Memphis Melody

• Total voters

alsplacebartender

Al's Place Bartender
Staff member
Memphis Melody
July 3, 1954

Memphis, Tennessee

Once again as a famous person, Sam leaps into Elvis Presley just two days before he gets discovered. While trying to help a woman pursue her singing career, Sam must make sure that he doesn't mess things up for Elvis!

Written by: Robin Jill Bernheim
Directed by: James Whitmore, Jr.

Rate and comment on this episode!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was reading about this episode on the "Al's Place" site. and I just wanted to make a comment about the trivia listed.

Miscellaneous Trivia:
(1) John Boyd West has the same last name as his character, Red West.

John Boyd West is Red West's son. Red West was a technical advisor on this eposde, directed by James Whitmore, Jr. Both Red West and James Whitmore, Jr starred in the television series Baa Baa Black Sheep. (1976-1978)

President Logan??

Ah yes... let's not forget 24's President Logan's stint on QL as Record Mogul Sam Phillips!!

265px-President_Charles_Logan.jpg

My BFF Kristen and I both feel that this was an unecessary celebrety episode. It was a very good story but we felt that having him leap into Elvis to achive the task was not necessary as he could have helped Sue Anne by leaping into her sister which would have been better in the sense that we all love Sam as a woman hehe. Involving Elvis was just unecessary although he was a very Sexy Elvis :dreaming The whole Elvis thing was basically for ratings most likely.

Last edited:
Sue Anne's sister could not have helped Sue Anne overcome her crippling stage fright. She may have been able to convince her not to marry the creep, but that's only half the story. It took Elvis' charisma, getting her to sing "Amazing Grace" in front of the small audience in the diner, and walking out on stage with her to sing "Will The Circle Be Unbroken" when she was frozen and failing, to convince her to try Nashville. And, like the older lady in The Play's the Thing, it wasn't about Sue Anne becoming a big star; it was about her going for her dream.

Yeah that may be true but in doing so he practically destroyed Elvis. Had he not been such a quick thinker in saving Sue Anne Elvis would not have exsisted that way he does now.

Well - in my opinion the best episode involving Sam's leaping into the life of a famous person,but i still found this episode no more then Average.
the main reason for that was the last 10 minutes of the episode i just didn't like and thought it was a cheap and unnecessary maneuver.

Sam Beckett Fan said:
My BFF Kristen and I both feel that this was an unecessary celebrety episode. It was a very good story but we felt that having him leap into Elvis to achive the task was not necessary as he could have helped Sue Anne by leaping into her sister which would have been better in the sense that we all love Sam as a woman.

I'm Totally Agreeing with you,but...Forget her Sister, i think it could be work just fine with someone else - maybe the man with the singing pig...:lol
just kidding.
Elvis' Friend could work ,just fine or maybe even the cook in the Dinner Sue ann worked at in my opinion.
It also could be someone else from the town.But not Elvis.

isz said:
Well - in my opinion the best episode involving Sam's leaping into the life of a famous person
Yeah I agree, I mostly just liked the beginning up until after he makes her sing Amazing Grace. I really loved how Sam felt for her when he saw her run from the stage sick to her stomach with stage fright. As well as his wonderful encouragement during the Amazing Grace scene And many of you know very well that I just love Sam showing his sweet side. Although in this ep I also loved Scott's scenes where he had to sing for that recording studio, he is one hell of a sexy Elvis. ROAR!

On another note I was also wowed when I saw how much Chelsy Bakula looks like her father. She's cute :)

I apologize for the double post but I am unable to edit my previous, apparently some new time window for editing a post was added in my long absence (and my previous post is like six years old). I must say however how it bugs the crap out of me that this is the second time they use Amazing Grace in the series, the first being Right Hand of God and neither time do they use the ending lines which fit Sam:

"Through many dangers toils and snares, I have already come.
Tis Grace hath brought me safe thus far, and Grace will lead me home."

Still not a fan of this episode over all, I only like the beginning where Sam feels badly seeing Sue Anne run off the stage sick and gets her to sing in the diner.

I always found it a fun and enjoyable episode. It's curious that Sam really did change the beginning of Elvis's career. Unlike the Lee Harvey Oswald and Marilyn Monroe episodes where Sam's actions created the real life history.

I suspect there are a couple reasons for this. While Elvis died much too young the episode has nothing to do with the end of his life. So the show did not feel like it had to respectful to real history be preserved. Ultimately the episode is tribute to the Legend of Elvis as much as his real life. Particularly his movies. Most of his movies had random musical numbers just like that scene at the Diner. Also he never played characters named Elvis but usually were fictional versions of himself. In fact at least two of his films are about unknown upcoming coming musicians being discovered. Though the details are not exactly like Elivs's real discovery. Most certainly they wanted Sam to play full Rock and Roll songs. Some of the real songs he auditioned with that Al mentions are not actual Rock at all.