Should younger children be allowed to watch QL?

jmellissa

Project QL Intern
Aug 22, 2005
Coos Bay Oregon
Ok so do we know why the fith season will be relesed? or when it could be? My mom asked me if their really going to let the fourth out in March or not, or if they are going to push it back again. I was suppost to get the fourth for Christmas but as you know...:( :cry

I have a question: I am nannying a 13 yr old and she has seen one epesoid and she wants to see more...but do to Al's coments I don't know if I should let her see any more of them. I know she would love it cuz its got the all quantum idea beind the show. anyway thous of you that have children (being I have none) please let me know what you think. thanks, Juile

Julie--

My son is 11 and he loves QL (he just won't admit it!
tongue.gif
) I've let him watch what the eps he wants, but I am hesitant to let him see B**gieman--he gets freaked out easily & Black on White on Fire--it's very intense and I know he'll have lots of questions that I can't answer right now. Since I don't have any of Season 4 or 5 yet, I can't say about those. Most of Al's comments go right by him (but for how much longer?)

My suggestion would be to preview the eps that she wants to see and then make a decision.

HTH!

julie, there are poeple here such as claire, and oh how i wish i could say myself, who have watched it since they were like three and seven. i think its wonderful for all ages.

Aw, darn Cyd---ya beat me to it LOL.

Yeah, I've been watching QL since I was 7 and my mother was the one who introduced it to me. At that age I had no idea what Al was talking about so it didn't bother either of us. I know your girl is 13, but I would agree with elliemae. Preview them and make ur judgement. I think it would be okay for her to see them...Dr. Ruth probably not (but that DVDs not out yet). What Price Gloria? might be another one to preview and decide later too.

Samantha Beckett

dr ruth is fine my best friends 11 year old sister watched it with us, especially if your girl is thirteen it might even be helpful and its much better than the stpid movie on our body that we had to watch when i was 13 and in seventh grade, WAY too graphic, ahem i wont go into it.:angel

once agian, i wish i coud have been introduced to it way back when, my om claimed to have watched it and at times like these i wanna rip her head off for not letting me watch with her. i mean ok i was three, but big freaking woop. lol.

Wow... so many of you have been able to watch QL since you were very young, but I never even saw it until I was nine. Okay, so that was when it began airing and watching it before then was impossible, but still... And my evil parents wouldn't let me stay up to watch it, either; it aired at my bed time. I seem to recall some huge battles to stay awake to watch it, or at least the beginning, to see who Sam had Leaped into. In the episodes I did see, I remember thinking Al was funny, despite most of his comments going right over my head. Then the Sci-Fi channel began airing QL and I got to see more of Al and actually understand his comments... Well, I found him a whole lot funnier, then!

As for the impending release of the fourth season, I'm both eager to see it, and a little concerned. I know they're going to hack out the music again, and if "I Want to Know What Love Is" is gone from Temptation Eyes, someone at Universal is going to get hurt...

nine, girl you are lucky, i did not discover Ql and Beautiful Scott Bakula *sigh* until early last year, in fact it makes me feel kinda low compared to all you guys that have seen it since airing, i am probably the only one here who went this long without Ql. :(

SamBeckettfann said:
nine, girl you are lucky, i did not discover Ql and Beautiful Scott Bakula *sigh* until early last year, in fact it makes me feel kinda low compared to all you guys that have seen it since airing, i am probably the only one here who went this long without Ql. :(

Oh stop that Cyd...don't feel low about it. As long as you are into it and are among us, that's all that really matters. :D

LadyKayoss said:
As for the impending release of the fourth season, I'm both eager to see it, and a little concerned. I know they're going to hack out the music again, and if "I Want to Know What Love Is" is gone from Temptation Eyes, someone at Universal is going to get hurt...

Grab your torch and pitchforks, because it'll probably be cut. :protest

I hope that it does come out next month (its the last day of January, so i'm calling it Feb now). I'm out of work at the moment--tho that may change soon- so im collecting every spare dollar and change i can to buy it. I might have enough by March 28th, haha.

