I Need Copyright Approval...

NeuroMason

Project QL Intern
Feb 25, 2007
USA
Hello,

I need to Contact Don Bellasario and/or somebody i can talk to about making Handlink Replicas. I can make them all i want and even trade for them however, in order to recieve cash for them i feel it would be best to at least ask Bellasario for permission. If there is anybody who can help please do! The Handlink has always been one of my Favorite Props!! I know alot of you feel the same so please help me Bring the Handlink into the hands of other fans!!! Even if you don't know how i can get a hold of Bellasario or the production company, then please feel free to at least give me some advice on how to create these without stirring up any legal problems. Thanks everybody!!

Neuro Mason8)

Paramount Pictures
5555 Melrose Avenue
Los Angeles
CA 90038
-or-
Don Bellisario
c/o Belisarius Productions
Bow Bldg #204
Paramount Studios
5555 Melrose Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90038

Mr. Bellisario's addresses. I'm afraid I can't help you with advice, however.

I believe the show is property of Universal Studios, not Don Bellisario. This is just a guess, but I doubt Universal would grant permission to make handlinks--if they did, they would want an astronomical amount of money for the right to manufacture them.

You're probably better off just keeping a low profile and selling a few of the handlinks privately.

Snish said:
I believe the show is property of Universal Studios, not Don Bellisario. This is just a guess, but I doubt Universal would grant permission to make handlinks--if they did, they would want an astronomical amount of money for the right to manufacture them.

You're probably better off just keeping a low profile and selling a few of the handlinks privately.
I agree because Universal is a cold hearted company judging by the quality of the DVDs anyway since they refused to let go of a cent to pay for the good music and songs and put hardly any special features. It seems like people had a enough trouble convincing them to release the show on DVD let alone your request.

If you are that set on trying this though I suggest selling a few strictly by email to people you know. And I mean people who already have your email address and you feel you can trust; don't be giving it out and advertising what you are doing. Like Snish said you would need to keep this business on the down low.

Last edited:
you all have a really good point... humm... well, its just sad that people can't have one if they want one. Im just gonna go on ebay and buy a bunch of quantum leap t-shirts or something and sale them for somewhere around 400 dollars... then i'll just give my replica away for free :)

So, a $400 T-shirt with a free handlink? You're a master at making people think they have a fantastic bargain. A fool such as myself would make the T shirt look like a free product, and the time and effort $400.

I'm not putting you down, don't worry. I've gained +1 skill in trade. Be proud. You're making me into a crafty bloke.

Although I guess everyone is right. Universal do own the copyright, and would demand an arm and a leg for production.

If I were you, I'd stick with your idea, but if anyone in America is anything like anyone over here, they'd kill you for selling a T shirt at $400. What I've learned to do for anything like this, is, sell the first few at about $150 (covering the price of the shirt and handlink so people think they have a bargain), then every week, increase the price by %15 until you finally reach $400.

Apologies if the idea seems a little unrealistic.

Also, is there any chance of you putting some of the handlink replicas on Amazon.com? I'd pay for the shipping to Europe and everything.
If so, don't stick them up on Amazon yet, just in case I decide against purchasing a replica (however excellent they are, over here in England, we're being taxed to death by the Government, so I'd also think about saving my money for a time I really require it).

lol true.. i could do that... its just that the 400 dollar t-shirt thing would keep me out of trouble... The idea is, as long as people arent paying me for the handlink... The handlink would have to be "free" as it appears in writing. There are plenty of people on ebay whom are doing that. I was on there a few minutes ago and theres a guy that has a listing for a "Spiderman/ Venom Action figure" for 1000.00 and if you buy the action figure, you get a "venom" Custom Costume for free!!! see, as long as the person isnt paying for the costume, then theres nothing wrong.. but we all know what were really getting.. lol

SamBeckett94 said:
So, a $400 T-shirt with a free handlink? You're a master at making people think they have a fantastic bargain. A fool such as myself would make the T shirt look like a free product, and the time and effort $400.

I'm not putting you down, don't worry. I've gained +1 skill in trade. Be proud. You're making me into a crafty bloke.

Although I guess everyone is right. Universal do own the copyright, and would demand an arm and a leg for production.

