Another Mirror Image Thread

Big Hurt

Project QL Intern
Dec 27, 2006
Chicago
www.myspace.com
I got Season 5 on DVD for Christmas and decided to watch "Mirror Image". I'm sure we all know how the show was suppose to continue if it was not cancelled.
I've seen the episodes plenty of times but finally saw hints as to what was suppose to be.
The whole thing with Stephan, don't know how to spell it in Russian, leaping was probably what Sam was going to be doing.
Wonder if they got to do a couple more seasons and got to do a real series finale, if we would of found out that Sam was also dead.
Who knows.

Aw, man, that'd suck if Sam's body died as he was leaping around...

..and got stuck...

or is that how it'd work?

I dunno...

interesting story, though.

I too never thought of it that way, I wonder if it could work that way??and yet I think of Sam talking to "God" or whatever. Sam was there told that he was doing the lepping. I don't think that Sam would be dead if he was able to go and fix Al's life. ( I hope I have that right)

Hummm... I shure wish somone would go back and fix my life...:D :\

Yes, this has been theorized since MI aired -- that Sam died in the accelerator chamber. I guess we have to try to get inside Bellisario's mind and think of what he would do.

guys if sam died and he was dead all this time,so when he returned back home and reunited with donna,he was a GHOST?:hmm and what about his body?when someone dies his body starts to rott lol.so ???
no he didnt die.he wasnt dead and he wasnt a ghost.Sam met al the bartender which al was GOD,or some angel.Maybe his guardian angel.We all have one right??he wasnt in 1955 but to another diamension .of time and space.Al brought him there to make him think and decide what to do next.continue with his leaps and help people?or go back home.All these people he was seeing at the bar they werent real.God made them. ecxept this stephan dude:) and as you noticed when sam was at that station trying to help these people who burried alive there,he wasnt actually there but he was thinking of it ,Becouse al made him think that .The only dead in that episode was stephan.maybe he was a leaper too all these years without all knowing it and he cotinued leapin and after he died.He became an angel.I dont think that the premish of the show was that sam had died or he was in a coma as someone said in some other thread.
They just showed in the last episode of ql that there was and another leaper.This has happened before and sam wasnt the first person who lept in to other other people.
So the main qs for me is .Where did sam go after he fixed his friends marriage.
but this has been answered many times here in these threads.But still only belisario knows what really happened.And maybe his DOG:lol :lol :lol

If you interpret MI as meaning that Sam has been dead all along, then it does get pretty weird. They made it clear that he's leaping in his own body, which doesn't make sense if he's dead (although that body somehow magically fits into other people's clothes, which had me scratching my head for a long time). But it's possible that he's just passed away at the beginning of MI, which would explain why Al and Gooshie lost contact and went into a panic. Earlier in the series, they never worried about it when there was no one in the Waiting Room, so Ziggy must have been able to track Sam or keep in contact with him somehow. Now she's lost contact for the first time. It still raises the question of what happened to his body, since it wasn't in the accelerator or WR, but a God who can leap Sam through time can probably figure out a way to take care of that.

But if the show had gone on to a 6th season, I'm betting they would have ignored this angle and proceeded as though Sam was alive. I doubt they would have presented Sam as the spirit of a dead man as the fans would find it too depressing. So it's all open to interpretation.

Snish said:
If you interpret MI as meaning that Sam has been dead all along, then it does get pretty weird. They made it clear that he's leaping in his own body, which doesn't make sense if he's dead (although that body somehow magically fits into other people's clothes, which had me scratching my head for a long time). But it's possible that he's just passed away at the beginning of MI, which would explain why Al and Gooshie lost contact and went into a panic. Earlier in the series, they never worried about it when there was no one in the Waiting Room, so Ziggy must have been able to track Sam or keep in contact with him somehow. Now she's lost contact for the first time. It still raises the question of what happened to his body, since it wasn't in the accelerator or WR, but a God who can leap Sam through time can probably figure out a way to take care of that.

But if the show had gone on to a 6th season, I'm betting they would have ignored this angle and proceeded as though Sam was alive. I doubt they would have presented Sam as the spirit of a dead man as the fans would find it too depressing. So it's all open to interpretation.

This is so interesting to read again when, to quote one of my other favorites movies, "Hook" "I'll be there Peter when you are in between a dream and waking."

I always like to hear these interpretations. Watching Beaches, with Bette Midler and Barbara Hershey, reading cardiovascular articles, being a pharmacy tech student, majjoring in English, devouring quantum physics articles, and watching the best ever, Shock Theatre everyday for a year...it makes one think...maybe just maybe QL was a comatose dream...I just wish I had more free time to write a preliminary outline of the story...I"m working 30 hours a week, going to school 30 hours a week, driving a total of 3 hours day, I have no time for me. I have to get ready to go to work guys. Bye. Happy New Year. Hugs to all.

What I meant with the death theory is that after he leaped out of Elvis, maybe his heart couldn't take anymore leaps and he died and started leaping around as a dead guy/ghost, like urban legends that they talk about in the episode. And like Shtopa (sp?)

But if you think of the episode in terms of what it orginally was, a turn in a new direction instead of an ending, it just seems a little too out there.

I don't mean to step on toes, but I don't think Bellisario wanted to have a dead leaper. Things would just get too weird.

If, for the sake of argument, Sam HAD died in between Memphis Melody and Mirror Image, does anyone think that the new direction the show was going to go in would be for Sam to continue leaping into people's lives, but as an OUTSIDER rather than taking over someone's body. He'd be more like a guardian angel... Anhelita from It's A Wonderful Leap is a perfect example... Sam would enter someone's life, put right what once went wrong, then leap out without anyone having any memory of him ever being there. Maybe THIS was the huge change Bellisario was planning...

