They should just forget the 50's/60's

spookyadler

Project QL Intern
Aug 7, 2005
For the new show (if it ever gets done) they should move beyond the settings of the original series. The 50's and 60's were more relevant in the late 80's-early 90's. But by this point, the 80's and maybe early 90's would make for the more relevant episodes.

I also think race/sexism issues shouldn't be as heavily focused on. Quantum Leap did a great job of addressing those issues in the 60's setting, but any new show shouldn't rehash what's already been said (and said well). I think they have an untapped potential to deal with corporate corruption (SnL scandal), gay issues (AIDS), and government betrayal (Watergate/Iran Contra, maybe even Clinton).

Thoughts on this?

spookyadler said:
For the new show (if it ever gets done) they should move beyond the settings of the original series. The 50's and 60's were more relevant in the late 80's-early 90's. But by this point, the 80's and maybe early 90's would make for the more relevant episodes.

Thoughts on this?

Good point! While I enjoyed seeing the 50's and 60's settings, the show never really delved into the 80's or 90's much at all. Would love to see more of the recent issues dealt with.

New Material

Hi Spookyadler and welcome to Brian's brilliant site!

While I agree with you to a degree about dealing with more recent issues, I don't think they should rule out episodes set in the earlier decades either. Perhaps just a greater emphasis on the later timeframe.

Also, i feel I have to point out a slight error in your arguement (and please don't take offense at this, for none is meant). You did after all invite thoughts:

I think they have an untapped potential to deal with corporate corruption (SnL scandal), gay issues (AIDS), and government betrayal (Watergate/Iran Contra, maybe even Clinton).

Thoughts on this?

Untapped? Watergate?

Season One Episode Two if memory serves me correctly! (Star Crossed)

Okay, so the actual scandal was not central to the leap! I'm only teasing you here.

Again, welcome to our group - pull up a chair, have a rodbeer on me! :cheers

leaper1 said:
While I agree with you to a degree about dealing with more recent issues, I don't think they should rule out episodes set in the earlier decades either. Perhaps just a greater emphasis on the later timeframe.
I find myself having to agree with this statement that Helen made. If this new series will indeed focus on Sammy Jo and have her leaping within her own lifespan according to the ACTUAL year of her birth (regardless of the age discrepancy issue), then by default, the 50s and early 60s would not be possible (unless the Project finds a way for her to leap within Sam's lifetime). But she'd be able to leap from 1967 up to the present.

With that being said, I definitely agree that it would be nice to see more 80s and early 90s-oriented episodes (although I'm not the biggest fan of the 90s myself). I grew up during the 80s, as I think a good majority of fans of the original show did. It would just make more sense to cater more toward our generation to have the full impact of nostalgia and reliving our youth. But that still doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see more stories set in the late 60s and 1970s. :)

Yeah, if Sam could leap into his own grandfather, I'm sure they could make it so that Sammy Jo could leap in the same lifetime... Then again, Sam's "String Theory" would need a bit of revising, would it not? Perhaps that could make an interesting story element, how Sammy Jo and Al reinvent the String Theory.

Oh and Hi all.

leaper1 said:
Untapped? Watergate?

I did actually think of that, but felt it was a perfect example of it being untapped. Same as how there were so many great episodes dealing with the social changes of the 60's and 70's I feel Watergate was the one massive event they sort of ignored.
Sam would've been about 19 when it happened, and 21 when Nixon resigned. As much as the JFK assassination effected him as a kid, the Watergate incident may have effected him as a young adult (though thankfully he maintained his belief in the decency of humanity or the show wouldn't have been as great).

I'll have to go with the consensus here: I think that the new series should focus more on the more recent decades. It's all relative to the time we're in now. In the original series, the '30s & '40s were a little too far into the past, so maybe by this point the same could be said about the '50s & '60s.

They could probably have an episode or two where some type of fluke occurs where Sammy Jo or possibly someone else leaps outside of her lifetime (as seen with Sam in "The Leap Back" or "The Leap Between the States"). It does seem that history has a way of repeating itself; now instead of having heavy emphasis on Vietnam, there could be the same amount of attention paid to Iraq (in the early '90s).

Watching the original series, though, I get the impression that a lot of the episodes were written as a sort of "history lesson" for the younger audience (Sam having a hazy memory of key events, etc.). I always liked little things like that about the show and think that it's important to maintain a few elements like this to help connect the shows together.

spookyadler said:
But by this point, the 80's and maybe early 90's would make for the more relevant episodes. I also think race/sexism issues shouldn't be as heavily focused on.

Did anything interesting happen in the 80s/90s worth re-hasing??? Women have equality. Blacks have equality. All the social issues of the 50-70s have been dealt with & fixed.

That leaves stories about Junk Bonds, Corporate Raiders, and Internet Stock Bubbles. I don't care about that trash and don't think it would be a good show.

troy

I'm all for the 80's!!!!!... 4 of my 6 stories from Season 11 were in the 80's (and I noticed a lot of other writers using the same era)

electrictroy said:
Did anything interesting happen in the 80s/90s worth re-hasing??? Women have equality. Blacks have equality. All the social issues of the 50-70s have been dealt with & fixed.

That leaves stories about Junk Bonds, Corporate Raiders, and Internet Stock Bubbles. I don't care about that trash and don't think it would be a good show.

troy

Chernobyl, Challenger, Lybia, Market Crash in '87 "Black Monday", early 80's was Cold War/ WW III fear with Russians, Grenada, Iranian Hostages, Reagan shot, Tainted Cyanide-Tylenol scare, Exxon Valdez, Religious scandals (Falwell/Jim & Tammy Faye Baker), Russia invades Afghanistan

Rodney King Riots, Kurt Cobain suicide, Desert Stortm, otherwise I ignored the 90's

Blf

Does anyone have any news on BLF?? I know Dean was at Dragon con, did anyone go??? I'd figure there would be news on it by now, I went to Dragon con.com and I stumbled upon a Dean Stockwell review from the website itself and they conformed Bold Leap Forward is being developed but still no date and nothing on whats going on with it.
I wish someone would get on the website here that talked to him and let us know what he said.