Superbowl XL and XXX in Quantum Leap episodes?

question

Project QL Intern
Jan 13, 2006
Looking for info on the show..help!!?

Ok, first of all, I loved this show when it was on...one of the few that I would try to watch on a regular basis. I'm looking for some info about the shows references to the Pittsburh Steelers. I'm aware of the all american episode where Al mentions he was watching the Cowboys and Steelers in SBXXX and that actually came true a few years later. However, there was much talk on a steelers web site that I go to that there was another episode late in the shows running that mention the steelers in the super bowel again. The poster stated that the episode had something to do with the U.S. in a war and the steelers were playing the seahawks in the SB. I've tried to find reference to this w/no luck.....anyone w/info? Would help a lot...thanks!!

I might be wrong, but I think that was from the episode "All American" where Sam leaps into a high school football player. I remember that reference too, but i bit fuzzy from exactly where. I think this is the ep. It on the Season 2 box set if u happen to have it.

Samantha Beckett

PS....your screen name is awesome, lol

Superbowl XL in Quantum Leap episode?

I have a question about an episode I heard rumors of and was wondering if anyone can verify it. In the supposed episode, Al says he has been watching Super Bowl XL, in which the Seattle Seahawks were playing the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Does anyone know which episode it is?

Idk if it was those two particular teams (im pretty sure Pittsburgh was in there tho), but i think it was All Americans as well. I'll have to double check. Al's statement of the score was pretty darn close to the real score of the real game in whatever year Al was in if i believe.

Samantha Beckett

P.S. GO PITTSBURGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But did the writers know what the score was (because the game had been played) or did you just guess? and I wounder just how clouse they came.

all americans was superbowl XXX where al said it was a good game and the steelers were down by 3 (which in the 4th the were down by 3 before a 4th quarter pick that led to dallas getting a TD) this rumor is about this superbowl coming up, here i got the full quote here

And now I introduce you to the Quantum Leap theory of Super Bowl XL:

Quantum Leap was a television show in the late 80's and early 90's in the U.S. in which a character named Al helped the main character. Al's character travelled through time and would make random appearances in the show.

In the episode "All Americans", which originally aired on 17 January 1990, Al states he was watching Super Bowl XXX, and the Pittsburgh Steelers were playing and were three points behind in the fourth quarter. The actual game wouldn't air for another six years, but the Steelers did play and were, in fact, three points behind in the fourth quarter. The team hadn't been to the Super Bowl in the ten years prior.

In another episode of the same show, Al says he has been watching Super Bowl XL, in which the Seattle Seahawks were playing the Pittsburgh Steelers.

At the time the show was filmed, both of those teams were still in the AFC and a Super Bowl meeting would have been impossible.

Both teams are now playing the superbowl.

I only remember one SuperBowl reference, and that was the SuperBowl XXX one.

The other prophetic statement was about the Lakers in the playoffs in May of 1995, which was part of how Leapers came to a consensus that Sam Leaped then.

btw, I absolutely LOVED that SuperBowl reference b/c one of my fellow alumni from high school PLAYED for the Steelers in that game!

The epsiode is indeed "All Americans" where Al states that he was just watching Super Bowl 30 and the Steelers were down by three in the fourth quarter. However, there has never been an episode of QL that describes Super Bowl XL with the Steelers and Seahawks...the simple reason for this is that the timeline for 'the present' in QL was 1995-1999.

The only other sport reference made in QL was actually in the Pilot Episode about an NBA Playoff Game with the Lakers. Sam is known to have leapted in 1995 (this info is from the QL Writer's Bible and a reference in the episode "Killin' Time"), a year where the Lakers were indeed in the playoffs, setting Sam's first leap between April 27th and May 8th, 1995 going by the 1995 Lakers playoff schedule.

Hope that clears things up.