213 Another Mother

Another Mother

• Total voters
iMonrey said:
Worst of all, after Sam knocks them out, he and Kevin just get into their car and drive away! Did they call the police? Talk about your loose threads.

This has entered my mind as well, there was never closure with the kidnappers.

Donofrio_QLTD said:
while Kevin was a very good character, the actor who played him looked a bit too old to be playing a teenager, in my opinion. He was supposed to be a 16 year old, I think, and he looked like 22, 23.

Come to think of it, you are right. He does look like he could be in his early 20's.

IMonrey said:
The other thing I noticed is that this seems to be the only episode where Sam "senses" he's about to leap, giving Al ample time to say a proper goodbye to Teresa. I can't think of any other episode where Sam has that much advance warning he's about to leap out. Usually it takes him completely by surprise.

There have been at least two other instances.
1.) Thou Shalt Not. It felt as though Sam stayed behind on purpose to ensure the father showed affection to the daughter and even like he leaped at will, he knew exactly when.
"Now Sam?"
"Now."
2.) Southern Comforts. Sam informs Al that there will be no peeping of the "working girl" because it's time to leap. A minute prior, he even gets that same kind of expression as in this episode.

Last edited:
Another Mother

I love this episode because we get to see this *wonderful* side of Al, how gentle he was, and what a good daddy he could be. Little Teresa was so sweet, and Sam was a good mother, did a GREAT job. I do like the fact he can sense that he will leap, like that little feeling I get when a hot flash is about to hit!:dreaming

This has entered my mind as well, Kevin and Sam did leave the scene pretty casually and it's never told if the kidnappers were turned in.

I think the way they played it out was fine, if you're in a traumatic situation, the first thing you'd want to do is get out of it...

Another thing that bugs me every time I watch is the scene where the perv rips Sam's blouse open. Why the hell is he not wearing a bra!?

Sam is a man, he doesn't need one...

There have been at least two other instances.
1.) Thou Shalt Not. It felt as though Sam stayed behind on purpose to ensure the father showed affection to the daughter and even like he leaped at will, he knew exactly when.
"Now Sam?"
"Now."
2.) Southern Comforts. Sam informs Al that there will be no peeping of the "working girl" because it's time to leap. A minute prior, he even gets that same kind of expression as in this episode.

Also "What Price Gloria" he tells GFTW (really himself) that he's ready to leap...

Lightning McQueenie said:
Sam Beckett Fan said:
Another thing that bugs me every time I watch is the scene where the perv rips Sam's blouse open. Why the hell is he not wearing a bra!?
Sam is a man, he doesn't need one...

I beg to differ, he wasn't according to the surroundings he was in at the time. He was Mrs. Bruckner, a woman and a mother. In The Wrong Stuff Al even reminds Sam that the main rule is that he has to "At least pretend to be who you leap into" and through that white blouse it would be noticeable that Mrs. Bruckner wasn't wearing a bra which wouldn't be proper. It comes off as slutty.

I love Al and Teresa together, and Sam is also so wonderful with kids and he's great with the three kids in this episode. Also, knowing the outcome it cracks me up when the guy pulls the knife on Sam and Al says, "Careful, Sam, he's got a knife, it could be sharp." ROFL. Duh, Al.

I beg to differ, he wasn't according to the surroundings he was in at the time. He was Mrs. Bruckner, a woman and a mother. In The Wrong Stuff Al even reminds Sam that the main rule is that he has to "At least pretend to be who you leap into" and through that white blouse it would be noticeable that Mrs. Bruckner wasn't wearing a bra which wouldn't be proper. It comes off as slutty.

Unfortunately beggars can't be choosers SBF :p haha

Mrs Bruckner was an overworked mother, and Sam had to take on all her duties. Do you really think that with all the things going through his head that the mother would normally have to sort through, combined with trying to save the son, something as trivial as a bra would cross his mind?

blue enigma said:
Also, knowing the outcome it cracks me up when the guy pulls the knife on Sam and Al says, "Careful, Sam, he's got a knife, it could be sharp." ROFL. Duh, Al.

Haha right! Every time that line makes me think "No. Yah think Al!?" XD

Unfortunately beggars can't be choosers SBF :p haha

Mrs Bruckner was an overworked mother, and Sam had to take on all her duties. Do you really think that with all the things going through his head that the mother would normally have to sort through, combined with trying to save the son, something as trivial as a bra would cross his mind?

Of course, there I go over thinking again. XD

For all the leapers and Quantum Mums out there, the Quantum Leap Podcast have released a Mothers Day special - an audio commentary for the episode "Another Mother".

We had some very special guests. We were lucky enough to be joined the mother of Quantum Leap herself, Deborah Pratt, who wrote this episode. She had some great stories to tell about the making of "Another Mother" and answered some questions that had been burning in our minds for ages.

