Mathematics

Sam's Crow

Project QL Intern
Jun 12, 2008
Liverpool, England
Well we have threads for foreign languages, why can't we have one for mathematics? This is pretty much a thread about anything to do with maths.

Ready... Set... Go!

By the way, sorry I've been offline for so long.:cry

Sam's Crow said:
Well we have threads for foreign languages, why can't we have one for mathematics? This is pretty much a thread about anything to do with maths.

Ready... Set... Go!

By the way, sorry I've been offline for so long.:cry

That's alright. The first Round Robin was finished, so I hope you can contribute to the second one.

As for mathematics, I can't really think of anything. The only smart mathematical theory I know is the Quatratic Formula:

-B +/- the square root of B(squared) - 4AC divided by 2A.

cool I'm in. I'm rusty but I used to be quite good... back when I was trying to become an engineer ;)

Oh yeah, I'm part of this "Maths Challenge" thing in school. I might get put on the "Maths Team" and compete against other schools in Mathematics. Cool huh?

Sam's Crow said:
Oh yeah, I'm part of this "Maths Challenge" thing in school. I might get put on the "Maths Team" and compete against other schools in Mathematics. Cool huh?

Very cool. :hurray:
I did a competition for my final assesment in math... well I only had to do the first round and after passing it and writing my paper about it, I quit the competition for time reasons. So I never found out how far I would have gotten.

So what shall we talk about?

How do people feel about the square root of -1 not being defined?

When I took algebra, we always made the square root of -1 "i". In that situation, the square root of a number such as -16 would equal 4(i), or something to that effect. Since there's no way to solve for a negative square root, I'd say it would be pretty hard to define.

8o

Sorry,
it's the oposite.

i square is -1
but the square root of -1 will remain undefined.

Which is a trap I stepped into with much gusto over the years, :)
The things you can prove with that mistake, it's hillarious.

Luckily, I never had to try and prove anything with that mistake, or else I would probably have learned that lesson like you did. :|

Errowyn said:
I remember the rule of -1. I flunked math both in High School and College...along with half the class.

I had really good, motivational teachers most of the time, that makes all the difference.:)

:lol:lol:lol

That is hilarious. To be honest, I would have no idea how to solve that. Nice save; you did answer the question correctly. Was it that on a test?

How sad I know the answer.

x=5cm

Formula is
x(squared) = a(squared) + b(squared)
x(squared) = (4x4) + (3x3)
x(squared) = 16 + 9
x(squared) = 25
x = square root of 25
x= 5

i may even remember the the formula for non-right angles if I concentrate, how sad is that? *L*

something like:
c²= a² - 2ab COS(α) + b²

probably wrong though, so someone please correct me :) .
In any case the Cos of 90 degrees is zero, that's
why it simplifies to c² = a² + b²

ah :lol Ok.
*smiles and nods too, pretending she knows what she's doing*

I have this friend who is a Maths GENIUS. And I don't just mean she's really clever/ good at Maths, she's an actual genius (though of course nowhere near Sam's level :b).

purity.png

Sadly, I don't even know what the subject of physics is...

But I must say, math must be more important than school children think when they moan "why do I have to take this? I'll never use algebra."

ohboy said:
Sadly, I don't even know what the subject of physics is...
What do you mean?

maths is just such an underlying foundation of everything, that sometimes it's really hard to see its application. Even if it's right in front of you. *L* it just describes the way life works. :)

Do you know this one?

How does a Mathematician catch a lion?

He builds a cage around himself and defines the inside as the outside. Done.

Sorry if I was unclear. I mean that I don't understand what Physics focuses on. I know that the focus of biology is the study of living organisms, psychology is the study of the mind, but I don't know what physics studies.

Pretty much the underlying mechanics of everything.

Why things stay as they are why thing interact as they do, fields (gravity... although some say that's particles, magnetic fields, electric fields) Electricity, Thermal behavior, sounds, light (and other electromagnetic waves), nuclear phisics... that's decay rates and types of radiation and so on, quantum physics, that's how the smallest particles hold together and interact. Up to astrophyscis.
it's not a proper formal list, here's one:
http://physics.about.com/od/physics101thebasics/f/FieldsPhysics.htm

it's pretty much describing the behavior and underlying forces of ... yup... everything. :) And that in turn is based on maths.

Was that your question?