Hummm.....

naggindragon said:
He'd be more like a guardian angel... Anhelita from It's A Wonderful Leap is a perfect example... Sam would enter someone's life, put right what once went wrong, then leap out without anyone having any memory of him ever being there. Maybe THIS was the huge change Bellisario was planning...

Guardian angel... Sam as an angel...I just don't think that Bellisario was going that way.

I also thought, when Sam leaped into people that they nor anyone else knew about it (besides Al and the team back home) Even Sam didn't remember after a while. So I guess no matter if Sam had died and became an angel he would still be doing the same thing. ( But... if we take the example from "It's A Wonderful Leap" then Sam wouldn't need Al anymore. Because he (Sam) would just know what he needed to do in each leap. But Al and Sam make the show and one without the other would not do. I don't think that Bellisario would seperate them. At least I would hope not.:\

Another Question

In doing the research on the DL...I thought of something.

If after Stawpah leapt, the people in the bar (except Sam and the Bartender) didn't remember him being there...what would they remember of Sam after he leapt? And since he was the key to getting Pete and Tonchi out of the mine (as the mine inspector)...how would the fact that they were saved be explained?

Just a thought. More of a retorical question since we'll never know. "Sometimes that's just the way it is is the best answer."

P.S.

"Earlier in the series, they never worried about it when there was no one in the Waiting Room."

BUT there was ALWAYS someone in the waiting room when Sam had leapt. When he entered someone's life, they were bounced to the future. Mirror Image was the ONLY leap where he leapt as himself and thus the ONLY time there wasn't someone in the waiting room.

Which brings me to the theory that Mirror Image was the FIRST unbalanced leap. That being the case, I think time reset after that leap and Sam entered a different universe...thus the reason he never returned.

See my story NEVER for a treatment of that idea.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2995691/1/

Last edited:
asearcher said:
"Earlier in the series, they never worried about it when there was no one in the Waiting Room."

BUT there was ALWAYS someone in the waiting room when Sam had leapt. When he entered someone's life, they were bounced to the future. Mirror Image was the ONLY leap where he leapt as himself and thus the ONLY time there wasn't someone in the waiting room.

Which brings me to the theory that Mirror Image was the FIRST unbalanced leap.

I meant that between leaps, there was no one in the WR. In the pilot, when Sam had leaped into the baseball player, Al told him that he had been gone for 6 days after he leaped out of the test pilot. So there was no one in the WR for 6 days, and apparently Al and Gooshie weren't worried about it--they were busy partying. So I think Ziggy must have some way of tracking Sam or at least confirming that he's still alive. I agree, the Mirror Image leap was different--either they had totally lost contact for the first time, or Ziggy knew that Sam had leaped in somewhere yet there was no one in the WR, or something like that.

Sam Can't have been dead because Al was able to find him meaning he had brain waves for Ziggy to track.

my best friend and I watched this ep on New Years Eve and talked about about a lot of different stuff in mirror image as its such a confusig episode. I told her about this thread and it creeps me out and is sad to think of Sam dead. So I came up with this explination over dinner that night and told her I would come on here and post it hehe.

So yeah thats proof right there that Sam is alive. besides if he was dead than why leave it open for a new QL :p

they were busy partying
I recently did a fanfic of the Genesis pilot from Al's point of view (which is a companion to the story I did on Sam reasoning to leap when he did.) I think that the way that Al was presenting the information to Sam at that point (the partying, the X-rated pictures, Brenda) is REALLY suspect based on what we later learned about the characters during the 5 years of the show. That whole piece is just really OOC to where they took the show. It just doesn't make sense that they would be partying. It is much more realistic that once they lost Sam in the in-between when he leapt out of Tom Stratton...they may have been wondering if he would ever "land" again and those six days were not as happy-go-lucky as Al tells Sam.

For my treatment of the beginning

See Sam reasoning up to his first leap

No Choice: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3247065/1/

And Al's POV during Genesis:

Aftermath: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3320059/1/

When Sam leaps and there's a moment when there isn't a leapee in the waiting room... wouldn't Sam's aura still be there???

What must have happened in MI is that for the first time Sam's AURA was NOT there... thus causing Al and Gooshie to panic...

naggindragon said:
When Sam leaps and there's a moment when there isn't a leapee in the waiting room... wouldn't Sam's aura still be there???

What must have happened in MI is that for the first time Sam's AURA was NOT there... thus causing Al and Gooshie to panic...

Hey, I thought the same thing. We know that Sam is leaping around without his aura, because he gets the other person's aura, and the WR visitor gets his. So, between leaps, if Sam's aura were still present in the WR in some form, it would be a way for the PQL staff to know that Sam is still OK. But in MI, there's no visitor and no aura. Works for me.

Sam Beckett Fan said:
Sam Can't have been dead because Al was able to find him meaning he had brain waves for Ziggy to track.

my best friend and I watched this ep on New Years Eve and talked about about a lot of different stuff in mirror image as its such a confusig episode. I told her about this thread and it creeps me out and is sad to think of Sam dead. So I came up with this explination over dinner that night and told her I would come on here and post it hehe.

So yeah thats proof right there that Sam is alive. besides if he was dead than why leave it open for a new QL :p
Good explanation, Sam Beckett Fan. I remember (from general knowledge and the Evil Leaper3) that when somebody dies, they have no brainwaves, as if they had brainwaves, they would still be living. This is proved in 'Evil Leaper3'. When Sam shoots Zoe, Thames vanishes, as there are no brainwaves that he is tuned into.