Don’t be afraid of LA

Kirok

Project QL Intern
Don’t be afraid of LA

For my fellow Leapers, fear not of big bad LA!! :D I was just reading a thread that someone was worried about traffic and stuff. Believe me, it’s no different from any other major city. In fact, Atlanta is just about as bad, if not worse. I came from a small town in Indiana, and was afraid the first time I set foot out there… it’s not bad at all. Just remember they’re crazy drivers in any city you go to.

There’s lots of grocery stores and stuff to get your things if you want to "pack up" for a few days stay at the hotel. What my friends and I do for Beatlefest is we stock up at a local grocery store so we don’t have to leave. There are TONS of cool restaurants and classic Hollywood hang outs in the area the Con is taking place... :)

Just my two cents worth. But don’t let LA scare you off… it’ll be well worth the effort!!

Adios,

~Kirok

Maryse, Judy and I have plans to send people who ask for a good restaurant to Bob's Big Boy. FAB place (I'm sure Kirok will have been there if he is a Beatles fan) - old style American burger joint. Amazing food, vinyl booths, bus boys, the works. It's great!

And Kirok is right - don't be scared of LA. Just be prepared to spend a lot of time in traffic if your timing is off.

There are down sides to LA traffic, I've discovered. If you get motion sickness, DO NOT sit in the back seat of the car when it's being driven through fast-paced LA traffic. And make sure you take some kind of motion sickness medication beforehand.

EmmaCMF said:
Maryse, Judy and I have plans to send people who ask for a good restaurant to Bob's Big Boy. FAB place (I'm sure Kirok will have been there if he is a Beatles fan) - old style American burger joint. Amazing food, vinyl booths, bus boys, the works. It's great!

And Kirok is right - don't be scared of LA. Just be prepared to spend a lot of time in traffic if your timing is off.

Bob's Big Boy is real? Wow that resturant was in I Am Sam (which by the way Brad Silverman has a part in).

EmmaCMF said:
Oh, you should! And how cute is it that their slogan is "Bon's Big Boy makes you say Ohhh Boy"?

In that case, we should all walk in there (a big crowd of us anyway) and say, "Oh boy!" I wasn't interested in a burger joint, but this changes things. :)

EmmaCMF said:

Yup! Been there, but its been a while. I gave up on the film scene in LA a few years back, but one of my FAVORITE places to eat is in the Hills, a place called Canter's Deli. Its this all night diner, but they have the BEST sandwiches anywhere. They have this cool atmosphere, and if you're in there around 1 or 2 in the morning, you'll probably catch some stars in there getting carry out.

Anyone who wants to go with my wife and I during LB 09', I'll be making a few runs there throughout the con! :lol Gettin' hungry just thinking about it!!

~Kirok

I'm not sure which "hills" Fairfax is supposed to be in, but Canter's is certainly a favorite place for many celebrities to grab a bite. Never been there myself (I prefer food that is kosher, rather than "kosher style"), but I frequently shop down the block, and have seen the occasional recognizable face.

As for L.A. being scary, it's not nearly as scary as NYC. ;)

rivka said:
I'm not sure which "hills" Fairfax is supposed to be in, but Canter's is certainly a favorite place for many celebrities to grab a bite. Never been there myself (I prefer food that is kosher, rather than "kosher style"), but I frequently shop down the block, and have seen the occasional recognizable face.

As for L.A. being scary, it's not nearly as scary as NYC. ;)

:D I was always under the impression that Canters was in Beverly Hills. Guess not. Oh well. :D I always liked them...

NYC scary? I've always liked both cities. NYC has it's 'Compton' and 'Baldwin Park' just like any other city does.

So are you coming to the con, Rivka?

~Kirok

It's Los Angeles, if you want be specific about it. South of Hollywood, east of Beverly Hills. (It's right up the street a few blocks from where I used to work.) Either way, I second the recommendation -- yummy baked goods! Excellent addition to the "must do" list, Kirok!

come from germany

hello everybody!
i come from germany, and first i would say sorry about my english. i know that it is not the very best.:D
i´m thinking about to arived to LA 2009, but is were very expensive for me, because the tiket costs 450 Dollar, that the fly costs about 700 - 800 dollar.
Now my ask: how much does a room in a hotel cost? or is there another way to sleep?
Thank you for every answere.
Bye Yvonne