The other special guest is someone very close to my heart. I was on my best behaviour because we were joined by none other than my mother - Mamma McQueenie <3

Happy Mothers Day to all the Quantum Mums out there! :D

11196235_880817778649603_6230495332131865857_n.jpg
11196227_880817811982933_8139647129873548098_n.png

11150797_880817775316270_6543479775553325117_n.jpg

11143363_880817781982936_3237297234199637822_n.jpg

Last edited:

I hadn't even noticed the missing bra, but what crossed my mind after reading this discussion is... how does Sam put on a bra anyway? He can't see what he's doing, unless he looks into a mirror, right? So, how does he, well, get everything into position? Or can he see/feel his aura? I'm confused... :)

Vicky

I hadn't even noticed the missing bra, but what crossed my mind after reading this discussion is... how does Sam put on a bra anyway? He can't see what he's doing, unless he looks into a mirror, right? So, how does he, well, get everything into position? Or can he see/feel his aura? I'm confused... :)

Vicky

I'm sure since he knows where his nipples are he can guess where the breasts would be. And like you said, he can look in a mirror.

The first episode with the "Ziggy" voice-over introduction (even if it was a man here - great thing they immediately switched it after this ep.).
I thought Bellisario veteran Lance LeGault's reading was a bit over-the-top melodramatic and I'm glad they replaced it too. I just surfed IMDB to double-check my spelling and I see that he passed away in 2012. R.I.P.

By the way, that neighborhood were they lived looked a lot like the one that was used in the music video for the song "Subdivisions" by the rock-prog band "Rush" (a favorite of mine).
I'm not familiar with that video, but one scene near the end of this episode looked exactly like Elliot's neighborhood in E.T. to me.

Another oddity I noticed in this episode that hasn't been mentioned yet: once, when Al vanishes to be re-centered elsewhere, a cloud of multicolored glittery sparkles briefly appear in his place. Very cartoonish IMO. Was that effect ever seen in any other episode?

Another oddity I noticed in this episode that hasn't been mentioned yet: once, when Al vanishes to be re-centered elsewhere, a cloud of multicolored glittery sparkles briefly appear in his place. Very cartoonish IMO. Was that effect ever seen in any other episode?

No, it was only in this episode. I think they were just trying out some new effects, and after realising that it didn't work as well as they'd hoped, simply stopped using it.

This has entered my mind as well, there was never closure with the kidnappers.

I never understood who the kidnappers were, they didn't even have any lines. I thought they might be connected to Kevin's father, he was described as rather slimy. It wasn't set up well or had any closure.

"Hey mommy glad you're back, there was a man here taking your place."
"Honey what do you mean?.... Wait I thought I was just cooking breakfast..."
:p

Two things: How many times is that tumbleweed going to cross the road in the bus stop scene? And, how does the creep drive the van if the windshield and side windows are blacked out (which would get him pulled over by the cops in an instant)?

I enjoyed this episode. Al's interactions with Teresa were very touching (even if he broke his promise to her in canon). Sam's virginity speech at the breakfast table was spot on. (I would steal that if I had kids.) The creeps in the van gave me the total creeps, but Al's protective threat to kill the creep, and especially the way he said it, made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck. I love how this is the first time we see Sam's martial arts prowess, and it's certainly not the last.

I didn't understand what the point was to the Magnum scene.

This episode gets an Excellent.

Oh, and I saw where a couple people mentioned above that the actor who played Kevin looked older than fifteen. They probably cast an 18tly* actor because he had to take off his shirt in that one scene.

* Eighteen years or older who can pass as younger than 18

Two things: How many times is that tumbleweed going to cross the road in the bus stop scene? And, how does the creep drive the van if the windshield and side windows are blacked out (which would get him pulled over by the cops in an instant)?

I enjoyed this episode. Al's interactions with Teresa were very touching (even if he broke his promise to her in canon). Sam's virginity speech at the breakfast table was spot on. (I would steal that if I had kids.) The creeps in the van gave me the total creeps, but Al's protective threat to kill the creep, and especially the way he said it, made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck. I love how this is the first time we see Sam's martial arts prowess, and it's certainly not the last.

I didn't understand what the point was to the Magnum scene.

This episode gets an Excellent.

Oh, and I saw where a couple people mentioned above that the actor who played Kevin looked older than fifteen. They probably cast an 18tly* actor because he had to take off his shirt in that one scene.

I think the "Magnum" scene was just an 'in joke' since it is another Bellisario show.

Two things: How many times is that tumbleweed going to cross the road in the bus stop scene?

It did look like a boring town haha. No wonder everyone does just each other ;)

And, how does the creep drive the van if the windshield and side windows are blacked out (which would get him pulled over by the cops in an instant)?

