QL Fanfilm Underway!

Are you still going to let fans participate with the filming? I'm not too far from Indianapolis, and I should be getting a car of my own soon. *crosses fingers* I'd love to be able to come down while you're filming, and be in the background or something. At the very least, I could be free slave labor. :)

Oh, absolutely! I'm looking at mid to late August to start shooting (have to finish up current film first), and finalize the cast. Right now, I'm not having much luck with actors, but I'm sure our open casting call will bring some folks out.

Slave labor is what indie films are ALL about! J/K!! We'd love to have you!

Thanks a million!!

Chris :)

Well, wish me luck folks! We're staging open auditions for Saturday, March 29th here in Indy! I'll post our results and actors who fit the bill. I've got a strong lead on a Dean-type actor, and about three 'Scotts'.

Now building the handlink... THAT'S a problem! Ughh!

Thanks for your support,

Chris :D

Kirok said:
Well, wish me luck folks! We're staging open auditions for Saturday, March 29th here in Indy! I'll post our results and actors who fit the bill. I've got a strong lead on a Dean-type actor, and about three 'Scotts'.

Now building the handlink... THAT'S a problem! Ughh!

Thanks for your support,

If you are still having issues with the handlink. If you get a hold of Neuromason he has offered to make handlinks for the convention. might be worth checking into. He recently posted under the topic The return of Quantum leap.

Jaycol said:
If you are still having issues with the handlink. If you get a hold of Neuromason he has offered to make handlinks for the convention. might be worth checking into. He recently posted under the topic The return of Quantum leap.

Thanks Jaycol! I didn't even know that. Awesome!

Chris

Have you already got someone lined up to do the special effects? If not, please keep me in mind.

Oh yes we do. I'll be doing them with a combination of practical and CG FX. Were you referring to CG FX?

One area I know we'll need help in is the sound effects. Recreating the sounds of the handlink, imaging chamber door, and the actual "leap" is what I'm most concerned about on the post end. I could lift the sounds from the show, but most of them have music or dialogue alongside them, and it would sound a lot better with a clean effect than from the show.

I also think I've figured out how to recreate the handlink is creating it from a resin mold. But I'll definately check with the guy Jaycol recommended first.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Chris

No I meant like if they can take a photo of the convention attendee and then use the actual CG leap effect (combined with the sound effect) to leap the attendee's photo into another (maybe of Sam?), say as an mpeg file or .wmv even and then they could sell the video clip to the attendee for a small fee. Don't know if this can be done quickly, but thought I'd ask if there is any talent out there for that sort of thing!

Brian, I have thought of that. I know there is digital animation paint software now that you can draw some starting points and it will fill in the lightning for you, but I haven't tried it. I can cut a person out of a background and do the glow effect pretty fast, but the lightning and the filling in with white is tough!

Figuring out how to do the whole thing in under 10 minutes per person will be a challenge. Even so that's 83 hours working nonstop for 500 attendees.

Kirok,

It is possible to get most of the handlink sounds "clean", just have to know which episodes to record from. Alas, my collection of clean handlink sounds was many hard drives ago.

I recently produced a clean recording of the leap sound. It's a mixture of the leap from It's a Wonderful Leap and The Leap Back, as the outtro of Wonderful Leap and the intro of Leap Back were the quietest. I also emphasized the phaser fire shot part of the leap sound (once you know where it is, you can't miss it).

I've posted my 16-bit WAV of the "clean" leap effect here.

I have captured the "leap to black" on Mirror Image from the 5th season DVD and then spent a couple of hours on speck, dust, and hair removal, and then color correcting it. So I have a clean "plate" of the leap spiderweb effect. To use it over a person (instead of black), it probably needs two passes (one with just the white selected set to 100% opacity, one with just the blue glow set to overlay) to do the effect justice. The uncompressed images are rather large (65MB) but I can post them if you need them.

I am curious what digital paint programs people are using these days for animation. Early on, I played with Illuminiere and it was great, but very buggy and crashed a lot. I've only ever done QL effects (I've done the hologram effect, the imaging chamber door, and several leap effects) frame-by-frame in Adobe Photoshop. I only have the result of these effects on VHS now. :(

When I did my hologram effect (walking through a table), because I have not had any training as an actor, and because even the best actors have difficulty with blue screen, I found that taking a still photo of the set with all furniture in place, and then removing the furniture that Al will be walking through (adding blue tape lines if necessary to outline where the furniture was) and filming the live shot with Sam and Al together like that and then using Photoshop to re-add parts of the furniture as needed was easier in the long run.

We are not limited to a Quantel Paintbox and the time (and budget) crunch of a weekly televised show. :)

Now, to go off on a tangent, I have really thought that to really match the quality of effects being used these days on TV, I think leap effects should be done in 3D motion. I know this is a LOT more work. I have visualized many times the camera coming around the person as they are leaping in, and the spider web effect has to change in perspective to match the camera movements. The only way to really do this would be a starburst particle effect in 3D Studio Max that tracks the camera movements.

