QL Fanfilm Underway!

Good question. I put that Q&A in the FAQs to cover myself, and to make it clear that no profit is made in any way whatsoever. Studios actually employ "surfers" who lurk sites from time to time in places (STVB was visited a few times by Paramount, FOX & Warner Bros.) So that's why the FAQ was posted.

But yes, I will gladly make the DVD available for us fans at cost. I did that for STVB as well, so worries! I agree that watching material on a computer is far more different than a TV!

~Kirok :D

I heard Paramount are rights gits! :p to them. (on snooping around sites)

When I first heard of this I thought...oh heck (I'm british)...but later I thought...well lets wait and see :)

I'm not sure about the sensitivty there was a film made about Princess Di's death last year (The Queen) and it was liked and got an award. Plus it's been ten years this year. It was a major wrong and sounds to be a great story. Good luck! :)

Why do all the cool things happen in the states? :(

I know what would be cool! Watching it at QL con in 2009! :) That would be awesome, but I don't think I could wait that long to see it but it wouldd be a great con treat to hve it on a big screen. :) ----ooops!!! Just read the FAQ!!! Great minds think alike! :)

Just a thought!

Anyhow can't wait to see it!

Janna xxx

Last edited:
Thanks for the well wishes, Janna. I'm just about done with the first draft of the script, and have been SWAMPED by fans requests for a lot of different things. Its great to know this is quickly becomming an anticipated event at Leapback!!

Man, I didn't think it would take off this quickly... everyone who has heard about it e-mails me saying how much they loved the show... Let's hope this can bring out the armies of fans!!
*I found my Sam!! :) And his name is... *ahem* Scott!! :hair

Hey Folks,

Sorry I've been away... I've been busy writing the script, and preparing to finish up our shoot here in a couple of weeks... (different film). I'm really happy with how its all coming together, and I think I have a good feel for the characters in this...

Hopefully, I'll have this finished (first draft) here shortly, and then begins the planning (pre-production) stages. I know we'll be building a control room set!! :D I can't wait for that!!

Thanks for all the links and visitors to our website!

Kindly yours,
CHRIS

I'm glad to hear it's advancing so quickly! I'm a little wary about seeing a new Sam, though; it's hard to imagine anyone besides Scott Bakula in the role.

When you start filming, are you going to be needing any extras? I'd love to have the chance to just appear in the background, just to be in the movie. (And if I could get some photos of myself in the PQL control room, that would just make this fangirl's year!) :)

Bad News...

:banghead

So today I sit down with my coffee, ready to continue writing the second half of the script to QL: ALTDF, and I open my file... and open... and wait...

Waiting...

Yea, you know where this is going. :realmad

"FILE CORRUPTED"

So my Sunday was pretty much ruined and I was almost in tears...

BUT...

Good thing I wrote it all out in long hand... *whew* But now I have to start all over again... all I kept hoping for was finishing the first draft and having it ready to tear apart by the time I finish my other feature on August 13th...

So hang tight, folks... I'll gladly share it with anyone who wants to read it, once I get it into the "digital" world. I'd love to see what other Leapers think...

I'm with you LadyKayoss... I know seeing a new Sam will be difficult. But its a bullet I gotta take because I don't think I could talk (or even pay) Mr. B. into doing it. Its not like Star Trek where we've seen hundreds of guys do Kirk... this is much much different. All I can say is that I'll keep the spirit and energy of Scott and Dean in my mind as we shoot this... that much I can promise you.

Back to writing... or re-writing in my case.

Take care,
CHRIS

Kirok said:

So today I sit down with my coffee, ready to continue writing the second half of the script to QL: ALTDF, and I open my file... and open... and wait...

Waiting...

"FILE CORRUPTED"

BUT...

Good thing I wrote it all out in long hand... *whew* But now I have to start all over again... all I kept hoping for was finishing the first draft and having it ready to tear apart by the time I finish my other feature on August 13th...

Take care,
CHRIS

Ah the hard won lesson - back-up, back-up, back-up and then back-up your back-up!

Been there, done that.
Now all my writing is saved in at least three distinct places, preferrably stored seperately as well.

One small ray of hope for you...
I don't know which version of "Word" you are using (I'm a Mac user myself but I'm sort of assuming you are a PC user, though Word is similar in both) but try right mouse click on the document icon and go to properties. One of the tabs should offer you 'previous version', which should take you back to the last but one save. See which dates it offers you. Take it back to the newest one you know was ok. It will have lost some of the work, but better than starting from scratch!

