Where is the best place to buy the season DVDs?

QuantumCrush

Project QL Intern
Nov 30, 2006
PA
Can anyone tell me the current best place to buy the season DVDs? I have been reading over the old postings and I am worried about the issues being disscussed. Have they fixed the problems with the music yet? Does anyone have a set that they are 100% happy with? Please help!:)

QuantumCrush said:
Can anyone tell me the current best place to buy the season DVDs? I have been reading over the old postings and I am worried about the issues being disscussed. Have they fixed the problems with the music yet? Does anyone have a set that they are 100% happy with? Please help!:)
Please correct me if I am wrong but I believe this is the situation:

There is one set of discs produced in the USA/Canada (Region 1), one set of discs produced in the UK (Region 2), and one set of discs produced in Australia (Region 4).

* Seasons 1 and 5 in Region 1 have the music intact. Seasons 2-4 have substantial music substitutions including key songs. Some find this ruins the enjoyment of many episodes. Some episodes, such as Jimmy, have poor picture and sound quality. Seasons 2-5 are each on 3 double-sided discs.

* Seasons 1, 2, 5 (?) in Region 2 have the music intact. All 5 seasons are on individual discs.

* Seasons 1, 2, 3, 5 (?) in Region 4 have the music intact. All 5 seasons are on individual discs.

If you have a multi-region, multi-format (PAL/NTSC) DVD player and care about the music, then you might consider buying season 1 US, season 2 UK, season 3 Aus, season 5 US, and then wait and see on the long shot that season 4 is re-released with the music intact.

Note that PAL DVDs are recorded 4% slower to fit American 24fps film onto PAL's 25fps standard. This affects the audio and some people find the lowered semitone objectionable.

Note also that season 5 has not been released in the UK and Australia so the music may have been affected there.

It should also be noted that seasons 2-5 in the US are on double-sided DVDs, while in other regions, they're single-sided. I don't know if that will have any effect on your buying decision, but some people find double-sided disks to be a nuisance.

I live in Australia (region 4) but i bought all my season dvds from America (barring the first one) because i simply couldnt wait, im not upset about the music replacements because i didnt watch the show when it first aired what makes me mad is the double-sided discs...

Universal are an American company so why are the dvds in Australia and the UK done better than in America?

another question...

Thank you for your response, as well as everyone else, because I found the information very helpful. But I originally meant where is the best place online or in a store to buy the dvds. Do you know of any good places to buy them online or in Austraila? If my dvd player will support the Region 4 formats, I will probably just buy them all from there.

I got all of my DVDs from Amazon.com. The first three were purchased with an Amazon gift card I received. Four and Five were purchased with my debit card. And Amazon is great. If you receive a defective disc, you can return the set and get it exchanged.

Quantum Crush,

I can help you there, the best place to buy them from within Australia is Ezy Dvd (The website will give you store locations around Australia), they stock the first 4 seasons and season 5 is out in Febuary or if you cant wait that long (for season 5) then Amazon.com or eBay would be the best bet of buying the dvd's online...

You did not mention you are in Australia. It is helpful to put at least a general Location in your profile.

I don't live in Australia, I live in Pennsylvania. Sorry, I just registered with this forum a few days ago and didn't have time to fill in my profile yet. I will do it now. I am just thinking of buying the dvds from Australia because they seem to not have as many issues as other regions and they aren't double sided discs. I was going to either buy them online from a store over there or find someone in Australia to buy them for me and ship them here. I don't really know a safe way to do that though, I guess.

According to:

http://www.quantumleap-alsplace.com/mediapages/dvdseasonthree.htm

season 3 region 2 does have the original music, so my question is whether or not it makes a difference to buy from the UK or Australia? Australia seems to be cheaper, but other than that, is there a reason?

feldon30 said:
Please correct me if I am wrong but I believe this is the situation:

There is one set of discs produced in the USA/Canada (Region 1), one set of discs produced in the UK (Region 2), and one set of discs produced in Australia (Region 4).

* Seasons 1 and 5 in Region 1 have the music intact. Seasons 2-4 have substantial music substitutions including key songs. Some find this ruins the enjoyment of many episodes. Some episodes, such as Jimmy, have poor picture and sound quality. Seasons 2-5 are each on 3 double-sided discs.

* Seasons 1, 2, 5 (?) in Region 2 have the music intact. All 5 seasons are on individual discs.

* Seasons 1, 2, 3, 5 (?) in Region 4 have the music intact. All 5 seasons are on individual discs.

If you have a multi-region, multi-format (PAL/NTSC) DVD player and care about the music, then you might consider buying season 1 US, season 2 UK, season 3 Aus, season 5 US, and then wait and see on the long shot that season 4 is re-released with the music intact.

Note that PAL DVDs are recorded 4% slower to fit American 24fps film onto PAL's 25fps standard. This affects the audio and some people find the lowered semitone objectionable.

Note also that season 5 has not been released in the UK and Australia so the music may have been affected there.