If I were you, I'd stick with your idea, but if anyone in America is anything like anyone over here, they'd kill you for selling a T shirt at $400. What I've learned to do for anything like this, is, sell the first few at about $150 (covering the price of the shirt and handlink so people think they have a bargain), then every week, increase the price by %15 until you finally reach $400.

Apologies if the idea seems a little unrealistic.

Also, is there any chance of you putting some of the handlink replicas on Amazon.com? I'd pay for the shipping to Europe and everything.
If so, don't stick them up on Amazon yet, just in case I decide against purchasing a replica (however excellent they are, over here in England, we're being taxed to death by the Government, so I'd also think about saving my money for a time I really require it).
OK why the heck would a t-shirt be $400? The ones around here that I buy are $25 max. What kind of t-shirt is this to be worth an arm and a leg?

He's saying he'll list the T-shirt for $400 and throw in the handlink for free, which covers his arse, but really the $400 is going towards to cost of the handlink and the t-shirt for free.

Oh, I understand now but thats unreasonable for a t-shirt you need a cover up item thats much more worth that. No one will make that purchase if they think they are paying that rediculous price is for the t-shirt. Thats also a scam because its a dishonest and sleezy way of making the sale. Its also still risking being found out especially the way you have it figured out because $400 for a t-shirt is beyond unrealistic at least in America I don't know how other countrys work. I'm sorry but I would not suggest this method, I would go with my idea from my first post. Its your decision though as I am not involved in this.

Last edited:
NeuroMason, I'm going to full heartily wish you luck on getting the copyright permission. I just when through a wait of over a month to find out a yes or no on copyright permission. It turned out in the end who I thought held the copyright no longer owned it. Easy no guess bet about who owns the copyright on the handlink prop. But you might want to do some side research just encase.

...Odd ball on this copyright bit, Universal owns part of the copyright I was asking about :\ .

Sam Beckett Fan said:
Ah ok, Sorry you never got the approval.

Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. However it is the fault of information not up to date on who owns the copyright with content posted online. I just wish that it didn't take a month for Wizards of the Coast to tell me they didn't have it any more.

systemcat said:
Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. However it is the fault of information not up to date on who owns the copyright with content posted online. I just wish that it didn't take a month for Wizards of the Coast to tell me they didn't have it any more.

True people need to update that kind of information or not makes guesses if that was the case.

Sam Beckett Fan said:
True people need to update that kind of information or not makes guesses if that was the case.

In more than one place I'd read Wizards of the Coast ( TSR Games ) held the copyright. The lawyer I was speaking with on the phone when this whole thing ended said they'd given up the copyright a few years back. He said at a guess the Nowlan family were probably the current copyright holders. But since he didn't know this fact for sure I can't give updated information to the Wiki Buck Rogers page.

asearcher said:
You might be able to offer it but not as a Quantum Leap handlink. It's the association with QL, Al, Ziggy, and all of that that gets one into hot water. If someone were to call this something COMPLETELY different with NO association to any intellectual property (copywrite, trademark, patent) then there is the possibility of sales.

Look at the costumes for Halloween as an example. There may be "space cadet" costumes that look earilly familiar to ST fans. BUT it will NEVER be an exact duplicate. The exact duplicate (or so close that it becomes obvious that is what you're doing) is what gets you into trouble without licensing fees. Course, that's also what a lot of fans want.

It's a tricky system to work through.

Thats a good suggestion Helen but thats near an impossible trick for the handlink because its a very unique gadget. There is really nothing he could pull off passing it off as. That is unless he designed it slightly differently and said it was a fancy calculater. But I doubt he would opt for that since he seems to want it to somehow remain a QL product to appeal to QL fans. Othereise he would not be asking for ways to get copyright permission.

Re: Intellectual Property

I got that. Trust me, I'm not blind to what the point is in this thread. I don't appreciate the implication that I had to have the issues explained to me.

What I was getting at is the issue with licensing. As has been stated time and time again throughout this thread...the chances of getting QL licensing privledges at a cost effective level are thin and none. This was just a suggestion of HOW it MIGHT be done.

As to it being 'unique,' well, hate to say it but those ST costumes are pretty unique as well. There's no mistaking 'what' the cheap knock offs are trying to portray. That's the whole point...getting something that looks ENOUGH like something.

