The Last Gunfighter

• Total voters

alsplacebartender

Al's Place Bartender
Staff member
The Last Gunfighter
November 28, 1957

Coffin, Arizona

Welcome to the wild, wild West! Well, maybe not so wild as Sam leaps into an old gunfighter who is spending his retirement days acting out scenes from his youth when he supposedly cleaned up the town. But when his ex-partner returns to town claiming that he was the real hero, Sam has to find a way to keep from going to a showdown and keeping the respect of his grandson and daughter.

Teleplay by: Sam Rolfe and Chris Ruppenthal
Story by: Sam Rolfe
Directed by: Joe Napolitano

Rate and comment on this episode!

Last edited by a moderator:
This was an ok episode. 1957 seems a little late for the old west. Maybe the town that Sam leaps into is a little old fashioned. It's not quite like other westerns, but it's not bad.

This is one of Kristen's and my least favorites. The stoyline was unineresting, parcially unrealitisic and exaggerated in some areas. One of the biggest things being Vince's mention of '57 being WAY late for the wild west, the wild west was long before Sam's lifetime, in the 1800's. It's also unrealistic for a town to be soooo old fasion that they ignore the 20th centry. The confict between the two men was also unrealistic and dumb because there are a lot more sercious grudges to kill a man over than stolen hero's credit. The grandson was also unrealistic and very stupid and heartless. He cared more about his family's reputation and the concept of proving your worth and strenght before his grandfather's life. The guy's very old, too old to be paticipating in a shoot out, his reflexes have weakened as Sam mentioned once, so he could very easily be killed, yet the grandson took none of that into consiteration, not to mention that he was the only father figure in his life because his father died in some war, I forget exactly. He seemed real willing to give up his only father figure in the world for a hero's reputation. And nothing could have been stupider than when he tried to take on the guy in Sam's place. The grandfather stood a better chance even in his old age.
The one and only thing Kristen and I enjoy about this episode is when Sam got himself drunk and when he tried to practice his aim with a hangover. Priceless. If only they had stuck that scene in a better episode.

Sorry to those who like this episode, but I have been giving nothing but good reviews here so far and there is nothing wrong with giving bad reviews as well correct? After all it's a pratice of the first amendment of the constitution which gives us the right to free speech. And in the real world some people are paid for their opinions on movies and TV shows all the time, the good AND the bad opinions. They are called critics.

Last edited:
The town isn't the old west in 1957, it's a tourist trap of the type you'd find in the '50s, when people still loaded their kids into cars and drove cross-country on vacation. That's how the town makes its money, recreating the historic old west, and the shoot-out.

I agree that the grandson was whiny and selfish and rude. I was kind of hoping that a bullet would ricochet and wing him.

But the drunk scene and the hangover target practice scene, plus Sam in his black Western getup, make this episode watchable for me.

bluedana said:
The town isn't the old west in 1957, it's a tourist trap of the type you'd find in the '50s, .......

But the drunk scene and the hangover target practice scene, plus Sam in his black Western getup, make this episode watchable for me.

I was surprised that anyone didn't get that the town was "fake Wild West," not "REAL Wild West" Think Dodge City, Kansas or Deadwood, South Dakota (pre-gambling).

I also loved the scenes you mentioned above.

And I rewind just to see him walk out of the saloon in his gun-fighting formal wear. Tasty.

I don't know why,but i really liked this episode.I thought in some ways it was quite amusing. The story itself wasn't something to remember,but it was simple,entertaining,and fun. I agree the grand son wasn't very hmm...bright and that he was whiny, he was selfish and even rude,But i think you can understand him a bit. I'm sure no kid want his father(Or his father figure in this case) to become the town joke,especially after he and his family had some respect in his town.
Good episode in my opinion.it won't be in my top 20 or 30,but still...

isz said:
I'm sure no kid want his father(Or his father figure in this case) to become the town joke
Oh yeah I can understand, his father figure being dead wuld be loads better. |I Sorry I can not condone his behavior. Who cares about being the town joke, what other people think should not be that important all that should matter is that he looks at his grandfather as a hero no matter what.

Its kind of funny though, the one episode I don't like you are highly amused by and all the ones I like are adverage to you. interesting coincidence hehe.

Sam Beckett Fan said:
Oh yeah I can understand, his father figure being dead wuld be loads better.

C'mon. He didn't want him dead. He was sure his Grandpa would win. Good ole Grampa T also drilled the whole "death before dishonor" thing into the poor kid's brain.

LOVE the hangover scene.

I didn't say he wanted him dead I mean he was willing to risk his grandpa getting killed over a stupid reputation. Sorry I just don't have expirence in this area I never had a repuatation with people I just am who I want to be because that's what was drilled into my brain.

I just watched this again and I can't say that it's one of my favorites, but I did have some fun watching Dean Stockwell do some quick draw moves. (How is it that I didn't even notice that the first time around?) And John Anderson as Pat Knight was just terrific as the old-time gunslinger. Totally believable... even when the plot wasn't.

I also thought it was very funny when Al claims that he recognizes Dan Blocker driving a wagon through town--that guy didn't look like Hoss Cartwright at all. (I adored Hoss when I was little.)

Re the gun handling, check out this site:

http://www.ajc.com/hotjobs/content/hotjobs/careercenter/articles/2008/01/11/0113_lovecowboy.html

I'll bet they had fun the day this guy taught Scott and Dean how to draw a gun.

