Go Back   Al's Place Quantum Leap Online Community >
Main Quantum Leap Discussions
> Fanfilm, Revival, & Other Time Travels

Old 10-01-2007, 10:46 AM   #51
tina_als_girl
PQL Security Staff

Yeah, Sigourney turns 58 a week from today... Definitely too old for Sammy Jo.

I say go for Teri Hatcher if they have Donna in the movie; she's pretty much A-list nowadays 'cause of Desperate Housewives, and I always liked her best as Donna anyhow.

I think Jennifer Garner is definitely the best idea of A-listers that has been suggested thus far, since she has plenty of both movie and TV work and a name that will sell without overshadowing the project.

Joy

tina_als_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 03:57 PM   #52
isz
Assistant to Gooshie

I have another nominee,and i can't believe it took me so long to remember her. she's a 30 year old actress(will turn 31 in January 8th 2008 ) and a great singer,and her name is Amber Benson(mostly known as Tara Maclay from BTVS) -
http://imdb.com/name/nm0072435/
Old 10-01-2007, 10:35 PM   #53
Sam Beckett Fan
Senior Leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by isz
Hmmm...I think she's too old for playing Sammy-Jo,but...Maybe if we'll have a Beth or a Donna in this project she might feet.
Interesting propisition but I don't think she's right for Donna or Beth. I think Susan Doil the original Beth and Terri Hatcher the original Donna are the best. And although from my observation this opinion does not seem to be shared by anyone, I think Mimi Kuzyk was a great Donna as well.

And yes I am aware of how old Weaver is, but I believe I stated that she doesn't much look it, and remember what Julia said actresses play parts a little shy of their age all the time. Unless the production had a limit and that's what you both meant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina_Als_Girl
I think Jennifer Garner is definitely the best idea of A-listers that has been suggested thus far, since she has plenty of both movie and TV work and a name that will sell without overshadowing the project.
She has the acting type for it, but her look is just not Sammy Jo. Not in my opinion although I enjoy her very much.

-=-=-=-=-
Icon made by the lovely Ladystoneheart with the beautiful screen captures of StrayStar.
Signature made by me.
My QL screen capture collection: http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/Sa...?sort=3&page=1
Sam Beckett Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 06:27 AM   #54
isz
Assistant to Gooshie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Beckett Fan

She has the acting type for it, but her look is just not Sammy Jo. Not in my opinion although I enjoy her very much.

You won't believe i'm saying that,but...i agree with you,the only problem with Jennifer Garner,in my opinion, is her look.Her face,just,doesn't say - a Genius.
I believe we'll all agree ,that Sammy-Jo suppose to be a Genius and ,in my opinion,she should have the hmm..."right look" of a genius.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:42 PM   #55
tina_als_girl
PQL Security Staff

LOL... I suppose I'd have to agree with you on that, too. I think it's because she has one of those "baby faces", where she doesn't look as old as she actually is.

I rather liked the actress Cara Pifko that I suggested in my first post on this thread. She's a pretty good actress, she's not one of those big names that would overshadow everything else, she's mostly done TV work (which helps if they decide to spin off the QL movie), and she has a nice face that looks very intelligent. (Her HEADSHOT)

I do still like the idea of Madchen Amick and definitely Melora Hardin as candidates.

Joy

Old 10-02-2007, 09:25 PM   #56
Lightning McQueenie
Project Observer

I was thinking - I saw "Somewhere in Time" last night and it got me thinking that Jodie Foster could make a good Donna or Beth...
Old 10-03-2007, 06:04 PM   #57
Snish
Observer's Aid

Brian, I'm wondering if any additional information about the film is available. Is Deborah hoping to use Dean and Scott as Al and Sam? And we don't know what supporting characters like Beth or Donna might be needed. I mean, it would be nice to know how much this film is going to follow from the QL series, and how much it will be a new creation.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:46 PM   #58
alsplacebartender
Al's Place Bartender

I don't have that info just yet. But you can bet that with Deborah behind it, it'll have the spirit of QL we have longed for all these years. I hope Universal gives her a green light!

