1012 Where the Buck Stops

Where the Buck Stops

• 4 ? This episode was great! I will definitely tell others about it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2 ? This episode was like the neutral zone ? I am indifferent.

• 1 ? Bellisario would be rolling in his grave if he had one.

• Total voters

QL Damsel

Al's Place / TVS & QR & Radio Files Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2002
Near Austin Texas
www.quantumleap-alsplace.com
Where the Buck Stops
April 29 1991

Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Sam finds himself running for his life?not fast enough, for he is immediately shot. As he fights for his life, he must persuade George, his leapee's partner, to accept responsibility for the choices that led to this situation.

Written by: Helen Earl

Thanks,
TVS Team

Last edited by a moderator:
Our rating system this season consisted of six raters! We took the average of six raters and came up with an average for that episode.

Based on ratings of 10 being the highest and 1 being the lowest, the average of this episode was: 9.0

Some of the comments given were:

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Valery S. Gemini said:
I was impatient to read from a brand new writer. I've come to expect equal quality from a newcomer than from a regular author - I didn't think it'd be possible for the VS to get better every year, but since this season started I've been amazed by the overall quality of scripts and writing: I still always wonder if the old QL staff, from Don B to our famous duet but also scenarists, know that their "baby" still lives on, and is stronger and in even better shape than during the last TV season.

Back to the story: simply wonderful! It's not often that Sam is put in such a life-threatening situation. I loved the way he fulfils his mission, simply by talking -and using coconut juice- while he's already almost "knocking on heaven's door"... Of course we all KNEW he couldn't actually die, but this story's told with many nail-biting or tear-jerking moments, all sounding SO true!

I also enjoyed the "rattlesnakes invade PQL" part, bringing a relative relief (compared to Sam's ordeal of course) while also adding to the overall suspense. Allow me a personal OOT comment: if I ever meet one of these creatures, I won't wait for the Animals Protection Squad or whatever to come and take it away, I'll just grab the nearest hammer-looking object at hand and smash its bl..dy head. I POSITIVELY **HATE** SNAKES!!!

Yes, this story deserves a 10 - and its new author our deepest encouragements to write MORE stuff of the same quality!

Finally - to the VS team + writers and to all raters:

Merry Christmas!!!
VSG

RATING: 10

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Sporty said:
I would rate WHERE THE BUCK STOPS an 8 (This was a good story. It was a good read.)

RATING: 8.0

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Morris Finkle said:
This was an excellent and well-written episode. I agree with Valerie as well... the rattlesnake segment added some comic relief to an already tense situation. And I thought it was a nice touch mentioning Brenda (from Coding). Wonder what Al thinks of her in the current timeline... :p

I look forward to reading more of Helen's stories in the near future! :)

RATING: 9.5

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Seeker said:
A very good story. Well done, indeed.

RATING: 9.0

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Sparky said:
A very good story. Loved it.

RATING: 8.5

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Kazzi said:
Unable to rate.

RATING: NR

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Now, it's your opportunity to rate this particular story. Let the author(s) know how you rate this story. If you'd like to give feedback, please go ahead and leave a reply!

Thanks!
The Virtual Seasons Team

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know what to say, Helen... wow! I bow in your presence. :eek:

Seriously, Helen, this was very good! I like how you incorporate literary references into your writings... Room 101 in TLC, and now Lenny (Leni) and George in this story. I read "Of Mice and Men" when I was in high school (it was required reading), but I barely remember it. I remembered their names though.

I can't wait to see what other ideas you have coming. :D

(On a side note, it's kind of cool seeing my leap-in for the next episode attached at the end. 3 weeks until my story goes up! YIKES! I hope you guys and gals will be gentle with your critiques... :b )

Well I was waiting to respond until the comments had finished rolling in, but it seems like maybe as many people have posted as are going to, so I just want to say a great big
THANK YOU ALL SO VERY MUCH!!!!
for all the kind comments and generous ratings.
The reception "Where the Buck Stops" received from you, who are true fans, was far better than I dared hope for, and was the best Christmas present I could have had.
I am certainly inspired to try for another contribution.

What can I say Helen?

I know I read it way back in July (proof reading, just in case any of you are wondering how I could have read it back then), but reading it again really brought out the context of the story.

An excellent job done exceedingly well :D

Sorry I'm late in replying, but I finally got to reading this great story. I rated it a 4. It was a great story. If I, or anyone else, were to give it a worse rating then I sincerely hope that you would consider writing more. This goes for every writer.:)
BTW, great episode Helen! I loved the Of Mice And Men reference.:lol It reminded me of the realistic connection between me and Brian's episode with John and Sara Perkins. I mentioned that in reply to his episode. I loved the intruder alert at the project. It made me think that there was someone entering top secret government property when it was just a snake which we all "saw" in the imaging chamber. But, at first thought that the snake was in Sam's presence. I'm not sure that there are a lot of rattlers in Alabama. They exist in deserts, like Arizona and New Mexico. That one snake turned out to be more! Oh boy! Excellent job indeed.
What I don't understand is that you kept on changing the pronoun describing Sam.(He/She)
Steve(aka RossBeckett)
P.S. Thanks for keeping Mr. Bellisario's dream alive!
P.S.S. Is this the last season of Quantum Leap: The Virtual Seasons?

Helen, wonderful story - you know I'm a long time fan of all of your work, and I can't wait to see your next VS episode! 5/5 and a gold star!

Em xxx

RossBeckett said:
What I don't understand is that you kept on changing the pronoun describing Sam.(He/She)
Steve(aka RossBeckett)
P.S. Thanks for keeping Mr. Bellisario's dream alive!

The gender change is to reflect perspective.
Al, and with him the readers, know that Sam is Sam and therefore 'he'.
George sees and reacts to "Leni", his girlfriend, a 'she'.
So the change in pronoun depends on whose perspective we are seeing the situation from.

Sorry this explanation has been so long coming, I almost didn't bother, but then I thought that new readers might think me rude for not addressing the criticism.

Hope this clears it up for you.

THanks again for the positive comments.