T-shirts?

alsplacebartender said:
Almost 100% positive on a yes answer, and they'll be available for pre-order. We'll probably have a white t-shirt version as well. And maybe even a polo version. :D
I'll take one of each, please. :nut

Excellent! Thanks, Al. :)

We were thinking, having the shirts available for pre-order (you would pick them up at the con) would give us a good indication of how many to order, and in what sizes.

Here's a question: do you guys prefer regular t-shirts? Or would a nice polo shirt (with collar) appeal to you? I had a couple of Star Trek polos that I thought were really sharp. I don't really wear fan-type T's out in public, but I had no problems with wearing the polos to the mall.

How about a consolation T-shirt for the Cinderellas out here that can't go?

"I didn't make it to the con :banghead" or "I got stuck in the Waiting Room" or some such.

All profit to go to making the con rock for the lucky ones. At least we could feel we were contributing and sharing in some small way.

Extra large, black, T shirt or Polo for me, please.

We might be able to put together a couple of different kinds of supporting memberships -- one level where you would get a t-shirt OR a program book after the con, and a higher one where you'd get both items. Sort of like those supporting gifts when you become a member of PBS! :)

How's that sound to you guys who can't attend?

That's it! They're funded by government and private grants. Several times a year they have membership drives. You sign up for a particular level of membership. The higher the level, the more "free" stuff you get. Say for Level A you get a CD. Level B, you get a CD and a DVD. Level C, you get both items plus a book.

Pbs

icon1.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaper1
Sorry, Carol, excuse the ignorance of this crazy Brit, but "PBS"?
What is PBS?

Public Broadcasting Service - it's a television station in the U.S. that caters to children and learning programs for the most part.
Don't forget that this is the place where most American's get to see things from BBC (old shows, news reports, etc.)

It also supports the arts. It has cooking programs and other "how to" type of shows (gardening and home repair to name but two) and provides another view from from what one usually gets from network programming. Lot's of community things as well.

PBS is member supported and as Carol pointed out...there are levels of membership with certain "premiums" available at the various levels.

(can you tell I'm a supporter of PBS?)

Last edited:
I say we go for both the T-shirt style and the polo style, if possible; it gives us more to choose from. :D And I can forget about packing and just buy my entire wardrobe at the con!

CarolD said:
Level B, you get a CD and a DVD.

There's a thought... what about a con DVD, once it's over with? I love watching the old footage from previous cons, and it would be great to have something like this available, both for those who want to attend and can't, and for the people who'd love to be able to relive the con.

Yeah, I figured it would still be too early to worry about such a thing, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to let you know that some people would like something like that (I would give a lot for a DVD of Scott at the 40th anniversary con... *sigh*)

Since it is the 20th anniversary (gosh I feel old) do you think there is a chance NBC or whoever will re-release official licensed merchandise?

I would absolutely love a Polo! I would probably buy as many as you had colors. I bet I would buy a black tee too. That logo looks so good on black.

I'm going to drive myself broke *laughs*. Good thing it's two years out!

Maryse, a committee member and our graphic designer, made up a first run batch of t-shirts for a recent holiday to Los Angeles. We wore them around Universal, and so many people did a double take, and three tour guides asked for info and said that they'd attend, which is pretty cool! The t-shirts looked great, and when we eventually put them up for sale, I'm sure you're all going to love them.

EmmaCMF said:
No, none of them did; I think a lot of the tour guides that were on the backlot during filming have probably moved on to other things now.

I figured as much; I was just curious since it was the tour guides that seemed to show the most interest.

And this just goes to show that shirts really are a great way to advertise things.

Leap Back Ambassadors?

Hey...

What about having us as Con Ambassadors...sort of walking billboards.

As you said...the committee wore them around and garnered interest in the Con...You MIGHT want to produce a PRE-CON T-shirt...

"I'll be Leaping in at the LEAPBACK CON 2009 in LA...will you?" and then have specifics (like webpage and stuff on the back.) I know I'D buy that (NOW even) and wear it. It would be sure to get a LOT of interest. AND there would be something that people could jot down from the shirt.

Just an idea.

I read through the thread carefully. What I read indicated

1. There would be t-shirts (several styles) available for pre-order BUT a person would pick them up AT the convention.

2. There might be other T-shirts available for those unable to attend the Con...but again, this sounds like an AFTER the con fact...