It's also the reason why people who really WANT an 'authentic' usually end up making things themselves (including ST uniforms...I've seen some that are spot on...incredibly detailed.) It's pretty much impossible to purchase the things. You can always hire someone to do it, I guess, but then it's a one on one transaction and TPTB (intellectual property wise) are unlikely to mind too much about that. Unlikely being the key word.

asearcher said:
I got that. Trust me, I'm not blind to what the point is in this thread. I don't appreciate the implication that I had to have the issues explained to me.

What I was getting at is the issue with licensing. As has been stated time and time again throughout this thread...the chances of getting QL licensing privledges at a cost effective level are thin and none. This was just a suggestion of HOW it MIGHT be done.

As to it being 'unique,' well, hate to say it but those ST costumes are pretty unique as well. There's no mistaking 'what' the cheap knock offs are trying to portray. That's the whole point...getting something that looks ENOUGH like something.

It's also the reason why people who really WANT an 'authentic' usually end up making things themselves (including ST uniforms...I've seen some that are spot on...incredibly detailed.) It's pretty much impossible to purchase the things. You can always hire someone to do it, I guess, but then it's a one on one transaction and TPTB (intellectual property wise) are unlikely to mind too much about that. Unlikely being the key word.

Sorry you misread me; I did not intended offense. I was not at all trying to indicate that you did not know what you were talking about. I was only offering my view of the idea although I guess I must have misread you in turn. I guess I still don't understand then. So he sells the handlinks without calling them handlinks is what you are saying? If so how does that change anything? It sounds like a scam to me. Again I could still be understanding you wrong so please take none of this personally.

Last edited:
Re: Intellectual Property

They would have to be somewhat OFF of what QL had. If an EXACT duplicate...it could be shown that is what it was. However, if different enough (colors in different places, different shapes perhaps) then the product could be called a 'Sci Fi computer interface.'

The main thing is (besides being somewhat different)...it couldn't refer to QL, Ziggy, PH Computer, Al, Sam, Gooshie, or ANYTHING QL connected.

NOW...if it became HUGHLY sucessful ($ coming out of everywhere)...the company COULD start a lawsuit...after all, McDonald's tried to sue a restaurant in Scotland (that had been there for over 100 years) because it was called (you guessed it) McDonalds. They didn't win, mind you, but the lawsuit was filed none the less.

So...as long as this doesn't set one up for retirement...one is probably safe from lawsuits if 1) not an exact duplicate 2) called something else and 3) not associated in ANY way with QL.

But then, you might be defeating your own purpose.

Last edited:
asearcher said:
They would have to be somewhat OFF of what QL had. If an EXACT duplicate...it could be shown that is what it was. However, if different enough (colors in different places, different shapes perhaps) then the product could be called a 'Sci Fi computer interface.'

The main thing is (besides being somewhat different)...it couldn't refer to QL, Ziggy, PH Computer, Al, Sam, Gooshie, or ANYTHING QL connected.

NOW...if it became HUGHLY sucessful ($ coming out of everywhere)...the company COULD start a lawsuit...after all, McDonald's tried to sue a restaurant in Scotland (that had been there for over 100 years) because it was called (you guessed it) McDonalds. They didn't win, mind you, but the lawsuit was filed none the less.

So...as long as this doesn't set one up for retirement...one is probably safe from lawsuits if 1) not an exact duplicate 2) called something else and 3) not associated in ANY way with QL.

But then, you might be defeating your own purpose.

Oh ok I see what you are saying now. He changes its appearence slightly and passes if off as merely a sci-fi gadget. And he could still get in trouble but its loads safer. Ok. Thank you for the explination and sorry again for the misunderstanding.

I really don't like the word "scam" used above.

If Bellisario owned QL then it would be one thing, but Universal is a different story. My suggestion to NeuroMason is to make it a limited collectible type of thing. The T-shirt is a good idea. The most important thing is to protect yourself from litigation.

I have also thought of building my own handlink and gave up since I cannot source the materials and get them cut properly (despite having a friend in the business).

Paramount is a lot of things, but they were very wise in one regard. Anyone can make Star Trek-based videos including the original theme music, costume designs, etc. as long as they are not trying to make money. I don't know about props though.