Old 11-17-2005, 01:18 AM   #76
McDuck
Junior Leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-10
Actually, Wal-Mart has players that convert PAL to NTSC, and that can be hacked to region free for around 30-40 bucks. No need for another TV.
Specific players please? I work at an electronics retailer and would love to be able to get one for myself....
Old 11-17-2005, 08:14 AM   #77
alsplacebartender
Al's Place Bartender

Yes, as long as the player can convert PAL to NTSC, you definately don't need another TV.

Brian Greene
Al's Place Bartender
alsplacebartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 06:30 PM   #78
Al's Cigar
Imaging Chamber Technician

I already made a post earlier in this thread about the DVD players and listed some examples.

All the 'Zone Free' DVD players bought from amazon.com should covert PAL to NTSC.

Last edited by Al's Cigar; 11-17-2005 at 06:38 PM.
Al's Cigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 07:20 PM   #79
Samantha Beckett
Project Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggie
Yep, that's exactly what that is. Normally at the end of each episode they show Sam leaping from whoever he was in that episode, into who he is going to be in the next episode, but on the DVDs these are all mixed up so at the end of one episode he may leap into one person, but in the next episode he has leaped into someone totally different. This is because when Quantum Leap was shown on TV they sometimes mixed the episodes up, and so the DVD leap-outs are in the mixed up order they episodes were originally shown in, but the episodes themselves are in the order they were supposed to be in, without being all mixed up. I've probably made you more confused I'm sure.
Yeah, you kinda have. Just as long as the episodes are in original order, that's all I really care about. I at least understand that, right? LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggie
Because of problems with copyright etc the US versions of the DVDs have the music all changed. So, like, instead of having Georgia on my Mind at the end if MIA, they had some totally generic sounding song because they couldn't get the rights to put Georgia on my Mind on the DVDs. The UK DVDs don't have this problem because the copyrights are different in the UK.
Okay, I understand the music thing now. However, one more clarification. When "MIA" aired here, they played Georgia on my Mind in that last dance between Al and Beth. So, on the American DVDs, Georgia on my Mind doesn't play, even tho it did when it aired here? That's one of my favorite songs with a lot of sentimental value for me, and I really hope its on the American DVDs.

Quote:
That region-free complete set is a bootleg. Save your money for the real deal.
Really? Wow, thanks a lot! I was just about to buy that set. *huggles*

Samantha Beckett
Old 11-17-2005, 11:49 PM   #80
QL Nut
Project Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha_Beckett
So, on the American DVDs, Georgia on my Mind doesn't play, even tho it did when it aired here?
Exactly.

With the exception of Season 1, which has all original music intact, the North American Region 1 sets of Season 2 and Season 3 have a considerable amount of omitted original music. The only original songs that were left in the episodes are songs that are directly sung or hummed by the characters (so that the scenes still make sense). Sometimes it can work without being noticed, but most of the time it completely destroys scenes as with the most devastating change, the omission of "Georgia On My Mind" in "M.I.A." So, in order for you to be able to have all original music, you'll need to purchase the Region 2 version of the second season.

This is due to copyright/licensing issues, as well as an apparent ongoing "tug-of-war" between the record industry and Universal Studios concerning contracts and fees.

Quote:
Just as long as the episodes are in original order, that's all I really care about. I at least understand that, right? LOL.
Every episode on all DVD season sets (in all regions) are in the correct consecutive order. However, where your confusion comes in is regarding the "leap-outs" at the end of some episodes contradicting the correct episode order. For example, the leap-out for "All-Americans" has Sam leaping back into "The Color Of Truth" from Season 1 because NBC originally edited the episodes that way to account for repeats during the original run.

Most television shows have repeats during their season runs (24 is one notable exception), only Quantum Leap was unique in the fact that it always had a cliffhanger for the following episode. Universal did not tamper with the original editing of the NBC broadcasts to "correct" these repeat leap-outs in order for them to make sense chronologically. Some longtime fans (like myself) like that this was left alone for the sake of preservation, while others (typically first-time viewers) find it annoying and confusing because some leap-outs don't make sense.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:40 AM   #81
McDuck
Junior Leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al's Cigar
I already made a post earlier in this thread about the DVD players and listed some examples.

All the 'Zone Free' DVD players bought from amazon.com should covert PAL to NTSC.
I know you did, but I was curious about which ones at Wal-Mart he was talking about....b/c the ones Amazon carries we don't, so I can't get them with my employee discount.... <wg>
Old 11-18-2005, 04:26 PM   #82
S-10
PQL Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDuck
Specific players please? I work at an electronics retailer and would love to be able to get one for myself....
Only one I could find on the Wal-Mart website is the Cyberhome 300. Most of the actual stores have more.

Check out www.nerd-out.com/forum for lots of hackable players, and help on how to do it.

www.nerd-out.com/darrenk also has lots of the players, and firmware upgrades... but they may be pretty overwhelming for some.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:48 PM   #83
Samantha Beckett
Project Observer

Quote:
So, on the American DVDs, Georgia on my Mind doesn't play, even tho it did when it aired here? {/QUOTE]

QL_NUT: Exactly.
That's cheap!!! That really sucks!