3. There were t-shirts made up for the committee only that have been worn already. The part indicated ONLY that the committee has them. Indeed, although the statement was made that there MIGHT be some items available BEFORE the convention...it would be some time before they would be available. That statement was rather vague as to WHAT items might be available.

SO...based on reading through the thread, my suggestion still has not been addressed. What I was suggesting was to have a con-ambassador t-shirt available at the point when ticket sales will start (which on another thread is indicated to be sometime this spring.)

This would NOT be the same t-shirt that would be the official con attendee t-shirt (to be picked up at the Con) nor the other t-shirt which a non-attendee might be able to purchase. This would be an additional one that ADVERTISES the CON and would be available to those who would like to help out making the Con sucessful in a tangible fashion. The purpose of this type of t-shirt would be would like to do this. It's purpose would be specifically to garner interest in the convention and increase ticket sales.

I realize that this might be a more expensive shirt (e.g. small run of t-shirts cause not everyone would be interested in wearing one.) However, I know I'd be one that would be willing to wear one of these throughout the next couple of years to help get the word out. It certainly is an idea that might be helpful to selling this convention.

Last edited:
Yup, the t-shirts really get noticed!

Once we get things sorted with the hotel and bank, then we will hopefully be producing some items before the con. It's going to be a while, though.

Nowhere in that sentence does it say that those items will be available for pick up at the con. Ideas have been evolving since this thread first started, particularly amongst the committee members, and we haven't posted every development and thought here because it'd look like the committee forum, which is already on a horrendous number of pages because Carol and I tend to get a little carried away.

I didn't feel it necessary to list what items would be available before the con, so yes, I was deliberately vague, as we haven't decided yet. We are still more than 2 years away, and we can't produce any items until we have gone through the process of registering non-for-profit and opening a bank account, both of which are going to take a little while longer.

But, as you seem to be interested, the items we'll produce will probably be a journal for people to use in planning their trip to the convention, and a couple of different styles of t-shirt (for advertising the convention). We will probably be making these through Cafepress, which means we don't have to worry about set up fees, or storing bulky items; people can just order whatever they like directly from our Cafepress shop. The garments from Cafepress are very reasonably priced, usually less than $20.

The t-shirts that Maryse made up were a Christmas present and a trial run all wrapped up in one neat, gorgeous package, which is why they have not been put on general sale (as of yet).

Thank you once again for your continued interest and support.

Last edited:
Apologies

We were thinking, having the shirts available for pre-order (you would pick them up at the con) would give us a good indication of how many to order, and in what sizes.
No...but this one did. As I indicated. I read through the entire thread. Nowhere after this (which was the only one that indicated an actual WHEN for receipt) was it mentioned. I'm sorry if I upset anyone. I was really just trying to put my money (which at present is limited) where my mouth was to support the con in anyway I can. It was not intended to be a criticism. I simply felt my concern was not being addressed...and as far as I understand...this IS the way we are supposed to voice our concerns.

I just won't say anything more. Sorry again. I did not mean to offend.

Last edited:
That post came from relatively early on in the thread, and ideas have been bubbling over since then, especially as Cafepress makes offering Con items much simpler and, most importantly, cheaper!

You didn't offend at all. I just wanted to be sure that things were clear, as we seemed to be having a communication problem. Your ideas and enthusiasm are appreciated, I assure you.

The only problem with forums like this is that old information that is no longer relevant is still available, but, short of deleting old threads, there is no solution to that.

EmmaCMF said:
The only problem with forums like this is that old information that is no longer relevant is still available, but, short of deleting old threads, there is no solution to that.

I beg to differ with you Emma.

The poster may go back back to their ORIGINAL post and EDIT their post so that it can display the correct information and then even refer back to it. That's one way.

The other way is to just repost and clarify things that have happened, which is what Helen did and I didn't see a problem with what she did. I thought she did a good job of it, especially since she had a question that hadn't been answered.

I'm sure that everyone here would like to go to the convention. Some people do have money factors that they are concerned with and want to contribute what they can - or get what they can before, during and even after.

What's wrong with going in and making sure that everyone has the updated version of everything?

I know that I would appreciate it especially when there are times when I come into the forum and don't have time to read through every post - which would mean that I would have to read through possibly 24 - 50 posts.

Thanks.