How far have you traveled for a Con?

Avilos

Project QL Intern
Nov 22, 2008
Wisconsin
www.facebook.com
I noticed that there are going to be a lot of international visitors to the convention. I think that is AMAZING! I love it! Quantum Leap must mean a lot to you to come that far.

To everyone - What is the farthest you have traveled for a convention?

For me its Los Angeles, coming from Wisconsin. Not just for the Leap Back but for the Star Wars Celebration in La in 2007.

Of course those were both flights. Longest travel time is a different answer. Driving to the small town of Metropolis, IL which took 8 hours. I did that 8 times over the course of the 90s. As you may have guessed by the name there is a Superman Museum and convention there every summer.

Well, this Con wil be the farthest I ever travel (or probably will travel). It doesn't matter that it's by flight :p
It'll take almost 24 hours to arrive to LA from Israel (via Spain).
This will also be my first "real" Con. Not that I don;t like the fan cons we have in Israel (at which I was a part of management for about 7 years)... but a *real* con is hwere you have stars to mingle/talk to, activities that really relate to the Con subject & more.
At our annual con the most we have is an occasioal guest from abroad (not always a known one,but never an actor... either authors or producers or directors... & they usually pay for their own stay.. except for Neil Gaiman :-D ), at best we have one good performance (a play or a musical) & lots & lots of episodes & lectures...

I'm really looking forward to this Con!!!!!

Ok this is will be the farthest I have ever travelled for a convention because, hey I'm pretty much exactly the other side of the world. I have never been to any other conventions and I think this will be my only one.

Metropolis's Superman Celebration is really just a local summer festival with a few Superman stars.

Of course the Star Wars Con was HUGE but I felt overwhelmed! There was too much to see and do at the same time. I missed out on a lot and there was too many people. There are so many segments of Star Wars fandom I really don't get or appeal to me.

So in a way this feels like my first Con too. Because of my interactions with everyone here before. Also because I just love QL so much. I want to see as much as I can. In those other cases I felt like an outsider looking in.

Flying definitely counts! I just meant that getting my parents to drive me for over 8 hours to Con as a teenager took a lot of convincing on my part.

I can't imagine being on a plane as long as you will need to be Vered. I would have to much pent up energy.

I can't imagine being on a plane as long as you will need to be Vered. I would have to much pent up energy.

lol... no worries.. It's not a full 24 hours & I won't be flying straight out (I'm coming from Israel, not Australia ;):p)

I will have 3 hours on the ground in Spain, but then about 8 hours straight to LA... it'll just fell like the longest day of mu life :roflmao:

Thanks for the concern though. :cheers

As this is my first con it will be my farthest and unless there is another Quantum Leap con it will probably be my one and only. It is also going to take me 3 weeks to get there. I leave Sydney Australia on the 7th of March but I must admit I am taking the scenic route via New York and the mid-west before I land in LA.

Just in case anyone cares, its taking me 48 hours to get there in a plane which includes a 8 hour horror stopover in Japan... ARRRRGGGGHHHH

I care.

Not long now Bex. I have just about found homes for my niece, 3 dogs, budgie, and pot plant. There is alot of organisation when you leave home for 5½ weeks.

Hmm Probably not a good idea to complain about my 45 minute layover in Atlanta huh? Considering most of you have much more to deal with than I! ;)

I am flying Airtran but they don't fly direct from Milwaukee, WI to Los Angeles, WI. There main hub in in Atlanta. My flight leaves from Milwaukee at 6am....
My Dad is driving me but our I live about an hour from the airport. So I going to have to have to wake up REALLY, REALLY early.

I am a night owl. I sometimes have to work really late. As excited as I am I probably won't sleep the night before my flight at all. I am hoping I will be able to sleep on my flights that day.

