306 Miss Deep South

Miss Deep South

• Total voters
You are very welcome.

Episode Tidbit: We know the gummi bear handlink to have been introduced two episodes after this in The Great Spontini after Al kills the transparent one but if you watch closely during the Sam/Al conversation in this episode which takes place after Sam makes an idiot of poor Darlene by not being able to get his parasail open, Al is using the gummi bear link here. Just picked up on this by accident last time I watched but forgot to pay attention to the ones he uses in other scenes after. My guess is that he has the gummi bear handlink the entire episode.

You are very welcome.

Episode Tidbit: We know the gummi bear handlink to have been introduced two episodes after this in The Great Spontini after Al kills the transparent one but if you watch closely during the Sam/Al conversation in this episode which takes place after Sam makes an idiot of poor Darlene by not being able to get his parasail open, Al is using the gummi bear link here. Just picked up on this by accident last time I watched but forgot to pay attention to the ones he uses in other scenes after. My guess is that he has the gummi bear handlink the entire episode.

Yes I noticed this as well, my guess is that "The Great Spontini" was intended to be shown before this episode, but got pushed back for whatever reason or other. We have to remember that for the vast majority of the series, the episodes are interchangeable, this is just a continuity error that was made by someone who assumed that they always were :p

Yes I noticed this as well, my guess is that "The Great Spontini" was intended to be shown before this episode, but got pushed back for whatever reason or other. We have to remember that for the vast majority of the series, the episodes are interchangeable, this is just a continuity error that was made by someone who assumed that they always were :p

I don't remember where exactly I read this (for all I know, it may have even been in this same site), but it's a fact that "The Great Spontini" was originally supposed to be shown before "The Boogiem*n". I think it said something about it being delayed as to not interfere with the Halloween festivities that year.

If you notice, the very first episode to ever show the Gummi Bear was "The Boogiem*n" and it's introduced there without any explanation whatsoever. When re-watching the series, I thought it was kinda cool because that way I could picture Devil Al knowing the future of the handlink's design. Why "The Great Spontini" was pushed farther up until after "Black On White On Fire", I don't know, but it's interesting to know this. It can be clearly seen. Even the filming itself shows everything was pre-Boogiem*n.

Edit: Thinking about it a bit more, probably "The Great Spontini" was shown after "Black On White On Fire" to ease the pain and the tension from the previous episode a little bit. It was definitely needed and it was a clever move. Showing "Black On White On Fire" and immediately after that "Rebel Without A Clue" wouldn't have ever broken any tension and potential audiences would've been lost.

True, the gummi bear link was used by both Als in Boogym*n, my mind slipped on that for a moment (BTW you can totally tell that the devil's is fake by how it clicks like a plastic toy and doesn't light up or squeal).

The Great Spontini having been originally intended for before Boogym*n is new knowledge to me. I had considered that the episodes were not filmed in the order they were aired however the end teasers of all three episodes that proceed The Great Spontini were correctly correspondent to each other. Were they able to change the ending teasers?

True, the gummi bear link was used by both Als in Boogym*n, my mind slipped on that for a moment (BTW you can totally tell that the devil's is fake by how it clicks like a plastic toy and doesn't light up or squeal).

The Great Spontini having been originally intended for before Boogym*n is new knowledge to me. I had considered that the episodes were not filmed in the order they were aired however the end teasers of all three episodes that proceed The Great Spontini were correctly correspondent to each other. Were they able to change the ending teasers?

Yeah, I believe the editing was particularly easy because they were never actually released that way, meaning the order: "The Great Spontini", "The Boogiem*n", "Miss Deep South", etc. They just filmed TGS before The B episode, but never released it until after BOWOF. I don't think TGS had a teaser ending for the next episode until it was fully accommodated.

I like the order that they did show the episodes. The Boog*eman was creepy as Hell, followed by Miss Deep South which was hilarious and light-hearted, then Black on White on Fire which had a much more serious and violent tone, to the Great Spontini which was again more light-hearted. It's just a shame that they forgot about the continuity error.

Maybe we could just say that since Al had been having trouble with the brown handlink for quite some time, that he would occasionally switch it out for the Gummi Bear one, until he had to permanently make the change when he killed the brown one in The Great Spontini :p

Agreed that the order is perfect as it turned out. To have sandwiched the extremely heavy Black on White on Fire between two lighter hearted and humorous episodes, this one and The Great Spontini was brilliant. Boogym*n would have fit in well anywhere honestly.

