For Your Love

• Total voters

alsplacebartender

Al's Place Bartender
Staff member
Trilogy Part II
June 14, 1966

Potterville, Louisiana

In the second of a three-part saga, Sam again leaps into the life of Abigail Fuller...this time as her soon-to-be husband Will Kinman. Sam begins to fall for her himself, but a lynch mob led by Leta Aider may hang her if Sam doesn't find the runaway child Abigail was babysitting.

Written by: Deborah Pratt
Directed by: James Whitmore, Jr.

Rate and comment on the second chapter of this trilogy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Abigale was freaking annoying and i hated that Sam made love to her, especially once he becomes himself agian. thats not Sam's Charactor.

Sam's only human. I adored that it turned out the way that it did. The last things Sam was saying to Abilgale before was so sweet and sad, i was darn near weeping. I love the trillogy eps, Deborah Pratt is a genius.

Samantha Beckett

he ain't THAT human, remember in Honeymoon express when al was talking about how Diane was waiting to make love with her new husband and Sam kept saying that he cant becasue its not morally right to have sex with someone he did not love and know, for that matter.

SamBeckettfann said:
he ain't THAT human, remember in Honeymoon express when al was talking about how Diane was waiting to make love with her new husband and Sam kept saying that he cant becasue its not morally right to have sex with someone he did not love and know, for that matter.

But Cyd. You have ti remember, he did love Abigale. That's the difference between Honeymoon express and Trilogy Part 2. Then his love for her carries over to the third episode where he can't do anything about it

I love this one. and agree that he loved Abigail. The scene where he's falling apart at the mental hospital was incredible (the "I'm in trouble, Al" scene). I could buy the seeming inconsistency with his established sexual morality because he was obsessed with Abigail and both loved and lusted after her.

I didn't like how Sam told the mob to give him "five hours" and if they hadn't found the kid then he'd hand over Abigail... It just seemed so weird...

But otherwise I thought the episode was good.

naggindragon said:
I didn't like how Sam told the mob to give him "five hours" and if they hadn't found the kid then he'd hand over Abigail... It just seemed so weird...

But otherwise I thought the episode was good.

That was more than a bit of a risk, all right. I always wondered why NO ONE was prosecuted for nearly hanging Abigail. Even pointing a gun at someone is assault, after all. Never made much sense why Sam couldn't take her and get the heck out of Dodge until the kid was found, either.

I don't know why - but i really didn't like this episode.One thing i know for sure -it had nothing to do with the character of Abigail.

I love this episode.The love that Sam felt for Abigale was so moving that you could feel the intensity. What a powerful episode. Debra Pratt is a wonderful and compassionate writer whose words are so touching.

Al's Handlink said:
But Cyd. You have ti remember, he did love Abigale. That's the difference between Honeymoon express and Trilogy Part 2. Then his love for her carries over to the third episode where he can't do anything about it

This gave me the creeps, having Sam leap from the girl's father to her lover/fiancee.

The loss of Donna memories to the swiss cheese ether always bothers me, but this one most of all because I don't think Donna and Sam had children together. Yet, he has a love child. *shudders*

I thought this episode was one of the best examples of "mob mentality" I've ever seen on TV or in the movies. You could really feel the madness descending on the group and spurring them into doing the unthinkable.

Interesting that the lawyer came to her defense. Guess that was to set up Part III, but the character himself seemed to be honest enough and believed in the law.

i thought that this was a great part two of Trilogy.

The real feelings that Sam has for Abigail.

Great episode. Def. one of my favourite Quantum leap episodes.

I love this one. and agree that he loved Abigail. The scene where he's falling apart at the mental hospital was incredible (the "I'm in trouble, Al" scene). I could buy the seeming inconsistency with his established sexual morality because he was obsessed with Abigail and both loved and lusted after her.

very touching moment.

I always wondered why NO ONE was prosecuted for nearly hanging Abigail. Even pointing a gun at someone is assault, after all.

You have a good point there. Maybe Abigail and Will were just so glad that the ordeal was over, they dropped all charges, in order to get on with their lives. Or maybe they at least showed leniency on the boy's mother because of what she was going through and the fact that the boy's father helped to stop it...

Never made much sense why Sam couldn't take her and get the heck out of Dodge until the kid was found, either.

I expect that off-screen, the sheriff told Abigail and Will not to leave town. Besides, they had no reason to believe that things would escalate like they did...