But considering the extra effort involved, I would certainly not look down on someone for doing the 'classic' QL effect that worked just fine for all those the original episodes. :)

Last edited:
That sounds like a VERY cool concept!! Leaping guests!! WAY cool!

Now as to how to do it…

It’s quite easy, really.

I use Adobe After Effects for all of my FX work (see attached example), and the leap effect is quiet easy in terms of time and effort. I can’t say I can devote all of my time at Leapback for it, but with minimal training, I could show someone to run it. It also crosses with Photoshop easily too as all Adobe products can, which is one reason why I LOVE Adobe!

This is one time travel effect I rendered the other day for my current feature, so the lightening, bluish glow and leap bursts are no problem whatsoever.

I did a preliminary test of it on the QL: A Leap to Di for trailer here.

Feldon: That is a GREAT .wav of the leap!! WOW!!! Uhmmm… may I please borrow that for this show... with grateful thanks to in the credits?

Now as for the hologram effects, I plan on doing that with green screen as they did on the series. You can sometimes tell those shots by the lighting on Al (or when they green screened Al).

As much as I’d love to explore the 3-D elements of a leap, I’ve decided to keep true to the series (as I did with my Star Trek vs. Batman series) with 2D composting. It’s what folks know, and to tweak that (just in my opinion) wouldn’t work. But I like the idea!

Now if I can figure out how to create some clean handlink sound effects!! Ughh!!

Thank you, Mr. Questionmark! Can we hear what yours sounds like?

Chris
:D

I'm pretty sure that's an mp3 of what I just posted. ;)

I provided the WAV file so that Chris could use it without any loss of quality in his productions. No credit necessary! The rights are ultimately Universal's, I just did some cleanup and compositing.

Handlink sounds require sitting down with DVDs of seasons 2-5 and fast forwarding through to the parts where Al is on-screen and interacting with the handlink and hoping these are quieter passages with regards to background noise and music. A time consuming job indeed.

My standards are probably too high as far as what a leap effect looks like. I want it to look indistinguishable from the original. It's been a long time since I did one with the intent of fooling the viewer, but maybe next week I can put something together. Time to pull out the video camera and invent a couple of interesting scenes.

feldon30 said:
I'm pretty sure that's an mp3 of what I just posted. ;)

I provided the WAV file so that Chris could use it without any loss of quality in his productions. No credit necessary! The rights are ultimately Universal's, I just did some cleanup and compositing.

Handlink sounds require sitting down with DVDs of seasons 2-5 and fast forwarding through to the parts where Al is on-screen and interacting with the handlink and hoping these are quieter passages with regards to background noise and music. A time consuming job indeed.

My standards are probably too high as far as what a leap effect looks like. I want it to look indistinguishable from the original. It's been a long time since I did one with the intent of fooling the viewer, but maybe next week I can put something together. Time to pull out the video camera and invent a couple of interesting scenes.
Even so, thank you to you for allowing me to have this. i was not sure who was the original poster of the effect, and am more than grateful for it :D

In the next year or so (especially during and after Summer), I will be working on finding clean handlink sounds. I just don't know how to get them from the DVD to the computer.

Al,

The easiest way would require an investment of maybe $10 tops. Here’s how you do it.

On your PC (I assume you’re a PC user), open your ‘Sound Recorder’ by hitting Start/All Programs/Accessories/Entertainment/Sound Recorder. (That’s the XP Professional path.) This is the program that is the easiest one to use, but of course any pro mixing program can be used.

Now with your DVD player, there are three outputs that usually go to your TV… the red, yellow, and white RCA cables. Take the cords that usually go to your TV, and unplug the red and white ones. These are your Left and Right audio channels.

Next, go to Radio Shack and purchase a RCA Audio Y Adapter, shown and linked here.
pRS1C-2266317w345.jpg

This adapter lets you plug the male 1/8” stereo plug into your computer. Your computer’s sound card should have the standard 1/8” inputs. Once you plug the DVD cords into the adapter, plug it in. Make sure you plug into the "input" source on your computer.

Now, play your DVD and see if the sound comes from your computer. Remember, you’ve already left the yellow DVD line plugged into your TV for viewing purposes. Now the sound just comes out of your computer.

Open your sound properties toolbox by clicking the little speaker icon in the bottom right task tray, usually by the clock. Double click that, and inspect the “Line In” setting. This controls the amount of volume getting pumped into your system. If the sound is too loud, and distorted, this “Line In” setting can adjust the amplitude of the volume.

Now in sound recorder, just hit the red record button whenever you’re ready to record, and you’re set. *Depending on the proximity of your TV/DVD to your computer, you may have to buy an extension to reach your computer. In that case, you will need a male/male 1/8" stereo extension wire, which come in a variety of lengths. You will also need a female/female 1/8" stereo adapter too. Always make sure you are buying STEREO components. You can tell what is a stereo plug is by the number of black rings around the male adapter end... two black rings is stereo, and one black ring is for mono. (See above picture for reference.) You want two for stereo.