Just wanted to chime in on the final scene, with Sam winning the pageant, crying and saying he wished Katie was there to see this - I think Sam's mind was merging with Darlene's. Darlene had very high hopes of being able to go to university and become a doctor, so Sam was probably feeling her relief at the hard work paying off and being able to follow her dreams. I think he said the Katie line just because he thought Katie would have loved the experience a lot more than he did :p

I just realised something...

Why would Peg hire Clint, considering the Hell he put her through when he made her pose naked during a photo shoot.

Let's remember that Peg was a former Miss Deep South, and that Al said naked pictures of contestants are a lot more valuable if the contestant wins. Also, when Sam grills Peg about disqualifying Connie but letting Clint stay, AND giving him back Connie's pictures, she clearly tries to avoid the question.

So I think Clint was blackmailing Peg. It would make perfect sense, plus when Peg fires Clint, he tells her she has too much to lose. He obviously still has Peg's photographs, having never sold them due to his ongoing position as pageant photographer, to be able to keep doing what he had been doing.

I like seeing Sam beat the living **** out of him and hanging him out the window even more now :)

I'm pretty sure it was clearly stated during the episode he was blackmailing her.

Nope, I posted immediately after watching the episode, no mention of blackmail. But it's pretty obvious, makes me wonder why I continually missed it :wacko

It's not bluntly stated, but the specified fact that Peg didn't win her pageant ("I would have won had one of my batons not failed to ignite") is a pretty clear indicator that Clint still had her photos since as Al pointed out the nude contestant photos were most valuable when they were of winners. So someone with motives like Clint certainly wouldn't sell nude photos of any less. It's also strongly hinted at in the scene where she fired him when he says "You've got too much to lose" with this condescending expression and tone that's saying "You know what I can do to you *****!"

Another thing that can be considered is if you pay close attention Sam and Connie end up destroying two roles of film, one could speculate that one roll was Peg's.

I'm pretty sure the only reason he'd ended up selling Connie's photos to some sleazy calendar in the original history was because she'd vanished and thus couldn't be blackmailed and she couldn't have taken out a lawsuit against him without coming out of hiding.

It's not bluntly stated, but the specified fact that Peg didn't win her pageant ("I would have won had one of my batons not failed to ignite") is a pretty clear indicator that Clint still had her photos since as Al pointed out the nude contestant photos were most valuable when they were of winners. So someone with motives like Clint certainly wouldn't sell nude photos of any less. It's also strongly hinted at in the scene where she fired him when he says "You've got too much to lose" with this condescending expression and tone that's saying "You know what I can do to you *****!"

Another thing that can be considered is if you pay close attention Sam and Connie end up destroying two roles of film, one could speculate that one roll was Peg's.

I'm pretty sure the only reason he'd ended up selling Connie's photos to some sleazy calendar in the original history was because she'd vanished and thus couldn't be blackmailed and she couldn't have taken out a lawsuit against him without coming out of hiding.

But when Peg introduced herself to Sam, she said she was Miss Deep South in 1946, as well as parroting off a string of other pageants she had won, with just that other exception because her batons failed to ignite. But that wasn't the Miss Deep South pageant.

Lovely to see you back here btw SBF :)

Edit: I think you're correct that because there were two rolls, the other roll was probably Peg's photos. He must have quickly retrieved it for when Peg grilled him about taking the photos of Connie, just to prove that he still had them and would take her down with him if he went down.

Crap, you're right, I'd forgotten she did specify being a Miss Deep South winner so it was a different pageant she'd been runner-up in due to her baton malfunction.
That actually would better justify the notion that Clint hadn't sold her photos because they were blackmail leverage so that he could continue working at the pageant.

And thank you Lightning McQueenie, if ever you see the words 'Sam Becket Fan never returned home' don't buy it. ;)
I'll never truly abandon this place.

An enjoyable episode this one. Coming off the back of such an excellent episode as The Boogiem*n is always gonna be tough, but Miss Deep South does a good job of providing much needed light relief along with a serious subject matter.

Sam as a woman has never been funnier than in this episode right here. The whole idea of the leap is funny in itself, and the situations Sam finds himself him elevate this episode a great deal. Most funny episodes of the show are just practically allowed to devote themselves to comedy (the season 5 gem, A Tale of Two Sweeties comes to mind), but this episode can't allow itself to do that due to Connie's story. I think it's great seeing how sweet and caring Sam is towards her. And the scene where he dangles Beaumont out of the window and beats him up are really satisfying.

I also think it's interesting how Sam has to actually try and do his best throughout the contest. He's not allowed to coast through due to having to make sure Darlene finishes 3rd. The fact that he ends up actually winning is a tad unbelievable, though. Lol.

Best scene? The Cuanto Le Gusta number with Sam and Al. Absolutely hilarious.

My rating. Good. A solid episode that strikes all the right notes.