Al's Place Social Networking is here

alsplacebartender

Al's Place Bartender
Staff member
We have recently upgraded to a newer version of vbulletin, which came with a built-in social networking system (sort of like Myspace).

Go to "My Settings" at the top left and look on the left side of the page for Networking.

http://www.quantumleap-alsplace.com/forum/usercp.php

Several different options - you can add friends, even groups!

Let me know how this works out as you build your own contacts list and friends. :)

Thanks to Morgan for yet another very smooth upgrade! He can probably add to this in more detail in the future to further enlighten us all of the "secrets" of vbulletin. :)

I'm going to be the dunce that asks this, since I'm not very good with computers. What does it mean to be in a "group"? By that, I mean that in the new option base I just looked over, I don't understand the function of a group, or what it means to be in one. Thank you.

I'm going to be the dunce that asks this, since I'm not very good with computers. What does it mean to be in a "group"? By that, I mean that in the new option base I just looked over, I don't understand the function of a group, or what it means to be in one. Thank you.

Let's say you like coffee mugs. You create a "coffee mugs for leapers" group. Then others can join your group. :)

You've got basically full MySpace functionality, you've got your own Profile page you can add to, you can create Groups as mentioned and invite people to them.

Nice ! Now i just have to start adding people :)
can you enable adding them directly to friends by clicking on their name tag ?

There's an option "Add Jessian to your Contacts". I didn't find that very descriptive, so I renamed the feature to "Add Jessian to your Contacts/Friends". :)

Contacts is just a list of members you want to keep track of. I cannot see your Contacts list. This was called Buddies before the upgrade.

Friends is more than that. I can view your Friends list. You can create groups for your friends and other things. Check it out. :) Remember to check the reciprocal box if you want to be added to their Friends list as well.

Oops! That was silly of me not to specify. :(

I meant the groups on Alsplace. From the social networking here, where one can also make friends. I was wondering if anybody created a group yet.

I don't like Yahoo Groups, Google Groups, etc. because it's an e-mail list or it's e-mail list based. You can't sort it, you can't follow a discussion. The same topics come up over and over and it's like starting from scratch. After a couple of years I got sick of it. Also it's intangible. If they are offline, you can't read it. Whereas a forum, I can download a copy of the whole forum and put it up someplace else.

I don't like Yahoo Groups, Google Groups, etc. because it's an e-mail list or it's e-mail list based. You can't sort it, you can't follow a discussion. The same topics come up over and over and it's like starting from scratch. After a couple of years I got sick of it. Also it's intangible. If they are offline, you can't read it. Whereas a forum, I can download a copy of the whole forum and put it up someplace else.

I did'nt know you could do that!

You learn something new every day.....

:)

Well, with myself, music and contacts for the movie industry (which I wish to hopefully work in). That is anything for me!

:)

What I meant was that there are alot of crooks out there whom can get stuff off you computer that you don't want them to!

So people who know not much about the net have to be taught how to watch it when they surf the net.

Yes, you did make sense. I was just joking; I wasn't actually accusing you of doing illicit activities on the internet. You appear to be a very nice person. :)

Anyways, I can get almost anything, on eBay that is. I'm looking for a particular type of items right now on it, but I'm not having much luck.

Ha Ha. You guys are funny. Dont worry i only stick to what i know. My brother sorts out all the security stuff and if i dont know how to do something i check with him first. ( he is a top computer geek).