I thought this was a very touching episode. I think at least part of their reasoning was that Sam couldn't stay in one place long enough to settle down with someone he loved, and he wanted a normal life. It made Sam more human to have him fall in love when he was leaping around.

I don't condone them having him sleep with Abagail, but I think he'd have stayed with her if he had been able to. He didn't sleep around indiscriminately or take advantage of the people he leaped into, and he didn't sleep with married women. I think part of that was to have the contrast with Al who would have slept with anything female. :roflmao:At least Sam had a sense of caring about Abagail; T.V. characters nowadays jump into bed with anyone and don't even have to like them. :b

That being said, it is fiction after all. Just sayin'. ;)

Last edited:
So here is where my opinion slightly changed when I watched the trilogy story for the second time last night. Abigail was not as bratty as I'd thought I remembered in this part. There was one selfish moment when she whined about her wedding being postponed for this missing child and Beau's response nailed it. Her somewhat childish behavior after that was acceptable as a love struck 21 year old.

The story was more believable here; little boy with a crush on the baby sitter gets upset that she's getting married and runs away. Very plausible but then it goes back to Stephen King with the whole "witch hunt" as Al put it. Once again assumptions were made solely based on the fact that Abigail is supposedly cursed with craziness. The fact however that these parents actually allowed her to babysit for them says to me that Lita Aider is mostly behind the curse rumors and she preaches to the rest of the town. This is also suggested by the fact that the lynch mob had seemed to disapprove of Lita taking a shot at Abigail with the rifle after they were told where to find the boy ALIVE.

I found the arrival of the leap, right in the middle of sex to be unique and something I am surprised didn't happen more often. In this case Will's emotions were almost in complete control of Sam right from the first moment to about halfway through the episode but in a typical situation the poor guy would have had a panic attack. I would have liked to see that. XD

My opinion of the fact that Sam had sex with Abigail has NOT changed, I still do not approve but I no longer completely fault him. Will got him started and being in the position he is in Sam is not only greatly lacking in that department but I'd imagine he isn't used to those urges at such a strong level. Will wasn't in charge the entire time however, he'd vanished the moment Sam touched her and he has admitted that he'd marry the right person only a couple of hours after meeting them, this says that through his extreme level of morals Sam is still prone to jumping blindly into love. So I do buy that he'd fallen for Abigail even if it was circumstantial which is certainly plausible and my personal belief which he also can not be faulted for, the heart doesn't consult you before it feels something, it's how he knew Abigail.

My disapproval here as opposed to Tamlyn in season four whom I adore, other than the fact I am not the biggest fan of Abigail in general is that Sam knew her as a ten year old child, was her father even technically. He had sex with with a woman he knew and somewhat fathered as a child, that's kind of gross. One might consider the same of Will minus the father part. He was seventeen, almost a legal adult when she was ten despite the acceptable age gap otherwise and knew her. Had he not known her it would be different. Still the circumstances surrounding Sam were worse.
Even Al did not approve. He looked genuinely shocked, bothered even to hear talk of wanting so badly to touch and hold a woman coming from Sam Beckett's mouth and though he knows Sam to be a prude obviously, I'm suddenly wondering if that's because he was thinking of Donna. His expression did suggest that he was hurting on her behalf.
Granted that this saga seemed to be written with Donna in The Leap Back having been scrapped considering Pratt's feelings about it, story wise it was too late to take it back. Perhaps among a few other instances this would have been an appropriate time for her to be revealed to Sam. He'd have forgotten again once he leaped I assume so no lasting results would come of it. The only reason Al, being the way he is, would be so concerned about the high level of feelings that were there for this woman as opposed to other situations he'd teased Sam about such as Diane McBride is how this was the situation which was most threatening to his forgotten commitment to Donna. Even Tamlyn was reasonable because she knew who Sam was, something that of course would have a powerful effect on him after 4 freaking years of having to hide himself.

Then there's that whole 'like a magic flash, we just fit" thing, come on, really? I'm a sucker for mush like that usually but I just did not buy that! It's ridiculous. She doesn't even know who the hell Sam is and she felt like they fit?
Shame the sex scene wasn't at least hot like Lord of Illusions or Passion to Kill hot! hehe.