Good luck!

Kirok said:

Waiting...

"FILE CORRUPTED"

BUT...

So hang tight, folks... I'll gladly share it with anyone who wants to read it, once I get it into the "digital" world. I'd love to see what other Leapers think...

Ugh, I hate when that happens - especially when the document in question is a term paper or a particularly long chapter of a story. I've been able to recover documents, but often lose some of my best stuff. My worst incident involved a chapter I spent months working on to finish. I had ten pages complete (I had no free time, so ten pages was quite an impressive feat) and then the file got corrupted and I was only able to save the first three pages. None of it my most inspired work. *sigh* There needs to be a support group for us.

And yes, I, too, learned to back up my stuff multiple times.

Kirok said:
I'm with you LadyKayoss... I know seeing a new Sam will be difficult. But its a bullet I gotta take because I don't think I could talk (or even pay) Mr. B. into doing it. Its not like Star Trek where we've seen hundreds of guys do Kirk... this is much much different. All I can say is that I'll keep the spirit and energy of Scott and Dean in my mind as we shoot this... that much I can promise you.

Take care,
CHRIS

Oh, I know... And I think if there had been other QL fan films where we could adjust to the idea of a different Sam and Al, it wouldn't be such a difficult concept. But I'm definitely willing to give it a try, as long as the spirit of the show is there. I've seen fan films so good that I've forgotten that the actors aren't the ones I'm accustomed to.

(And believe me, no one blames you for not bankrupting yourself to hire Scott and Dean!)

Chris, I just wanted to say that I have had that happen as well. Like you, I had everything written out, so it only took about seven hours to retype it all. Mine was a case of a floppy disk getting eaten by the disk drive. I print everything as a backup now.

Please continue to keep us posted on the happenings of your film! :)

UGHH!! :banghead

Last night, I typed out a nice lengthy reply to all of you who felt my "FILE CORRUPTED" pain, and BAM… I submit it, and I timed out. Man… some days I just can’t win.

Calgon take me AWAY!!!

I forgot what I wrote, but it basically said, "thanks for sharing your war stories". So I lost my ‘thunder’ from last night, as I was too tired to try and repeat my post. The fantastic ability I always get when I write beyond an hour is momentum, and that sparks my creativity… and that’s what I had happening on several occasions before it crashed.

LadyKayoss, I’m with you on the re-casting concept. It’ll be a difficult task, but I feel I have a fairly decent "lock" on what I am looking for Sam and Al… I have one strong candidate for ‘Sam’, but want to see what else is out there before I offer it to him. I might hit the talent pool in Chicago just as a preliminary inquiry… I’ve had lots of luck in Chicago in my past films.

Depending on how far you’re from Indianapolis LadyKayoss, you would be more than welcome to attend our auditions. Or anyone for that matter. Lord knows I could use another voice in the casting process. Just throwin’ it out there.

Between now and the 19th, I’ll be getting more and more busy on my last time travel feature we’re wrapping up between the 13th & 17th. I originally had hoped to have my QL script ready before we finished pick ups, but nope. Oh well… worse things can happen.

Thanks for all the interest everybody. You all are so nice. I LOVE it here!!

Adios,
CHRIS :D

Kirok said:

LadyKayoss, I’m with you on the re-casting concept. It’ll be a difficult task, but I feel I have a fairly decent "lock" on what I am looking for Sam and Al… I have one strong candidate for ‘Sam’, but want to see what else is out there before I offer it to him. I might hit the talent pool in Chicago just as a preliminary inquiry… I’ve had lots of luck in Chicago in my past films.

Depending on how far you’re from Indianapolis LadyKayoss, you would be more than welcome to attend our auditions. Or anyone for that matter. Lord knows I could use another voice in the casting process. Just throwin’ it out there.

Adios,

Having no experience with fan movies (or films of any kind) I doubt I could do more than just walk around in the background and pretend like I don't see the camera. :lol But I'd love to participate in some way and, heck, I'm free slave labor. As for how far I am... well, it looks like I just managed to find the silver lining to being stuck in Michigan for another year.

Kirok said:
UGHH!! :banghead

Last night, I typed out a nice lengthy reply to all of you who felt my "FILE CORRUPTED" pain, and BAM… I submit it, and I timed out. Man… some days I just can’t win.
Calgon take me AWAY!!!