This method can also work in similiar fashion if you're wanting to convert old cassette tapes into WAV files.

Any questions, just let me know!

Chris

Today we had our first REAL pre-production meeting where my team and I sat down and tried to figure out the challenges of creating all the sets and props needed. It was so exciting to officially get the ball rolling!! :hurray:

The set that I was most worried about was the Control Room. I was considerably worried about the Control Panel itself, and the entrance to the Imaging Chamber. Thank GOD for my beloved team because they had the entire game plan down in about 20 minutes. It was so unbelievable how they dissected the pictures from the QL set. I was amazed. (I was honestly expecting it to be as difficult as our bridge set built for our 'Star Trek vs. Batman' series.)

One of the first comments made by our chief designer was “They must have been on a budget.” as he and two of my other designers began to dissect the set and handlink in great detail. These guys are absolutely amazing, folks. Not only can we recreate this set to exact detail, but it will look absolutely phenomenal. Its amazing how many tricks set designers can come up with to recreate certain pieces and props.

The Control Panel will be built using mainly clear acrylic materials. We’re also pretty sure what these colored boxes are atop the Control Panel…
leapback_gooshiecontrol.jpg

Office storage units. At least that’s our best guess. They were widely produced in the late 80’s, and are off the market now. And see the silver looking backdrop? You would be amazed at how easy that is to reproduce!!

While I don’t want to give away any trade secrets just yet, we can effectively reproduce an authentic working handlink (no sounds) for under $70, complete with blinking lights. Don’t worry, I’ll pass along a “how to” later in the summer as we are constructing sets and props.

Our next pre-production meeting is set for March 29th where we’ll figure out where this set will be constructed, and how many materials we’ll need. Also, our open auditions are scheduled to take place on the same day, and you all should see the applicants that are rolling in… every one of them are tagged with “I loved Quantum Leap!!” One of our candidates was even in "Risky Business"!

Lots of excitement to come, folks. :D Stay tuned!!

Chris

Kirok said:
Office storage units.

Office storage units! That'sZiggy's secret?? :lol Who knew those little plastic things had such enormous processing power!

Wish I could come to Indianapolis to be part of this, but I don't think it's feasible. It's fun to follow your progress on this board, though.

Good luck!

*grins* Office storage units, huh? Well, they were on a budget.

Are we going to see these candidates? I'm dying to 'meet' your potential Sams and Als. And what are the chances of being able to get a photo taken in the control room set? That'd be a kick in the butt!

Thank you for the how-to, Chris! It will be no problem to hook the DVD player to the computer (proximity-wise), as I am using the work computer, and I bring a portable DVD player to work. And I worked for RadioShack years ago (before I started using computers daily), so I know exactly the component to get! Thanks again! :bow

You're welcome, Al. Glad I could be of service. Let me know how that turns out!

LadyKayoss: I will be posting our choices on here for Al and Sam after our auditions on the 29th. And yes!! Anyone is more than welcome to come by and see our Control Room set! We did that on Star Trek vs Batman, and had a great turnout!

Well, wish us luck folks... Saturday's the day this process begins. I'll be sharing our results with everyone afterwards too. I'll be particularly interested to see how many folks show up on Saturday. I feel like there will be a decent turnout, but one can never be to sure. I know a lot of the same folks I worked with on Star Trek vs. Batman will be coming back on board for this too.

I’m sort of worried if I’ll get any good actors for Sam and Al… ughh… wish us luck!

Take care,

Chris

AWESOME!!!! Now I just hope I can pull this off! No, just teasing... just teasing!! :lol

I meant to annouce that we secured the Omni Severin Hotel in downtown Indianapolis for shooting this too. This is where some of the Colts stay during games, celebrities, and is a major hotel here in Indy. I'm supposed to go Friday to get some pictures, but they're letting us use the Presidential Suite, main ballroom, and conference rooom exclusively for this film. We met with the Manager last Friday, and he's all for it... plus he's a Leaper too, and was glad too know someone is trying to re-launch the show in some way.

Chris

We had a great location scout assignment today to document the layout of our main location for A Leap to Di For.

This location will serve as the British Embassy in Paris, France. I hope it looks ‘British’ enough. :lol I really like the aesthetics of this magnificent location, the Omni Severin here in Indy!

Main Reception Area.

The Royal Suite where Sam talks to Princess Diana.

The Presidential 'War Room'

All in all, a very productive day. I am sooooooo incredibly pleased with our progress!!

Our casting call was a 50/50 success last Saturday as I filled all of the supporting roles, but am torn between my two choices for Sam. I didn't even have an 'Al' show up, but now have a lead on two actors. We did find our Princess Diana!

I'll be posting casting decisions as they happen.