Samantha Beckett

Well, I may have discovered the show when I was nine, but I didn't get the chance to really get into it until the Sci-Fi channel picked it up. You want to know how ignorant I really was? Just before QL began its Sci-Fi channel run, I picked up one of the novels to reaquaint myself with the series. And... well... I had no idea who that Admiral Calavicci guy was. Heh... I knew who Al was, of course, but I'd never heard his rank or last name. Took me a bit to realize they were the same guy...

And maybe you were late into the fandom, but, like they say, better late then never!

yeah i guess so, but i still wanna rip my moms head off for ingnoring the perfect chance to get me into it, lol.

and i did not recignize Als last name eaither until MIA even when Beth inroduced herself to Dirk as Beth Calavicci, i did not make the connection until Sam saw his photo on the mantel. lol but i am justified that was only like my forth or fifth ever episode. hehe.

elliemae said:
Julie--

My son is 11 and he loves QL (he just won't admit it!
tongue.gif
) I've let him watch what the eps he wants, but I am hesitant to let him see B**gieman--he gets freaked out easily & Black on White on Fire--it's very intense and I know he'll have lots of questions that I can't answer right now. Since I don't have any of Season 4 or 5 yet, I can't say about those. Most of Al's comments go right by him (but for how much longer?)

My suggestion would be to preview the eps that she wants to see and then make a decision.

HTH!

Hi there, Thanks for your help.:wavey :roflmao: I think I will do just that. I think she is old enugh to understand what Al's talking about. She says her mom has had "the talk" with her so...I more then likey should just stop worrying and enjoy seeing greatest show with Shannon.
I think I said this somewhere else in a ealier post or different thread...but I was in the 10th grad when I first started seeing QL. Its what my mom let us kids see while we are dinner I think it was on Si-Fi line up then too. Wow they have played it for a long time.

[/QUOTE=LadyKayoss]Wow... so many of you have been able to watch QL since you were very young, but I never even saw it until I was nine. Okay, so that was when it began airing and watching it before then was impossible, but still... And my evil parents wouldn't let me stay up to watch it, either; it aired at my bed time. I seem to recall some huge battles to stay awake to watch it, or at least the beginning, to see who Sam had Leaped into. In the episodes I did see, I remember thinking Al was funny, despite most of his comments going right over my head. Then the Sci-Fi channel began airing QL and I got to see more of Al and actually understand his comments... Well, I found him a whole lot funnier, then!

As for the impending release of the fourth season, I'm both eager to see it, and a little concerned. I know they're going to hack out the music again, and if "I Want to Know What Love Is" is gone from Temptation Eyes, someone at Universal is going to get hurt...HTH![/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Sorry I did try to get the Quote to work but I must not know how to do it right for the 2nd time. How do I do that? must be somthing I am not seeing.

just click quote. and dont worry when i was 13 i had much worse than "the talk" we had to see a movie in science class showing thw stages of a growing baby in the womb and they had a very clear scene *which i ended up covering my eyes* of the guy you know whatting into the woman, an INSIDE view. hehe so you decide, that or Ql lol.

I think I will be letting her see QL. I had the same movie when I was in the fifth gread my mom come with me and kept on asking me if I had any Q's I just wanted to run and hide! let alone tell my mom anything. So your right QL is the best way to go and I don't think she will have any Q's I can't answer. Or I can just call her mom and let her deal with it. :roflmao:

jmellissa said:
Ok so do we know why the fith season will be relesed? or when it could be? My mom asked me if their really going to let the fourth out in March or not, or if they are going to push it back again. I was suppost to get the fourth for Christmas but as you know...:( :cry

I have a question: I am nannying a 13 yr old and she has seen one epesoid and she wants to see more...but do to Al's coments I don't know if I should let her see any more of them. I know she would love it cuz its got the all quantum idea beind the show. anyway thous of you that have children (being I have none) please let me know what you think. thanks, Juile

It's an interesting question - a solid, valid question that I can't help but answer since I do have children. I have seen what my 4 kids (3 children and 1 husband) watch on the good old television every night.