I'm still getting the DVDs this weekend, but I was thinking that if I was used to the sow the way it aired on TV, I wouldn't really miss (or know the difference) between the US and the UK version of the DVDs. So, since even the DVDs are different than it aired, I guess I am gonna notice the difference. I don't understand how that could happen, I think its cheap. But still, I'll love the DVDs just as much!

Samantha Beckett

Last edited by Samantha Beckett; 11-18-2005 at 10:55 PM.
Samantha Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 01:05 PM   #84
QL Nut
Project Observer

Quote:
That's cheap!!! That really sucks!
Welcome to our world.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:39 PM   #85
Samantha Beckett
Project Observer

Thank you, I'm glad to be a part of it! *disgruntled mumbling*

I know they say life isn't fair, but wouldn't be nice that once in a while, it was?

Samantha Beckett
Old 11-21-2005, 03:17 AM   #86
emgrog
PQL Visitor

Default Multi-Zone Players for US

Quote:
I know you did, but I was curious about which ones at Wal-Mart he was talking about....b/c the ones Amazon carries we don't, so I can't get them with my employee discount.... <wg>

Hi
I'm a new convert to region 2 DVD's, due solely to the QL R1 problems. Thankfully, I found out about the problems before I spent my money on S2,R1.
I just ordered season 2,R2, FROM CD-WOW---$39.95 and free shipping. That's cheaper than I could order it in the US with shipping.

For everyone trying to find a player for region 2 dvds---I just went through the entire list at walmart.com. They listed two that support both NTSC and PAL playback. Others may, be these two specifically state that they do--

Cyberhome CH-DVD655---$79.83
ILo DVDR 05 MU----$98.74

I just bought the Ilo, primarily because it is also a DVD recorder(goodbye VHS!). Note to prospective buyers--Wal-Mart carries this with different model #s--DVDR05-MU and DVDR05-ZU. Pass on the ZU and look until you can find an MU. While they look the same, they have different chipsets, and the ZU is gaining a reputation for frequent failure.

Anyway, both the sets I listed above can be set for any region or all regions. You won't find that in the manual, but it is very easy to do. For the DVDR05, after you have it set-up and connected, you simply do the following--
Turn on power and press "setup" on the remote
On the remote, press the following numbers in sequence-1, 6, 9, 5, 1, 8
A hidden menu will appear allowing you to select the region of your choice--0 thru 9. 0 is multi-regional, but keep in mind that some R1 dvds may not play on anything but the region 1 setting--I plan to switch between R1 and R2.
After selecting your region, power the player off, then back on--your changes should be in effect.

I'm not sure what the process is for the Cyberhome unit. It could also be a remote control process, or it could require a hacked firmware upgrade, which could probably be found on the internet. Keep in mind that using the remote control procedure does not harm your set, while an unauthorized firmware upgrade would probably void the warranty.

Anyway, there are solutions out there that don't cost too much. I needed a new DVD player anyway!

Goodluck to all, and thanks for all the great info you all post here.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:23 AM   #87
McDuck
Junior Leaper

Thanks for this info!!!! VERY helpful!!!

Just yesterday I saw one of our customers buying the Cyberhome and I was able to see on the packaging that it was PAL/NTSC.... I'm hoping to get mine either today or tomorrow now and then orderthe Region 2 Season 2 set!!
Old 11-21-2005, 02:25 PM   #88
alsplacebartender
Al's Place Bartender

I now have the screencaps of the menus from the R2 S2 set on the site!

Take a look on our Season Two on DVD page. http://www.quantumleap-alsplace.com/...uantum%20Leap:

Brian Greene
Al's Place Bartender
alsplacebartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 02:48 PM   #89
leaper1
PQL Security Staff

Default dvd region settings

emgrog said
Quote:
A hidden menu will appear allowing you to select the region of your choice--0 thru 9. 0 is multi-regional, but keep in mind that some R1 dvds may not play on anything but the region 1 setting--I plan to switch between R1 and R2.
After selecting your region, power the player off, then back on--your changes should be in effect.
Can I just say that you need to be careful switching. Many dvd players, both those you attach to tv's and those that fit into computers will allow you to switch regions 5 times, after which they lock on the last region used. You could probably do this to begin with, and then hack to region 0 afterward, I'm not sure, but you should be aware that this locking is possible, or you could find that suddenly half your dvd's won't work.

Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God.(Leo Buscaglia) Helen in Bedford
leaper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 03:05 PM   #90
Al's Cigar

Set the player to region 0.. Virtually anything from around the world will play in it. Never heard about this five times on a DVD player (but it is the case with DVD roms).
Old 11-22-2005, 02:04 AM   #91
Samantha Beckett
Project Observer

*sits in the corner in a state of confusion* I've just gotta keep re-reading this thread to figure out what the heck y'all are talking about.

Samantha Beckett
Old 11-22-2005, 10:51 AM   #92
feldon30
Forum Technician

DVDs are limited to playing in certain regions. Region 0 means NO LIMITS. Region 1 means USA/Canada/Mexico. Region 2 means UK/Europe, etc.