I didnt like this episode much there was a couple of things I did like in it was where Sam got majoly drunk and the hangover the next morning he had when Al was teaching him how to shoot poor Sam lol

I saw this yesterday for the first time. It was strange because the entire town was dressed as though they were from the gunfighter's glory days, yet it was set in 1957. I'm glad they mentioned their town's Centennial celebration - that cleared up the confusion.

I liked the whole focus on honesty and honor. Hated the sheriff - his character was pretty useless but annoying at the same time.

I thought the actor who played Pat (the other gunslinger) was pretty good. He was almost convincing. Still, the "I'll kill you for dishonoring me" goal was a little far-fetched.

I did like what they did with the peacemaking between the two gunmen. Consultant, lol.

Loved Al's Bonanza reference and his quick draw skills, lol. Man of many talents, our Al.

And I rewind just to see him walk out of the saloon in his gun-fighting formal wear. Tasty.
You and I both!

Just curious: is the guy behind the bar the same one who plays the bartender in the Mirror episode?

This is one of Kristen's and my least favorites. The stoyline was unineresting, parcially unrealitisic and exaggerated in some areas. One of the biggest things being Vince's mention of '57 being WAY late for the wild west, the wild west was long before Sam's lifetime, in the 1800's.
Laura Ingalls Wilder lived from 1867-1957. The real-life dramas she wrote about in the "Little House" books took place from the early 1870's to the late 1890's. Interesting that this episode is set in the year of LIW's death. hmmm...

If the character of Tyler Means is 82 years old in 1957, that does put him in the right time frame as a young man.

It's also unrealistic for a town to be soooo old fasion that they ignore the 20th centry.
I agree with this entirely. I assume you're talking about the sheriff's role though.

As for the costume ball going on at the town, I grew up in an area with a historical reenactment society. If you visit on the right weekends, everyone in that area dresses up in period costume even if they don't volunteer at the center. It's a celebration, which is what the episode portrayed.

Last edited:
One of my least liked episodes in the whole series, but I will sit through it just for the scene where Al tells Sam about Fifi "Boom-Boom" LaRue and teaches him how to quick-draw. Plus Al does make a couple of good cracks in this.

It's not my favorite episode either, but it is worth watching for the scenes mentioned above. Al was funny. And Sam with a hangover...He didn't get drunk very often that I can recall (the only other episode I remember Sam drinking too much was Leap Home part 2) but he sure paid the price when he did. :roflmao:poor guy. I liked the interaction between Scott and the boy too, Scott always had a good chemistry with the kids who were on the show.

I see this is not a popular episode but I enjoyed watching it.
I think that's mostly because I love the genre. I still watch those old-fashioned westerns during the breakfast at weekends.
Back to the episode,the plot was somehow predictable.I wish they would reveal more about Pat's intentions for coming back. Sure he was with the sister of killed brothers.What was it?Did she die or sth? How long they were together?
(Btw,I love that actor who played Pat,he was MacGyver's grandpa in one episode )
No matter how ruthless he might be,I found hard to believe he would kill the grandson. ( Then again,fooling around with a gun around a gunfighter could be pretty dangerous)
The episode has so many great moments like Al teaching Sam how to draw a gun, I bet those scenes brought back memories to Dean Stockwell while shooting them. I'm watching his previous tv works and boy he had lots of guest appearances in those western tv shows which NBC guy wanted to make in the episode.
and also Sam being a drunk.:roflmao:

I liked this episode. Except what happened at the end? He managed to out draw him right? So sam won the "shootout".

A real guilty pleasure this one.

In my heart of hearts, I don't think The Last Gunfighter is one of the very best QL episodes, but I love it all the same. I'm a sucker for cowboys and the old west, so this ep was always gonna appeal to me in that way. I also really love the Sam and Al interactions in this one. From seeing Al training Sam how to shoot to Al's incredulous reaction to Sam not being able to find his gun. Haha.

Pat Knight is a great character. That has to be said. A true bastion of how the old west used to be, still trying to carry on and live by its code in a world that has, quite simply put, evolved beyond it. The 'shootout'/'duel' at the end of the episode was also very cool. And Sam winning it due to faster reflexes was actually a really good, believable resolution.

Best scene? Without a doubt the scene in the bar, with Sam and Pat getting drunk. It is a hilarious scene with a great sucker punch at the end, where it's revealed that despite the two old friends patching it up, Pat has zero intention of calling the shootout off (Sam staggering home drunk afterwards is a close second for best scene, by the way).

My rating. Excellent. A purely biased rating, I know, but still a really good episode, in my honest opinion.

Best thing from this episode was the actor playing Pat Knight. He pulled off the old rugged gunslinger perfectly, voice and all!

I've been confused about the ending though. Did Sam REALLY outdraw Pat? I was hoping he wasn't going to pull a Marty McFly in BTF3!:)

I see this is not a popular episode but I enjoyed watching it.

(Btw,I love that actor who played Pat,he was MacGyver's grandpa in one episode )
No matter how ruthless he might be,I found hard to believe he would kill the grandson. ( Then again,fooling around with a gun around a gunfighter could be pretty dangerous)

Oh yeah the guy playing Knight was brilliant!