BBC defends disabled presenter

The BBC has defended disabled presenter Cerrie Burnell after some parents claimed that she is "scaring" their children.

CBeebies controller Michael Carrington described Burnell, who was born with one arm, as "warm and natural", adding that her disability should not be an issue.

"She was appointed because she was the best person for the job. We see no reason for her to try to hide her disability and are surprised that in 2009 this should even be raised as an issue," said a BBC spokesperson.

Burnell revealed that she hopes her disability can be used to raise awareness. "It can only be a good thing that parents are using me as a chance to talk disability with their children," she said.

"It just goes to show how important it is to have positive disabled role models on CBeebies and television in general."

Sourced Digital Spy: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/a147613/bbc-defends-disabled-presenter.html

Hate some people. Why the hell did some parents take upon themselves to make a complaint? Jerks! :censored :censored

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi i couldnt agree with you more.
I have two children aged 2 and 5 who watch cbeeies at some point most days and not once have they commented on her arm, it makes no difference to them.

I have just come home from a friends house where we was talking about the fact that some parents had complained and we couldnt understand what the problem is, I dont understand how anyone can see this as a bad thing to have a disabled person as a role model.

All the children in our group have no problem with this, so i find it sad that some parents feel the need to complain.
In my experience most childern under the age of 5 are very open minded and dont see colour, age or disabilty, just a shame the parents are not the same!

I completely agree as well.

Instead of complaining about it the parents could really use the fact that she's different to teach their kids about disabilities among other things.

I can't believe some people. I can't really say anything that hasn't been said, but I'd like it to be known that I think that this is pathetic. I just don't see why people would think it is an issue. They must be either braindead or just plain rotten (or both, seeing as those two factors of ignorance may be linked). I really hate stuff like this, it winds me up something wicked.