Blue stars

Rowan

Project QL Intern
Apr 21, 2006
Hi.. new here, long time fan enjoying re-runs in the UK. I don't know if this is the right sort of question for here as it's more about Bellisario than Quantum Leap specifically, but googling for an answer hasn't helped!

I've noticed that very occasionally, Al wears a badge that looks like a blue five-pointed star (it appears in the opening credits of the current episodes being shown. 'Trilogy'). It looks almost identical to a badge that Michael Archangel can be seen wearing in Airwolf. Does anyone know what it's significance is, or where might be a good place to go to find out?:cheers

I'm not sure, Rowan. I would have to go and look at the episode and know which one that you are talking about.

I know that you said that you Googled it, however, in what format did you Google it? Since Al is in the Navy, perhaps a Naval Five Pointed Blue Star or maybe it has something to do with being an Admiral? I don't know. I'm not in any way, shape or form an insider on the military.

Perhaps one of the Al-coholics would know which star you are asking about.

Ladies?

MJ

Is that the same badge he wears in "Star-Crossed"? I've always thought the badge was from Project Starbright....

Interesting that it's similar to a badge from Airwolf, 'cause wasn't Don or Deborah involved in that show?

Joy

tina_als_girl said:
Is that the same badge he wears in "Star-Crossed"? I've always thought the badge was from Project Starbright....

Interesting that it's similar to a badge from Airwolf, 'cause wasn't Don or Deborah involved in that show?

Joy

Don Bellisario is responsible for both shows. I'm not sure if its from Star-crossed, it only really occurred to me today because I recently watched an Airwolf rerun and noticed the characters wearing them. All I know is that Al wears one in the season 5 credits, at least for Trilogy.

I wondered if they had some sort of religious connotation.

alsplacebartender said:
Is it the same blue star used in the awards at the bottom of this page? :hmm

ooh! I hadn't noticed those (keep my broswer window small) - yes, I think that's it. The star shape is on a blue background, and in quantum leap Al wears one where the star shape itself is illuminated.

A picture of the blue star from Quantum Leap:

ql008.jpg

Maybe it was supposed to be a futureistic representation of his Admiral Status. They occcasionally made references to how the future changed. Like in The Leap Back, When Sam came up with the idea of sending the letter to Gooshie,

Sam: "We mail Doc Crosnof a letter right, with say... a hundred bucks."
Al: For the stamp."
Sam: No, no, no, no, no,. It's 1945. A hundren dollars will do very nicely

And the back of the Almobile in Genesis! One has to pause the picture and step it frame by frame to see the star on the back window.

Edit: Found it!

Al_Car3.JPG

Last edited:
tina_als_girl said:
Ah, yes, that'd be the same one he wears in "Star-Crossed". Yeah, I've always assumed it was from Project Starbright, but who knows.

Do you know of any pics that show the blue star from Airwolf?

Joy

Well, I've been googling like mad but of course all the pics tend to be of Stringfellow Hawke.

I'm pretty certain that Deborah Pratt (who spent two seasons as Archangel's assistant) also wore one but can't find photos of her anywhere. And there was an episode in which Archangel was kidnapped where they had some significance.:nut