What if #2: Guest stars

TVNewsCam

Project QL Intern
Aug 24, 2006
Chicago
zealous.slasims.com
If additional episodes of Quantum Leap were being made today, who would you like to have seen guest star in any new episodes and why?

Please share your ideas, and you can include actors that were alive then and have since passed away, or became celebrities even some time after the show went off the air. Even actors for crossover ideas (that have resulted in fanfiction being written) are fine too - but one post per actor please!

Ernest Borgnine

I actually had the pleasure of meeting him in person a couple of times before he passed away in 2012. He was an amazing individual, and played a variety of roles. His Italian background, comedic timing, love for life, and robust personality would have made him a perfect choice to play the grandfather of Al Calavicci.

Ernest Borgnine

I actually had the pleasure of meeting him in person a couple of times before he passed away in 2012. He was an amazing individual, and played a variety of roles. His Italian background, comedic timing, love for life, and robust personality would have made him a perfect choice to play the grandfather of Al Calavicci.

Excellent idea sir! Grandpa Cal.

Arnold Schwartzeneggar(fmr. Republican governor of California)

~Steve B.

Dwight Schultz

Dwight is an amazingly talented actor, capable of pulling off a great many vocal impressions, accents, etc. He would have been great as a technician at the Project (he's a bit of an admitted nerd himself), or even as someone that Sam has to help through a Leap.

Terry O'Quinn

If you are a LOST fan, there really is no need to explain why he is such a phenomenal actor. But just in case you aren't, let me give a few tidbits about him: he portrayed the character of John Locke, who before the crash of Oceanic Flight 815, was a poor, angry man struggling to find his purpose in life. His own father conned him out of a kidney and abandoned him and ultimately pushed him out of an 8-story window, leaving him in a wheelchair for 4 years. After crashing on the island, he was miraculously healed. He became a man of faith who believed that everything happened for a reason; that is was destiny that brought all of them to the island to stay and protect it, which brought him into conflict with Jack (the man of science). Almost every episode that focused on Locke's character brought tears to my eyes. Without giving too much away, Terry O'Quinn essentially portrayed 2 different characters simultaneously on the show during the last 2 seasons. And the other role was the exact polar opposite: a Locke much more confident in his abilities and knowledge, and who wanted to leave the island at the expense of everyone else's lives. The epitome of pure evil. In the blink of an eye, Locke became a character everyone loved, to a character everyone loved to hate!

That level of intensity he portrayed on LOST inspired me to portray him as a very dark, possibly evil character on Quantum Leap: a dark "reflection" of the Bartender, perhaps... :bat

Michael Emerson

In keeping with my previous post, Michael Emerson portrayed the character of Benjamin Linus on LOST. He is also a phenomenal actor for pretty much the same reasons as Terry O'Quinn. He is quite capable of conveying many different types of emotions and feelings all at once. Oftentimes, both malicious and endearing in the same breath. When first introduced, it was hard to pinpoint his allegiance. Once his true nature was revealed, you began to hate him; then you began to love him; then you began to love to hate him; then you began to hate to love him. It is very rare to find such a compelling and complex character in a series. Ben constantly lied, abducted, and killed all because he wanted to be special. And yet, there were moments you couldn't help but cry your eyes out and feel sorry for him. The audience actually cared a great deal for him despite the horrible things he did, sometimes even because of the horrible things he did. Especially when you look back on the entire series and suddenly realize he was nothing but a pawn his entire life.

For non-Lost fans, he is also Mr. Finch on Person of Interest, the creator of the Machine. And from what I remember, he was also cast as a serial killer on an episode of Law & Order: SVU a long time ago. Michael Emerson has such diversity as an actor, he could play virtually any role on Quantum Leap and be believable.

One other note for Dwight Schultz that I should have added: If there is ever a new TV series or a movie - although nobody could ever really replace Dennis Wolfberg - Dwight could take on the role of Gooshie and do a tremendous job of honoring Dennis' portrayal through his own acting. Sans mustache and wild hair, he does have the appearance.