Birthday Leaps

LadyKayoss

Project QL Intern
Jan 26, 2006
Michigan
So I was bored today and out of curiosity, I began to look through the different QL episodes to see which ones were closest to my birthday to see if there was some kind of pattern. I'm curious (a dangerous state of mind for me), has anyone else done this? And what are the results, if your interested in sharing?

The episode closest to my actual date of birth is Private Dancer, on October 6, 1979 (only off by two days!) Paying attention to month and day rather than year, I found that Jimmy is on the correct day, though it's off by fifteen years (and for some odd reason, I never picked up on the fact that it was on my birthday. Clearly, my powers of observation are waning with age.) The other closest episodes are Future Boy, also on October 6, and Shock Theater, on October 3rd.

Oddly, these are some of my favorite episodes... Coincidence? :)

Yeah, I've done it!

Nothing on the actual day - Runaway is the 4th July, so four days early in terms of day and month. As for year, the only July one in '57 is "So help me God", which is right at the end of the month on 29th.

I have a brilliant calendar from 1997 which lists every leap on the actual day, so if anyone wants a quick reference to their special day - just ask!

Of course, that is one of the perks of being a writer - I can have Sam leap on my birthday, my kids birthdays, any darn day I want!

Hmm..."Heart Of a Champion" is set on July 23, 1955, which is only a day off from my birthday, July 24th. Of course it's way off in terms of years as I was born in '82, in which case the closest leap to my actual birthday is "Another Mother," which is September 30, 1981. It narrowly beats out "Permanent Wave" by just a month.

And speaking of birthdays, has anyone else ever noticed that "One Strobe Over the Line" takes place on Al's birthday, June 15th? Too bad we don't hear a mention of it, but that's probably because Bellisario didn't make it up yet.

EDIT: Completely forgot about "Roberto!" which is in fact the closest to my birthday.

Last edited:
Chronologically the two leaps closes to my 1/20/69 birthday are "Liberation" which takes place on 10/16/68 and "MIA" which takes place on 4/1/69. Neither of them are particular favorites of mine.

As far as just the month/date there are only three January leaps - "Lee Harvey Oswald" on January 6, 1959; "The Wrong Stuff" on January 24, 1964; and "Roberto" on January 27, 1982. I like all three fairly well although they don't rank among my favorites by a long shot. Guess January wasn't a very good month for leaps.

the closest one to my b-day was the leap home on November 26, cuz my mom ate a lot of thanksgiving food and then a few days later gave birth on the 30th hehe. thats how she puts it anyway. there are no leaps on the actual day of my b-day though.

LadyKayoss said:
Paying attention to month and day rather than year, I found that Jimmy is on the correct day, though it's off by fifteen years (and for some odd reason, I never picked up on the fact that it was on my birthday. Clearly, my powers of observation are waning with age.)

Well, I figured out why I never picked up on Jimmy being on my birthday - it's not. Either I wrote the day down incorrectly and forgot the 1, or it's wrong in the Al's Place episode guide, which is where I was looking.

Oh, well. Still the same month, still a good episode. And LHO actually had a close Leap to my birthday, too, I just realized.