I going to need a lot of lot of caffeine for our Bowling Trip! |I :hair ;)

Hmm Probably not a good idea to complain about my 45 minute layover in Atlanta huh? Considering most of you have much more to deal with than I! ;)

I am flying Airtran but they don't fly direct from Milwaukee, WI to Los Angeles, WI. Their main hub is in Atlanta. My flight leaves from Milwaukee at 6am....
My Dad is driving me but I live about an hour from the airport. So I going to have to have to wake up REALLY, REALLY early.

I am a night owl. I sometimes have to work really late. As excited as I am I probably won't sleep the night before my flight at all. I am hoping I will be able to sleep on my flights that day.

I going to need a LOT of caffeine for our Bowling Trip! |I :hair ;)

Last edited:
I care.

Not long now Bex. I have just about found homes for my niece, 3 dogs, budgie, and pot plant. There is alot of organisation when you leave home for 5½ weeks.

I KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ring me tonight honey or txt me your home number as I need to get some money off you... :lol And fax you the final itinerary as i have booked those 2 extra nights at the hotel for us.

Luv Ya

Im lucky in that i managed to get a straight through flight from the UK at the times i wanted. My only problem is i have to wait for my brother and sister in law to fly in from Ireland first so i can give them the keys to my car and they can drive to my house as they will be stopping there while im away. Hmm i just hope there not delayed or there could be trouble:p

I hope all your flights and stop overs go well and cant wait to meet you all in march.:hurray:

I am flying Airtran but they don't fly direct from Milwaukee, WI to Los Angeles, WI. Their main hub is in Atlanta. My flight leaves from Milwaukee at 6am....
My Dad is driving me but I live about an hour from the airport. So I going to have to have to wake up REALLY, REALLY early.

I going to need a LOT of caffeine for our Bowling Trip! |I :hair ;)
Almost perfect ditto from me.

I'm flying American, but they don't fly direct from Birmingham to LA. I will fly BHM to DFW (Dallas-Fort Worth, TX), layover for a couple of hours, and then proceed to BUR (Bob Hope Airport in Burbank). My flight leaves BHM at 6:50am. :alien

Perfect ditto on this part:
As far as caffeine, I avoid caffeine on a regular basis, so I don't know how I would react to consuming caffeine and then driving a bunch of Aussies and Brits around LA. :b (Kidding, of course! ;) )

This will not be my longest trip, by far, nor will it be my first flight. I have flown Atlanta, GA to San Francisco, CA, which was 5 hours. However, I was with family, and this trip will be solo.

I actually prefer to keep all four (or two) wheels on the ground whenever possible. I am prone to airsickness... :x

Oh, and to answer the original question, I have never been to a convention, unless you count a hamfest as a convention; in which case I've been to quite a few.

Bottom of Australia for me, 16-17 hours including an hour legstretch at Auckland New Zealand where I tend to load up with kiwi-fruit chocolate at the airport. I've done this trip a few times. I'm going first to Las Vegas so I can do the Area 51 tour and see a Barry Manilow concert. After the con, a few days pottering around alone, and my stepmother wants me to contact some relatives she has in the region. I'm only away for 10 days. Budget will be exhausted by then , and I'll want to go home anyway.
The furthest I ever went for a con was the London Expo in 2004, and it was so worth it. I met Connor Trinneer, Dominic Keating and Robert Patrick. The closest I ever went was 5 minutes away when Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy (Dr.Who) came to Geelong. I went to Star Trek's 40th. in 2006. Never thought I'd get the chance to see Scotto again!:hurray:

I travel to Europe 2-3 times a year to work cons. Farthest: probably Italy. I may be doing one in Japan soon and I'm speaking at the launch of Majel's and Gene's ashes into space in THE MARSHAL ISLANDS next year so that may top all my flights. *sigh*

I may be doing one in Japan soon and I'm speaking at the launch of Majel's and Gene's ashes into space in THE MARSHAL ISLANDS next year so that may top all my flights. *sigh*

Oh... poor you... speaking at a major event like the launch of the greatest creator o all times.. boo-hoo... :wacko:p