Windows can be tinted and still have perfect visuals from the inside.

Actually, Deborah Pratt explained to us that the reason they cast an older actor was because it's cheaper - minors can only work a limited number of hours.

Windows can be tinted and still have perfect visuals from the inside.
In a van, rear windows (behind the B pillar) can be tinted as dark as you like, or even painted over. Front windows can be tinted up to a point. I can't remember offhand what the percentage is. I believe 20%? In any car (in the US, at least) it's illegal to tint the windshield at all, except for the top two or three inches along the roofline, unless you have a doctor's documentation that all your windows are required to be tinted (and even then, there's a limit). In quite a few shots, that van appeared to have its windows painted black. I get that it's to add to the 'creep' factor, but we already saw the pervs at the bus stop, so it seemed pointless (and dangerous!) and completely unrealistic to do that.

Actually, Deborah Pratt explained to us that the reason they cast an older actor was because it's cheaper - minors can only work a limited number of hours.

Now that makes perfect sense. I hadn't thought of that.

I think the "Magnum" scene was just an 'in joke' since it is another Bellisario show.

That makes sense. I'm assuming the reference would have been more pertinent to the time the episode was originally aired. I guess it would be like if today, they aired an episode where Sam leaped into 2009 or 2010, and they showed a character watching whatever show was popular then.

That makes sense. I'm assuming the reference would have been more pertinent to the time the episode was originally aired. I guess it would be like if today, they aired an episode where Sam leaped into 2009 or 2010, and they showed a character watching whatever show was popular then.

I think it's funny that they showed Magnum PI as a TV show in this episode, when later it was planned that Sam would leap into Magnum for an episode hahaha.

I've just watched this one... very entertaining episode I thought.

Some things, like kids being able to see Al, and Sam being able to do multiple martial arts, are so set in stone I forget they originated here.... have we really never seen Sam do his kung fu before this?

Not a perfect episode, as the kidnappers subplot is a bit rushed, as others have pointed out in this thread, but a good one.

I've just got two questions if anyone can help:

* Does anyone know why there was a different voiceover for this one?
* When was the filming date(s) of the episode? I was struck by the "teenage" temptress being clearly in her mid 20s.

Thanks.

Deborah Pratt has explained to us that the generic saga cell was introduced to make it easier to air the episodes out of order for reruns. This was the first episode with the generic saga cell and it appears they were simply trying to find the right fit for the voice-over, settling on Deborah herself in the next episode.

This episode aired in January 1990 so it would have been filmed in either late 1989 or very early 1990.

Thank you for that... I actually meant to go back and edit my message as I'd realised afterwards thanks to informative comments in this thread.

I hadn't seen the show for a while, having taken a mid-season break from it, and I'd forgotten that up until this point we still had the Scott Bakula narration.

This is one of those episodes that has grown on me with time. I always liked it, don't get me wrong, but this time around I really enjoyed it. This is the second time Sam has leaped into a woman and this time finds himself as a mother!

I felt sorry for Kevin. Underneath the wisecracks he was a vulnerable kid and the scene where he's set up to fall flat on his face with Jackie is hard for me to watch.

The standout moments of this episode are those concerning Al and little Teresa. Her being able to see both Sam and Al gives this episode some of the cutest moments of the entire series. My heart was breaking for both Al and Teresa at the end of the episode... Some people think that Al was in the wrong for lying to Teresa and basically promising that he'll come back when he knows in all likelihood this isn't possible. But I don't think for a moment that he didn't keep that promise. Why couldn't Al just go see her in the present day? I honestly think he would have done this.

The only weak part of this episode is the two perverts. As others have noted, they come across as just cartoon villains who are just there somehow. They're ill defined and the whole thing comes across as clunky. I did enjoy seeing Sam kick the crap out of them, though.

My rating. Good. It could have been excellent, but the villains of the episode really drag it down towards the end.

chris-oates;62781 The standout moments of this episode are those concerning Al and little Teresa. Her being able to see both Sam and Al gives this episode some of the cutest moments of the entire series. My heart was breaking for both Al and Teresa at the end of the episode... Some people think that Al was in the wrong for lying to Teresa and basically promising that he'll come back when he knows in all likelihood this isn't possible. But I don't think for a moment that he didn't keep that promise. Why couldn't Al just go see her in the present day? I honestly think he would have done this. [/QUOTE said:
The Novel 'Angels Unaware' by L Elizabeth Storm addresses this very point, reuniting Al [and Sam] and Teresa in 1995 - 14 years later.

The Novel 'Angels Unaware' by L Elizabeth Storm addresses this very point, reuniting Al [and Sam] and Teresa in 1995 - 14 years later.

Really? I never knew that. I haven't read the novels. I'm glad someone picked up on Al's promise at the end and made a sequel to this story.