Honestly though, and I believe I've brought this up before, my headcanon is that Sammy-Jo was intended to happen. That Sam was meant to save Abigail not only because she didn't deserve the s*** she'd gone through but also so that he could conceive the child who is implied to be the key to getting him home and get her on the project. Why with Abigail when it could have been with someone cooler like Tamlyn I don't know. Al actually once said sometime at the very beginning that the only one who could figure out how to get Sam home is Sam so perhaps he needed to send the project the next best thing, part of himself with the same mind that created the project.

Overall this episode has come a long way from when I couldn't stand the thought of it even though I am still nowhere near a Sabigail shipper.

Stay tuned for my final Trilogy review in the part 3 thread.

Last edited:
What I'm thinking is in the episode the leap back when Sam is reunited with Donna he asks her have I ever done anything you weren't happy about(maybe not in those exact words but hopefully you know which part I'm talking about) and Donna says never, well I wonder if Donna knows that Sam has not been faithful, has been with Abigail not as Will but as himself and the feelings he has for Abigail and does Donna know that sammyjo is Sams child?
Overall this is one of my favorate episodes very well done!!

What I'm thinking is in the episode the leap back when Sam is reunited with Donna he asks her have I ever done anything you weren't happy about(maybe not in those exact words but hopefully you know which part I'm talking about) and Donna says never, well I wonder if Donna knows that Sam has not been faithful, has been with Abigail not as Will but as himself and the feelings he has for Abigail and does Donna know that sammyjo is Sams child?
Overall this is one of my favorate episodes very well done!!

The novel 'Knights of the Morningstar' explores this and in addition, touches on Donna's response to Tamyln ('Temptation Eyes'), it's not a canon answer but in my opinion it's a very well characterized suggestion. I highly recommend it. It appeals well to fans of the Sam/Donna relationship though if you don't like the Evil Leapers that could be a deal breaker. They play a large role in the leap.

Great episode except there's one thing I noticed. Will has a stutter. Sam did too for the majority of the episode, but at the end when he's talking to the mob he doesn't stutter. I'm assuming that the majority of people know Will, so wouldn't they be surprised by the fact that he wasn't stuttering?

The Morality Debate: Sam, Abigail, and Will

I know there have always been debates over this particular episode, mostly stemming from the Sam/Abigail/Will triangle. Many viewers have said that, while the love story is heartbreaking and well-written, at the same time, it seemed wildly inappropriate and completely out of character for Sam.

While it is true that, unlike in Temptation Eyes where Tamlin actually knows who Sam really is, Abigail is unaware that Sam and Will have switched places, I would argue that Abigail actually could sense that there was some kind of physical/spiritual difference between the Will she has always known and the "Will" who is present in the episode. Not only does she comment that she felt sleeping with Will somehow felt wrong until Sam leaped in, wherein she replies that, "everything just fit," but she also seems to still sense his presence in the next episode, "The Last Door" when Sam is in the guise of Larry Stanton. When they meet again in the police station for the first time in 12 years, the way she looks at him and her reactions leave no question that she looked into his eyes and sensed something...something familiar that she only associated with her 'new' feelings towards Will after they slept together the first time, before Sam initially leapt in.

While it is true that it wasn't entirely appropriate for Sam to give in in this way, knowing full well that Abigail had no idea it wasn't Will she was with, I must take issue with some viewers who think he has done this kind of thing before. He absolutely, with the exception of Temptation Eyes, has never slept with someone on a leap. Kissing, cuddling, necking, and even some heavy petting - yes. I won't deny that. However, everything he did with these people was in service of the leap and the mission and he never went farther than was necessary. Was he attracted to some of the women? Of course. I would even venture to say, upon a recent series re-watch, that Sam is actually highly attracted to tough, independent, and even somewhat abrasive women. He seems to like women who challenge him and drive him a little crazy. I find that very much in his character for the fact that it was likely very hard for Sam to find dateable women that could challenge him on an intellectual and emotional level. It's not always easy being a genius.

Temptation Eyes I can give a pass on because Tamlin knew who Sam really was, and honestly, after four f-ing years of have to hide himself, lie, be someone else and have absolutely no one to talk to or understand his situation other that Al, I totally understand him wanting to lose himself in her a bit because, for once, he could finally be himself. He didn't have to hide. He could open up to her and be vulnerable in a way he hadn't been able to in a very long time.