Brian Greene
Al's Place Bartender
alsplacebartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:44 PM   #59
Sam Beckett Fan
Senior Leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by isz
You won't believe i'm saying that,but...i agree with you,the only problem with Jennifer Garner,in my opinion, is her look.Her face,just,doesn't say - a Genius.
I believe we'll all agree ,that Sammy-Jo suppose to be a Genius and ,in my opinion,she should have the hmm..."right look" of a genius.
Yeah she is supposed to be a genious that's even canon-confirmed in the show, she inherited Sam's mind and it shows her having his photographic memory when she talks about remebering her favorite book RiggyDune(Sp?). I believe Al also stated what her IQ was when He and Sam first meet her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina_Als_girl
LOL... I suppose I'd have to agree with you on that, too. I think it's because she has one of those "baby faces", where she doesn't look as old as she actually is.
Yeah agreed, she's like me she has a child like face and figure which I don't think is a Sammy Jo charactoristic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naggindraggin
I was thinking - I saw "Somewhere in Time" last night and it got me thinking that Jodie Foster could make a good Donna or Beth...
I love Jodie Foster, she was great in Silence of the Lambs and I was disappionted when they replaced her in the sequal Hannibel. I also loved her in Flight Plan. I could see her as Beth if the original Actress can't return. Because Susan Doil just captures Beth so perfectly.

-=-=-=-=-
Icon made by the lovely Ladystoneheart with the beautiful screen captures of StrayStar.
Signature made by me.
My QL screen capture collection: http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/Sa...?sort=3&page=1
Old 10-03-2007, 11:27 PM   #60
alsplacebartender
Al's Place Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Beckett Fan
...she inherited Sam's mind and it shows her having his photographic memory when she talks about remebering her favorite book RiggyDune(Sp?).
That's Brigadoon. It's a play. From wikipedia:

Brigadoon is a musical with a book and lyrics by Alan Jay Lerner and music by Frederick Loewe. It tells the story of a mysterious Scottish village that appears for only one day every hundred years, though to the villagers, the passing of each century seems no longer than one night. The enchantment is viewed by them as a blessing rather than a curse, for it saved the village from destruction. According to their covenant with God, no one from Brigadoon may ever leave, or the enchantment will be broken and the site and all its inhabitants will disappear into the mist forever. Two American tourists, lost in the Highlands, stumble upon the village just as a wedding is about to be celebrated, and their arrival has serious implications for the village's inhabitants.

Interesting that one day passes for the village while a century passes for the rest of us. Kind of like Sam leaping through time... one day passes for him, but many years for the rest of us. Cool, huh? I did this play in high school. There's a pic of me in a kilt somewhere around here lol.

Brian Greene
Al's Place Bartender
Old 10-04-2007, 12:24 AM   #61
Lightning McQueenie
Project Observer

You know - that would be a good name for the QL movie...

BRIGADOON... a Quantum Leap story...

Since it has ties with the actual act of leaping and that it is Sammy Jo's favourite book...

I wonder if Deborah Pratt could get permission to use it as the title???
Old 10-04-2007, 01:14 AM   #62
Sam Beckett Fan
Senior Leaper

Thanx for the Info Brian.
And very interesting idea Naggindraggin.

-=-=-=-=-
Signature made by me.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:57 PM   #63
Lightning McQueenie
Project Observer

Or maybe Sammy Jo's nickname could be Brigadoon...
Old 10-05-2007, 01:04 AM   #64
RossBeckett
Project Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckleaper
What about casting Catherine Bell? She played alongside David James Elliot in JAG, is familiar with Bellasario, and if I say so myself is a gorgeous talented actress. I think she would be a great pick, not sure if the age matches up, but I'd go after her for the possible role.
You know that's weird. I was picturing Catherine Bell as Sammy when I first read TVS premiere, "Double The Leap, Double The Danger".

Another good actress would be Kate Hewlett.
&
Amanda Peet

~Steve B

*TMG is the fictional conglomerate corporation that owns the fictional National Broadcasting System(NBS) and both were created by Aaron Sorkin("The West Wing", "A Few Good Men")
RossBeckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 02:40 AM   #65
Luckleaper
PQL Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsplacebartender
I don't have that info just yet. But you can bet that with Deborah behind it, it'll have the spirit of QL we have longed for all these years. I hope Universal gives her a green light!
In the spirit of being nosey Brian, I was wondering if you had any time frame to look for in terms of approval and other info. Is Deborah supposed to hear about the script within the next month, before the new year, etc.? And thanks for all the info so far.

Luckleaper
Old 10-05-2007, 02:55 AM   #66
tina_als_girl
PQL Security Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossBeckett

Another good actress would be Kate Hewlett.
&
Amanda Peet
Oooo, yes yes yes! Kate Hewlett's da bomb! I could totally see her in the role (though they'd need to dye her hair).

