Old 11-19-2006, 11:37 AM   #26
LadyKayoss
Observer's Aid

I seem to remember in some interview done with various cast and crew during season three that they made a reference to Deborah writing the Trilogy; so it'd been around for that long, at least.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:30 PM   #27
Orianna
PQL Visitor

There's always the idea that Al was having an affair with Donna....

*ducks*

Seriously, though, when I watched "The Leap Back", I kept getting the impression that there was something going on between Donna and Al. And not just that she was blackmailing him into not telling Sam she exists. It's been too long since I've seen the episode, so I can't give specific details, just a number of small things that weren't otherwise expained... expressions on Donna's face, how she interacted with Al at the end of the episode, etc. And if Tina and Gooshie really were having an affair, as Ziggy suggested, Al wouldn't be above getting even or being on the rebound.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:35 PM   #28
Don Quixote
Imaging Chamber Technician

I think despite that Al would have too much respect for Sam to try anything with Donna.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:28 PM   #29
asearcher
Observer's Aid

I agree with you Don Quixote. Al may have had a healthy libido but he was not one to mess around with his best friend's wife. I think he cared about Donna like family, which Sam was to him in every way but blood.

Now, Al might have an affair with someone ELSE at the project...but not Donna. Indeed, I can't see anyone who Sam convinced to come onto the project betraying him in that way.

Now Donna? At the point of 4 years (which is when the Leap Back took place,) I can see her being totally true to Sam. Her basic feelings in the Leap Back I have no problem with (although I much prefer the previous Donna in Star Crossed.) The problem I have is with Donna turning into a martyr for Sam's love, always pining away for him. That might be Bellasario's fantasy, but from a woman's perspective, turning her life off for the slim prospect of ever having him return is not reasonable.

Indeed, the whole thing with Beth is understandable. At the point of MIA She truly thought that Al was dead. She gave up and decided to live for herself (not a bad choice.) After the Leap Home, she would have found out that Al wasn't dead (Maggie's Picture), but only after having him declared as such and marrying Dirk. That might have caused Beth great sadness, but again she'd made her choice based on the reality that she saw. After MI, she had hope again and was able to hang on. Then the picture would have just solidified it for her.

Now consider this. Say she had Sam leap in and tell her that Al was coming home but there was no picture by Maggie to see and by the end of the war or longer after that, he still hadn't returned. Would she still believe what Sam said or would she have lost hope again? I think that if Al had not returned and there had been no picture that Beth would have lost hope as well.

Thus, with the current canon that "Dr. Sam Beckett Never Returned Home" being the reality, Donna would have eventually lost hope as well. At some point she would have chosen to go on with her life. I just can't see Donna becoming a martyr to love. She was never that type of woman.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:54 PM   #30
QL Nut
Project Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by asearcher
Thus, with the current canon that "Dr. Sam Beckett Never Returned Home" being the reality, Donna would have eventually lost hope as well. At some point she would have chosen to go on with her life. I just can't see Donna becoming a martyr to love. She was never that type of woman.
I would say that Donna would have probably gone through the same process of thinking as Beth. Since Sam never returned home, it is inevitable that Project Quantum Leap would eventually lose its funding and ultimately become shut down. (This is going by the distinct impression I have that PQL forever lost contact with Sam once he leaped out of Al's Place.) With no more contact, there would be no way for anyone at PQL to know if Sam happened to die on a leap. So Beth and Donna would have very similar circumstances and I believe Donna would eventually have to declare Sam as good as dead in her own mind. For her to live out the rest of her life wondering back and forth if Sam is ever going to make it back, or is still even alive, it could potentially drive her to the point of insanity.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:43 AM   #31
Snish
Observer's Aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orianna
There's always the idea that Al was having an affair with Donna....

*ducks*

Seriously, though, when I watched "The Leap Back", I kept getting the impression that there was something going on between Donna and Al.
I think Al genuinely respects and cares for Donna, but he's never going to make a move on his best friend's wife. We always hear Al talking about women, and see him ogling them when they can't see him, but this might be the first time we see him really face to face with one. So I think it's great to see how he interacts with her. He's kind and totally respectful, treats her as an equal and a friend. He may be attracted to her (after all, he's attracted to practically every woman), but I see him showing admiration rather than attraction. Since this is a top secret project and Al is the only one who talks to Sam, Al is also the only person Donna can talk to about him. So it's going to create a bond between them, but as asearcher suggested, I think it's more like family.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:46 AM   #32
Don Quixote
Imaging Chamber Technician

I think that Sam would want Donna to be happy and move on, because he knows (or would know!) of the pain and hurt his absence is causing her.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:33 PM   #33
McDuck
Junior Leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snish
I think Al genuinely respects and cares for Donna, but he's never going to make a move on his best friend's wife. We always hear Al talking about women, and see him ogling them when they can't see him, but this might be the first time we see him really face to face with one. So I think it's great to see how he interacts with her. He's kind and totally respectful, treats her as an equal and a friend. He may be attracted to her (after all, he's attracted to practically every woman), but I see him showing admiration rather than attraction. Since this is a top secret project and Al is the only one who talks to Sam, Al is also the only person Donna can talk to about him. So it's going to create a bond between them, but as asearcher suggested, I think it's more like family.
I agree. Well said. Both you and CO Helen
Old 11-30-2006, 03:18 PM   #34
leaper
Control Room Technician

and of course this is just a thought from the fans of the show becouse belisario NEVER but NEVER showed us that there was a little thing between donna and al.or something that was gonna happen.I think like everyone else the donna character was a mistake in the show.they wanted to make the show more interesting,and i say mistake couse they forgot her totally after the leap back.So there was NO way to see al comes to this dellima if he started attracted to donna