The situation with Abigail was different, though. I have to admit, I've never really liked Donna. Scott Bakula has chemistry with virtually everyone I've seen him with on screen. The man could make a paper sack blush. However, the actress who played Donna was just not one of those people. Even in The Leap Back, you could tell that Scott was giving it his all to show how much he loved Donna, but I just didn't feel the reciprocation. They just suck all the chemistry out of every scene they are in together. That, and the fact that she was willing to leave Al to die in 1945, just made me lose serious respect for her. I respected her for the fact that she so many sacrifices for Sam while he was lost to her, but honestly? If they had never brought her onto the show at all, I don't think it would have made an ounce of difference. I can accept that Donna was his first meaningful, adult relationship, and therefore, he was determined to make things right with her, as he would for anyone. I just don't think that helping her salvage her relationship with her father was enough to make her not leave him at the altar. I just don't buy it.

The person you marry isn't always the person you were meant to be with. Never was that more apparent than in this trilogy. I get that it seems creepy because Sam initially leaped into Abigail's father, but I feel like his instant connection with Abigail, even in childhood, was fatherly affection to a point, but also more than that. When one meets one's soulmate, you can't always count on the timing to be perfect. I believe that he sensed there was some kind of powerful connection between them as Clayton Fuller, but initially chalked it up to fatherly love. I don't think Sam even fully understood it. When he leaped into will, however, that's when everything finally clicked into place. Yes, he was overrun by Will's emotions at first, but as the episode wore on, his aching need for her became less an affectation of Will and much more Sam's own desires. When he touched her that night, all of Will was gone. When he went to her that night, it wasn't Will driving him. It was his own desire for Abigail. The fact that he still felt that connection with her in the third part of the Trilogy speaks volumes to that point. Sam was destined to be with Abigail. Destined to give her a child. It breaks my heart to think that he will never know her and her mother will never know the truth.

I know she remarried and moved to Chicago and had a happy life, but some part of me still believes that Abigail is searching for a missing part of herself that she may never find - her soulmate, Sam Beckett.

I also believe, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that the reason Will left before they made it down the aisle, is because he absolutely Sammie Jo was not his child. He might not have understood what actually happened and it might only be an inner feeling that something just wasn't right, but I am sure he left for this reason.

If the reboot rumors are true, then aside from bringing Sam home -PLEASE!- I desperately need this storyline to be addressed. Sam needs to see Abigail and Sammie Jo again. The truth needs to come out so that everyone can find some peace.

The person you marry isn't always the person you were meant to be with. Never was that more apparent than in this trilogy. I get that it seems creepy because Sam initially leaped into Abigail's father, but I feel like his instant connection with Abigail, even in childhood, was fatherly affection to a point, but also more than that. When one meets one's soulmate, you can't always count on the timing to be perfect. I believe that he sensed there was some kind of powerful connection between them as Clayton Fuller, but initially chalked it up to fatherly love.

I don't believe Donna is Sam's soulmate either and her desire to leave Al to die just served to illustrate that but the description of this "connection" to child Abigail is not bad timing, that's pedophilia. Sam is not a pedophile and how can someone who has no idea who he is be his soulmate? That seems absurd to me.

Your argument that Abigail is Sam's soulmate seems to be based heavily on how she was able to sense a difference in him from Will but being able to sense a certain presence has nothing to do with emotional or intimate connections.

Although rare, there are a few other adults who were able to sense the difference in Sam's presence without the influence of alcohol or mental illness.
Diane McBride's ex-husband in 'Honeymoon Express', the grandfather in 'Freedom', the fortune teller in 'Leaping in Without a Net', and the girlfriend in 'Hurricane' all unwittingly established noticing a difference about his host. In most of these cases, it was in his eyes.

The other basis of this argument is a personal assessment of Sam's preference for strong independent women who challenge him on an emotional and intellectual level but I don't believe that describes Abigail at all for most of the trilogy. She's not intellectual and was very clingy with Clayton and then Will until the final part.

Sam encountering a woman with abilities that are believed to be fiction that allow her to see his true form or another leaper who happens to be a woman (both of which were emotional and intellectual challenges and one of them was independent for the entire time he knew her) is my idea of fate.
As I said I can buy into Sammie-Jo being fate but that doesn't mean Abigail has to be. No, not all spouses are soul mates but neither are all co-parents.

I know she remarried and moved to Chicago and had a happy life, but some part of me still believes that Abigail is searching for a missing part of herself that she may never find - her soulmate, Sam Beckett.

How is she missing a part of herself in a happy marriage?