A Bold Leap Forward not on 2006 Schedule

alsplacebartender

Al's Place Bartender
Staff member
Hi all!

I spoke with a new contact today on the phone and he gave me the latest update on A Bold Leap Forward.

Unfortunately, there are no plans to start production on A Bold Leap Forward in 2006. Nothing is in the works and he had no indication that anything would be in the works anytime soon. However, that doesn't mean something couldn't pop up at any time, he added.

This is obviously sad news but I felt I had to pass it along to you all.

He did give me an interesting bit of trivia on the original production of Quantum Leap. You know the blue titles of the episodes, cast, etc that are shown when the show opens? Well... they were done by making a black cell and cutting out the letters for each title. Then they would put the cell on a white backlit background. Then they shot it with a video camera, then with a modern linear switcher they did a simple key to cut out the shape (in other words take anything that's white and keep that shape), then they added the tint and drop shadow with the switcher as well. Presto....credits.

He kept the cell that says "Mirror Image" and has provided us a copy for the site. See how they did it on the Mirror Imaging page!

So, sad news today, but at least I have a direct line into Universal now and will be able to get the scoop on the series as soon as info comes in.

Sorry guys!

Last edited:
So Bumbed

:( I am so bumbed!:cry

My mom and I both think that they are going to wait until the last DVD of QL comes out before they put anything out on T.V. What a shame , I almost what to cry...or get really mad! But I think I will be good. :angel
Julie.

A Bold Leap what? I have to say this really isn't surprising news. I'd figured nothing has been going on with this for the past year... My advice is to not think about it and maybe one day we'll be pleasantly surprised.

Glass half-full speaking. This way, there's enough time to develop a pilot and series that satisfies the hardcore Leapers and interests enough of the general TV audience. Rushing something for this fall probably would've resulted in something that would be unsatisfactory -- and cancelled.

-- Mike

QL Nut said:
A Bold Leap what? I have to say this really isn't surprising news. I'd figured nothing has been going on with this for the past year... My advice is to not think about it and maybe one day we'll be pleasantly surprised.

well I think I am with you on this one!! If I don't think about it then when it gets here ( if it does) I will big party with all my QL friends....ok so I am dreaming. But it could happen...right? I must comfess it is a bit hard to not want it.

After the initial delight in 1999, 7 years later I felt it was never going to happen, no matter what kind of positive spin we put on it. I feel I've now been proved right, unfortunately. Even though Universal are saying it's not a definate no for the future, I can't see them changing their minds in any kind of hurry.

I guess I'm not too surprised... After all, neither Scott nor Dean seemed to know anything about it, and one would think they would have at least heard something.

So Dean was up for it? I thought I'd heard that he didn't know much about it and that he wasn't signed up for anything.

And I'd like to know why they wouldn't mention anything to Scott... even if he wasn't the main character, he deserved a cameo, at least!

Like you don't think that someone from THIS board would be going to that, do you? I mean... someone who is GAGA over Dean? SOMEONE... nah... not from this board... nah........

And if you believe that I have some ocean front property in New Mexico that I'd like to sell you....

MJ

I would suggest wholeheartedly NOT asking Dean at his art reception.

He separates his art and his acting COMPLETELY.

I wouldn't mention QL at ALL.

If you look back at that post that I made Jennie, I never said that ANYONE would ask... I was just saying that SOMEONE would be going...

As for the asking... I think that Jennie is right... I think that would be the best idea.... UNLESS he's the one that takes the initiative to mention it.

MJ

Ah yes, looking back I realize that it may not be a good idea. But I almost packed for Dallas tonight. Unfortuately, I have prior obligations that will prevent me from going. Oh, well. There's always Taos.

hmm, its listed in Scotts IMDB, my mom showed me. it said summer 2006. ???

That could be a wishful fan of Scott's and Quantum Leap. However, correct me if I'm work, isn't Scott's contract on Shenandoah over sometime in May?

If so, prehaps the summer 2006 could mean that the telefilm would start going in production. Wishful thinking? I hope not. Prehaps, he and others involved, are under NDA, which means he cannot talk about it.

ziggysego said:
Leap. However, correct me if I'm work, isn't Scott's contract on Shenandoah over sometime in May?

Scott's run with "Shenandoah" ended on April 30 (and I had the priviledge of being there for that last performance). From May 2 through the end of the run on May 21 the role of Charlie Anderson is being played by Brian Sutherland.

Yeah, and wasn't he originally supposed to play that role all the way through the end of the run and then it changed?

Makes me wonder if something's up..... (though will probably turn out just to be that he wanted more time for family and/or for some other Hollywood venture)

Joy

tina_als_girl said:
Yeah, and wasn't he originally supposed to play that role all the way through the end of the run and then it changed?

Makes me wonder if something's up..... (though will probably turn out just to be that he wanted more time for family and/or for some other Hollywood venture)

Joy

No. He was originally only supposed to play it through April 30 which also was supposed to be the closing date as well. When it was first announced the closing date had been sometime in May but that date was only there for a very brief time. Before tickets even went on sale April 30 was the announced closing of it. About 2 - 3 weeks before April 30 is when Ford's announced it was being extended and that Brian Sutherland was taking over the part.

Scott, though, has repeatedly said that the only thing he has plans for right now is coaching his son's baseball team and that he wants to do more theater - hopefully Broadway. When asked about a QL movie he's unequivocally said that there is not one in the works - although he did qualify it by adding in "not at this time". To me, though the "not at this time" seemed more like it was thrown into mollify people.

ziggysego said:
That could be a wishful fan of Scott's and Quantum Leap. However, correct me if I'm work, isn't Scott's contract on Shenandoah over sometime in May?

If so, prehaps the summer 2006 could mean that the telefilm would start going in production. Wishful thinking? I hope not. Prehaps, he and others involved, are under NDA, which means he cannot talk about it.

you mean to tell me that fans are free to just put information in actors' profiles freely. thats kinda stupid. :nut