tells Beth that Al is coming home...

130A CLOSE ON BETH

She catches her breath and tears flood her eyes as we move to....

131A SILVER FRAMED PHOTO OF YOUNG AL

sitting on the mantle. We hold for a beat and pull back past another photo. This one is of Al, Beth and four older children. our move takes us past other family photos of Beth and Al and their children. We continue until we reveal that we are in....

132A AL?S DEN

in his home at Project Quantum Leap. It is the year 2000 but this room is a classic den with leather and wood and a warm, comfortable look. Our move continues until we find....

133A THE OBSERVER AND BETH

So, the next episode was to not have the picture leap at all. I think they changed the filming of it for dramatic effect or time limitations, or something like that.

Interesting discussion here!

hey there, new to this place in time :)

I also read the first scene that's out there for the 6th season, and I never really bought it. I know that Al the bartender told Sam that the leaps are going to get harder, but from that to leaping him (and Al) into the future...I don't know. I guess I'm just like those old folks that don't want things to change for them :) I like the way the show was going in it's 5 seasons, and I guess that I'm just wondering how good they could have written it in the new direction.

kinspirit