And then you could give her brother David a bit part somewhere (ooo, he'd be awesome as Gooshie's replacement; a goofy-but-smart head technician in the Leap control center).

Joy

Old 10-05-2007, 10:11 PM   #67
alsplacebartender
Al's Place Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckleaper
In the spirit of being nosey Brian, I was wondering if you had any time frame to look for in terms of approval and other info. Is Deborah supposed to hear about the script within the next month, before the new year, etc.? And thanks for all the info so far.

Luckleaper
Sorry, I don't know and I don't think Deborah does either at this point in time.

Brian Greene
Al's Place Bartender
Old 10-07-2007, 06:28 PM   #68
RossBeckett
Project Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tina_als_girl
Oooo, yes yes yes! Kate Hewlett's da bomb! I could totally see her in the role (though they'd need to dye her hair).

And then you could give her brother David a bit part somewhere (ooo, he'd be awesome as Gooshie's replacement; a goofy-but-smart head technician in the Leap control center).

Joy
I hope they keep Gooshie. Just becuase the wonderful Dennis Wolfberg(God rest his soul) is deceased does not mean that they should create another character to replace him. But David Hewlett would be a good candidate for the role.

~Steve B.

*TMG is the fictional conglomerate corporation that owns the fictional National Broadcasting System(NBS) and both were created by Aaron Sorkin("The West Wing", "A Few Good Men")
Old 10-07-2007, 10:31 PM   #69
tina_als_girl
PQL Security Staff

I'd prefer them to create a new character than try to recast the role. I'm not a huge fan of recasting characters...

Joy

Old 10-08-2007, 12:26 AM   #70
RossBeckett
Project Observer

*IF* this was to become a TV series, then Kate hewlett could be in it as a regular but not her brother as a regular. He could, however, appear from time to time(again no pun). But from what I've seen, this is in fact a screenplay and not a teleplay. So they both could be in the movie even though the odds are very low given the fact that there are all of our suggestions PLUS Deborah's choices.

~Steve B.

P.S. Big thanks to Deborah!

Old 10-08-2007, 02:50 AM   #71
Sam Beckett Fan
Senior Leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tina_als_girl
I'd prefer them to create a new character than try to recast the role. I'm not a huge fan of recasting characters...

Joy
I am with you joy, I am not a fan of re-casting roles either especially in this case. Sorry Steve but in this case yes it does mean there has to be a new charactor. No one could pull off like role like Dennis. If Dennis is dead, Gooshi is dead.

-=-=-=-=-
Signature made by me.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:36 PM   #72
tina_als_girl
PQL Security Staff

Yeah, if this became a series, then yeah, David wouldn't be able to do it (of course, we don't know just how long Atlantis is going to last, with the way the ratings are doing and the way Sci-Fi treats its series) unless they make it a recurring role rather than lead, similar to how Gooshie's was in the original series.

Joy

Old 10-09-2007, 12:03 AM   #73
RossBeckett
Project Observer

Just purely for fun, I was thinking of John Billingsley. Yes, I agree they should not re-cast Gooshie, but I was looking at Billingsley's imdb photo and he looks somewhat like Dennis. Well sort of.

But then I got to thinking; what if David were to play Sammy Jo's half brother? Heh? In Trilogy Part 3 we found out that Abigail married a great guy(which in TVS his name is Philip Mililani) but Al never mentioned anything about any children they might have had. AND, her half brother can be the head programmer. Or half sister, in which case David obviously can't have that role unless he reverts back to Shakespearean times.

~Steve B.

Old 10-09-2007, 01:14 AM   #74
tina_als_girl
PQL Security Staff

Oh, I like your idea about the half-brother thing.

And, wow, I didn't even think about John Billingsley. Maybe if they used him they could have it that he's Gooshie's brother, but he reminds everyone of him so they just call him Gooshie.

Joy

Old 10-09-2007, 06:40 AM   #75
isz
Assistant to Gooshie

In a QL movie,that taking place a few yeas after the series ended originally, i believe there won't be any Gooshi,as a respect for the memory of Denis Wolfberg.I believe there woulld be a new head programmer for Ziggy.
Anyway,in my opinion it s hould be Tina.There's no reason to come uo with a "Gooshie's brother","Sammy-Jo's half brother",or anyone else.
Tina is ,already, in the project,and had a big part of it,and a big part of programming Ziggy. So why do you think they need to bring someone from the outside?!