The UK DVDs of Quantum Leap, which contain all of the music (the North American releases have half the music missing/substituted) are in PAL format which will not play on a North American TV (NTSC) without conversion. And as you can imagine, they are Region 2 DVDs and will not play on an unmodified North American DVD player.

A DVD-ROM drive (a DVD/CD player in your computer/laptop) cannot be set to Region 0. If you change the Region on it more than 5 times, it will stop working.

Standalone DVD players specifically designed (hacked/modified) to play all DVDs are a different story.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:45 PM   #93
Samantha Beckett
Project Observer

Hmm, all this talk about being able to just select a region from a DVD player makes me wonder if I could do the same. I have a Hitachi DVD/VCR DV-PF2U that is MP3/CD-RW/DVD-R compatible. I also have a Norcent (I can't find a serial number on it) that is DVD/CD/CD-R/CD-RW compatible. Can I select a region on either of these?

Samantha Beckett
Old 11-22-2005, 09:12 PM   #94
S-10
PQL Visitor

Completely different from the R1 versions. Good to know they started from scratch, instead of just using what was already available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsplacebartender
I now have the screencaps of the menus from the R2 S2 set on the site!

Take a look on our Season Two on DVD page. http://www.quantumleap-alsplace.com/...uantum%20Leap:
Old 11-22-2005, 09:46 PM   #95
McDuck
Junior Leaper

Bought my Cyberhome CH-DVD 300 today and also ordered Region 2 Season 2! Can't wait to SEE it!!! I'm watching M.I.A. first off!!!
Old 11-22-2005, 10:07 PM   #96
Al's Cigar

Quote:
I have a Norcent (I can't find a serial number on it) that is DVD/CD/CD-R/CD-RW compatible. Can I select a region on either of these?

Samantha Beckett

http://www.dvd365.net/?hacks/norcent.htm

Maybe try that handset hack.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:17 PM   #97
Al's Cigar

Quote:
Bought my Cyberhome CH-DVD 300 today and also ordered Region 2 Season 2! Can't wait to SEE it!!! I'm watching M.I.A. first off!!!
And here's the handset hack to make it region 0 :

"Power on, ensure no DVD in tray, press <<Menu>>, press << 1 >>, press << 9 >>. A grey box came into the middle of the screen shoing the number 1. Down arrow until this shows << 0 >>.
I've checked, switched on, off, taken out the power lead, etc.... and it now shows PAL and NTSC DVD's on my TV without having to buy additioal equipment."

Old 11-24-2005, 12:44 AM   #98
veggie
PQL Visitor

I am sorry but I'm away on vacation and have only just checked in so forgive me bringing up replies from days ago

Quote:
Actually, Wal-Mart has players that convert PAL to NTSC, and that can be hacked to region free for around 30-40 bucks. No need for another TV.
Well I didn't necessarily mean that anyone would need to go out and buy a new TV - most modern TVs, at least in Australia, are both PAL and NTSC compatible, and I imagine it's the same in other countries. But, I only mentioned it because I had a VCR that could convert my NTSC videos to PAL with no problems, but I couldn't watch those videos on my TV because, although the VCR was advertised as capable of converting NTSC to PAL, it wasn't a true conversion, and my TV wasn't new enough to handle the NTSC signal. I just didn't want ppl to get all excited about getting the Region 2 DVDs and then find that themselves in the same boat. But as I said, this doesn't mean that anyone should go out and buy a new TV as I imagine it won't turn out to be a problem - I just mentioned it as something that ppl should perhaps check and make sure about before spending their money on the DVDs. Sorry for any misunderstanding.
Fel
Old 11-24-2005, 03:23 PM   #99
Samantha Beckett
Project Observer

I just bought all three seasons last night, and i am soooooooooooo excited!!! I got Region 1, so I'll just suck it up and love it anyway I had a really, really, REALLY crappy day at work, and right when I got off I went to the Circuit City across the street and bought all three at once, for a lot cheaper than it said on the price tag too! So not only did my day get better because I got the DVDs, but for $35 less than I thought it was, hehe. YAY!

I'm testing my patience, and it's killing me. Memphis Melody and Mirror Image are airing monday and tuesday morning on sci-fi, and I am planning on waiting until I see the series finale until I start watching the DVDs from the beginning of season one. Wish me luck! I've played around with the bonus stuff already, hehe.

Samantha Beckett
Old 11-24-2005, 05:05 PM   #100
BlueSovereign

Nice one !

I've got both Seasons 1 and 2 (R2) right now and I will order the 3rd season next month on release. I just loved these box sets so much that I must own the rest and won't be 100% happy until I have them all.

I have just finished watching the second season and I really enjoyed MIA. It was a very emotional episode and I could really feel for Al, especially when he was dancing with Beth at the end with the original music left in. I got teary many times during this episode and would of hated it if they had replaced the original music in these sets. I downloaded the altered version of the ending and it had a completely different feel - not as intense. But that's another story and has already been discussed at great length on this board.

So as you can see, I am itching to get Season 3 .