Let's see. You're worried that Al's lecherous comments. I can understand. He really comes close to crossing that line and as mentioned in the topic, someone did bring up Dr. Ruth. I will say this much about Al's comments (leaving out the Dr. Ruth episode) is usually pretty tame. I mean, you know where he's leading but he had the true blue boy scout correcting him, showing him that he doesn't always have to do that.

Now, I want you to think about the following shows:

Southpark, The Simpsons, Family Guy, American Dad, Lost, 24, Star Trek (any of them), Stargate SG1, Stargate Atlantis, NCIS, Law and Order, and I could go on and on...

Quantum Leap did something that was not only unique and interesting dealing with Time and leaping Sam into people to portray them, it also went into the history of the era that he was in. In all of the episodes, there was an overlying background that was a part of the plot. It gave way to the rising action, the climax and the anti-climax as well as giving a moral for everything. People learned from the show. Sometimes, it was Sam that learned. Sometimes it was Al. Most of the time, it was the person watching. However, it was always entertaining. The main theme that portrayed throughout Quantum Leap was the overpowering sense of family.

As far as I'm concerned, in this day and age, perhaps we need to start showing more and more of Quantum Leap to the kids. Put family back into their mind instead of some of the stuff that they are watching on TV. The Simpsons, American Dad, and Family Guy surely aren't doing it. The rest of the shows that I mentioned above are great shows - I won't deny that. However, it's more intense - fighting and in your face.

Quantum Leap is a show that is in your face - and it's based on our history! It's basically telling you the same thing that you learned in history class. If you don't learn from your history (your actual background) your doomed to repeat it. Hello.

So in response to your question: Yes.

i agree MJ, Ql does have a lot of historical reference that could be useful.
speaking of the simpsons there was a short time not to long ago i think i was in my early second digit ages, my mom would not like me to watch ren and stimpy and simpsons, well actually she wanted to ban simpsons but i talked her out of it. ren and stimpy was definate though. Ql is tame in my opinion becasue most of the time if the word Al is going to use is rated X Sam will usually cut him off, the good ole prudent prince, lol.

Ql is a great show for all ages in my personal opinion. *hint hint mom who didnt let me watch it with you when i was three :p to you) lol.

I say deffinately show it. I was 12 when I started watching and I got all the references, But I also know I was watching things that were a heck of a lot worse than inuendo.

Chances are, she has already seen/heard things that are a hundred times worse. So there is no harm in any of it, Even Dr. Ruth has a good message to it that could be helpful to her.

And I absoulutly LOVE Family Guy and The Simpsons, but I have to agree with MJ that QL would be much better to watch for a 13 year old than those shows.

QLDamsel said:
It's an interesting question - a solid, valid question that I can't help but answer since I do have children. Quantum Leap is a show that is in your face - and it's based on our history! It's basically telling you the same thing that you learned in history class. If you don't learn from your history (your actual background) your doomed to repeat it. Hello.

Wow!:hair I guess your right and all the others that have posted. I never thought of it that way. She and kinds like her have seen such worse then any thing that QL could do. In some way I beginning to think that it could work to help bring up Q's. (for when I do have kinds) I did send an email to her mother to see what she thought of her watching it. but I did let her see "how the tess was won" she really like it. This might help me with getting her to do her home work. I told her tonight if she got her homework done, then she could see one.
:heybaby I never thought that QL would be like candy to a kid.:hurray:
I hadn't thought about the whole history thing at all. but when your right your right! I have learned a buch from QL. I guess Al might have been for the adults.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well just my point I guess it was for the "grown up" but I dont think that the writer ever thought that kids would like it. If they had thought of it I think they would have keep Al from say hafe of what he did. But I think that Al made Sam, they are right work of each other very well.

Well, I've watched it since I was about 12/13, and now my 12 year old kid is really into the DVD's. I have no problem at all letting him watch it, and I actually have the ulterior motive that it's educational, becuase certain episodes deal with pivotal moments in history. He always asks questions after, so I think it's a good thing.

ChickenStu said:
Well, I've watched it since I was about 12/13, and now my 12 year old kid is really into the DVD's. I have no problem at all letting him watch it, and I actually have the ulterior motive that it's educational, becuase certain episodes deal with pivotal moments in history. He always asks questions after, so I think it's a good thing.

