Deliberate or grammatical error?

SamBeckett94

Project QL Intern
Jan 21, 2007
A question that's been bugging me for a while; the characters in the show always say 'leaped', not 'leapt'. I thought it was a grammatical error to beging with, but then realized that 'leaped' may be describing a different action (as in quantum leaping, not jumping forwards through the air).

Would you think it is a grammatical error, or do you think that it is intentional?

I don't believe it's deliberate; it's just that both spellings/pronunciations are acceptable and correct in the English language, and both of them mean the same thing. It's not the same as the words "hung" and "hanged," for example, as one refers to execution and the other refers to any other object, etc. I personally use both variations in my posts depending on the context of what I'm talking about. Sometimes it sounds better to me to say something like, "Sam leapt back to 1945." Other times it sounds better for me to say, "Because Ziggy doesn't exist in the year you've leaped into."

I have to admit, that does sound a lot more likely.

When I lived with my mam when I was a child, she always gave me a clip around the ear for saying 'hanged'. I tell you, the amount of times I had to explain to her...
She's never been good with grammar.

Ah, thank you. I see now. I've never been up on the American grammar.
You've been most helpful.