I forgot what I wrote, but it basically said, "thanks for sharing your war stories". So I lost my ‘thunder’ from last night, as I was too tired to try and repeat my post. The fantastic ability I always get when I write beyond an hour is momentum, and that sparks my creativity… and that’s what I had happening on several occasions before it crashed.

Between now and the 19th, I’ll be getting more and more busy on my last time travel feature we’re wrapping up between the 13th & 17th. I originally had hoped to have my QL script ready before we finished pick ups, but nope. Oh well… worse things can happen.

Adios,

If you want to fly me over Chris, I'd be interested in doing a cameo ;)

This is certainly something I can look forward to. Will you provide the fanfilm on the internet? I'm always bogged down with work, be it at the office or at home.

Very nice work with the trailer, by the way.

I write long replies in Notepad and then copy-paste them to forums. That way if something goes wrong, I still have a copy. As for hte script, hope you have stocked up on thumb drives. 1GB for $20. ;)

Really excited to hear about this project and hoping for the best.

Hey Folks,

Sorry for the long absence. I just finished shooting our feature last week (also a time travel story, and am decompressing this week. Now I can get back to writing the QL project, which I am anxious to get back to.

We had a great shoot, and were able to learn a lot from our Director of Photography, which are valuable lessons we can apply to the QL project. Check out some of the examples from our shoot! They were awesome!

Stay tuned!

Chris :D

WOW. Just watched the trailer, and man, that was amazing. The lighting, the atmosphere, the camera angles... So wonderfully professional.

I didn't think I could be any more excited about the QL project, but seeing this really makes me eager for the QL film!

Joy

Wow, thanks for the compliments! I really appreciated seeing those... as I tell everyone here in Indy, no matter what happens with my work, at the end of the day, I'm still shoveling horse doo-doo. HAHA :lol

But seriously, thanks... I know a lot of valuable lessons were learned on this shoot, and will certainly be applied to the QL project. I can't wait to start shooting it too. A lot of our actors on this shoot approached me wanting to be cast in the QL project. I really think that if all the QL fans really stood up in the world, we'd have an incredible army of fans. That's nice to know... but I truly think that once this is released, the fans will come out of the wood work and DEMAND that a new series (or film) be started up again. That's all I want (or hope) for the franchise...

Thanks again, everyone! You all are so nice!

It never ceases to amaze me just how many QL fans there really are. I tend to think of it as a 'forgotten' show where only the most loyal fans still care, since it is almost 20 years old, but there are many, many fans out there. I only recently discovered two fans on my Dad's side of the family!

I hope your fanfilm helps stir fans into action.

Yeah, I think it really will. On this last shoot, I had a handful of people confess to me that they loved the show, and wanted to be involved. It was pretty cool!! :D

Seeing all of this Princess Di coverage this weekend is really bittersweet... it sort of reaffirms this storyline in a way.

Happy Labor Day everyone!!

CHRIS

First Draft Done!

Yeah!! Just finished the first draft, and now it's time to rip it apart and re-write! Well, maybe not literally, but its certainly a good starting point. I'm really happy to have included many of the enduring aspects to the TV show... humor, drama, and (some) action.

There is progress...

I'm still here!

Hi Folks!

I'm so sorry I've been away for so long. We recently wrapped production on my last feature, and haven't stopped since then. I haven't forgotten about you all, I swear!

Our production is still moving ahead as planned, and I am VERY happy to report that QL: A Leap to Di For will be shot exclusively in High Definition! (HD) That is HUGE news for us as we are anticipating production starting in spring of '08!

Re-writes will continue (thanks to all of you who read the first draft) as auditions will probably be held during the winter.

Again, my apologies for being away for so long. We’re still here!

Thanks!

Hi Folks!

Just wanted to pass along the good news that Quantum Leap: A Leap To Di For is now officially underway. Today marks Day 1 as the doors have been opened for the casting process... wish us luck that we find a decent Sam & Al!!

For more information, and how anyone can be a part of this fantastic production, please visit the QL section of our website!

Thanks for your consideration!

Chris Allen

Hi Brian!

Oh absolutely! I was thinking about all of that today in fact. I was thinking of having my wife run a camera as audience members come out of the show and asking them what they thought of the film...

We did a lot of Cons with Star Trek vs. Batman with Q&A panels, so I would love the chance. In fact, there will be a few actors in this that want to come out and be a part of the QL experience!