I think that tonight I will let her see white on black on fire. She is learning about this in school right now and it might help her understand a few thing and I talk with her after and while we watch it togetter. Educational...what is what QL should be used for!:hurray:

ChickenStu said:

yeah i was just saying that to jemellissa in a PM lol. i wish i had been exposed to Ql in my time becasue history was my worst subject i could have used it. *sniff*

jmellissa said:
I think that tonight I will let her see white on black on fire. She is learning about this in school right now and it might help her understand a few thing and I talk with her after and while we watch it togetter. Educational...what is what QL should be used for!

i totally agreed like i said it might have helped me do better in history. makes me kinda wonder if my seven year old cousin would like it. Als comments would not be knew she watched stuff that uses words like boobs and stuff in fact she likes shows like venum ER on animal planet and stuff, plus it would be a nice laugh for her to see a man in a dress lol. of course id have to bring ear plugs, god is her laugh ever ear peircing! youchola. hehe. abd her mom, my aunt, remembers it so who knows.

SamBeckettfann said:
yeah i was just saying that to jemellissa in a PM lol. i wish i had been exposed to Ql in my time becasue history was my worst subject i could have used it. *sniff*

i totally agreed like i said it might have helped me do better in history. makes me kinda wonder if my seven year old cousin would like it. Als comments would not be knew she watched stuff that uses words like boobs and stuff in fact she likes shows like venum ER on animal planet and stuff, plus it would be a nice laugh for her to see a man in a dress lol. of course id have to bring ear plugs, god is her laugh ever ear peircing! youchola. hehe. abd her mom, my aunt, remembers it so who knows.

I almost want to see it today while she's at school so I can refresh myself with it in detale. That way if she want to know somthing I can be more of use to her. I wounder if her history book would be helpful to have around for affterwords. ya I think that will help. Oh I hope I am not over doing this.:( it so hard to know what is cool and uncool these days. what was cool when I was a kid is no longer cool. what 10 years will do to ya.

You know, I'm a Theatre major in college and every summer I do a Children's show at the college for local kids. One of my professors adapts classic literature (Moby Dick, Around the World in 80 Days) to a children's theatre script. What I've learned from the two years I've done it is ithat n good children's shows, at least half of the stuff goes over the kid's heads and is there for the parents who are bringing them along. Kids need very little to keep their attention and by no means do they worry about picking up on every detail, as long as they can follow the action.

I think QL is perfect for children because it can fit this formula. There is enough action and comedy to keep kids engaged, while at the same time there is more mature comedy for adults, and all viewers are hit with the same important themes - adults are more aware of it while for children it will sink in on different levels.

Like some of you also stated, I have been watching QL since I was 5 years old when it first ran on NBC. I'd watch it with my mom and we would both have a great time - sometimes for the same reasons, other times obviously for others - like I thought it was neat that lights were coming out of Al's handlink...you know, stuff like that.

And as for QL giving kids a greater appreciation in history. Well, along with my theatre major, I'm majoring in History as well. Thanks Sam and Al ;-)

While I agree that younger children should be allowed to watch QL, it would be wise to avoid the darker episodes (BoWoF, Evil Leaper eps, Trilogy etc.).

Well, we wont need to worry about those eps (except for BoWoF) since those seasons arent out yet. I agree as well, the Evil Leapers and Trilogy would be too deep for beginners. It'd be best to stick with the whimsical eps first, then move on up.

Samantha Beckett

I think Quantum Leap is actually a perfect show to show children. While it does have some adult themes, it's generally watered down enough so that they could go over kids' heads. Of course, as pointed out above, there are some episodes that are definitely not for children ("Dreams," "Raped" and the "Trilogy" episodes come to mind), but each episode does seem to have a moral to it. When you think about it, it's also a good show in terms of the fact that it's got a politically correct message, and is a subtle way of teaching kids right from wrong in situations they have yet to deal with. And I'm sure the whole sci-fi aspect of the show would help to interest kids as well...