Sam's age

Becky

Project QL Intern
Apr 3, 2006
Manchester, UK
Having re-watched The Leap Home and working out that Sam must have been born in the early 50's, then if PQL is set between 96-2000, Sam Beckett is quite a bit older than I thought he was. The thing is that Scott Bakula was in his mid 30s when the show started and does not look old enough in the early QL's to play someone in their 40's, plus there are a few references throughout the show where Sam's age is a bit unclear, as if the writers forgot that Scott is supposed to be playing a character nearly 10 years older than himself.
I wondered why the writers did not change Sam's birthday to 1963 so that it would be more realistic (since QL is set in the future), however then I realised that they would have missed a lot of social issues in the 50's that made up the good storylines of QL.
Sam's timeline still irritates me though. Anyone else feel the same or am I just moaning about nothing? :D

I think Sam initially leaps in 1995, which would make him 42 (almost - I don't remember if it's canon that the leap date is May 1, 1995, and his birthday is August 8. If Sam is younger than 40, I don't think it would be plausible that he would have accomplished everything he did, such as earning 7 degrees and winning the Nobel Prize, as well as proposing, building, and almost perfecting the time-travel process. Plus, I think you're right, having the fifties to play with gave them many more social issues.
Does it bother me? No, especially when you look at SB himself. Does the guy look like he's 51? I put it down to good genes and good living (and, as John Becket says, lots of dairy products!).

Sam was born in 1953. So at the start of QL (which is estimated to be 1995), Sam was 42 when he Leaped.

Scott was born in 1954. So at the start of QL (which was in 1989), Scott was 35.

So about 7 years difference, I guess... I don't think he looked too young to be playing 40. For a while there, IMHO, he kinda stopped aging and could play 40 for several years in a row.

So, I've never really had a problem with believability.

Joy

I dunno....I'm 32 and people are always stunned, when I ask how old they think I am, I usually get an answer of anywhere from 24 - 28.

Word of advice - don't EVER ask ANYONE what their age is...

especially if it's someone of the opposite sex you're talking to.

Growing up (ages 8-12) people always thought I was a couple years older than I was, and I loved it. Now, I'm 19, and ive had ppl say i look like im 16...and i hate that, lol. I've had several ppl say "u'll like it when you're older", but right now it stinks.

But, I must adhere to my life's credo: "Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional" :lol

Samantha Beckett

I've always looked older than I am.

When I was 12 one person said he was sure I was 16 LOL.

And now I'm nearly 20 and people think I've been in my 20's for about 3 years already LOL!