Inter-show leaping

Lightning McQueenie

Project QL Intern
Dec 8, 2005
I thought this might be a good place to discuss TV shows where there have been special effects similar to those used on Quantum Leap, or even where you've found Quantum Leap spoofs.

Of course we all know about the "Quantum Leap in other shows" section of the video library in this site so I won't repeat them, instead you could just go to http://quantumleap-alsplace.com/videolibrary/QLonTVshows.htm and view for yourself.

The first TV show I will mention is an animated Christmas special of the Nutcracker, and in a scene where the girl is haunted by an owl, the owl turns white and transforms into her godfather. When I saw this I immediately thought "Quantum Leap".

For fans of Charmed, When the whitelighters (guardian angels like Leo, Paige, Wyatt, Chris etc) orb (teleport) they become surrounded by blue/white light and disappear, which is very similar to how Sam leaps.

Have any of you seen shows where something has reminded you of Quantum Leap?

There was a two parter of Star Trek Enterprise called "Storm Front" that was so much like QL i was laughing the whole way thru. It was a time travel episode, and there was a portal where the alien creatures walked thru to time travel, and it was almost the exact same blue firey haze in when Sam leaps. There were also several other QL similarities that I can't remember right now, since its been a while since i have seen them, but it was pretty much QL-ish the entire way thru the two eps, it was great.

Samantha Beckett

I remember a show back in the early 90s called Time Trax that used to remind me of Quantum Leap. From what I remember, it revolved around a cop (at least, I think he was a cop) that traveled through time via a government owned time machine called Trax. When he'd arrive at any given time period, he had a gadget disguised as a credit card which activated a holographic projection of a female helper.

Ooooh me and my brother talked about this, before he started telling me how the next QL season would be if he wrote it, and i laughed at him saying he's imagined playing the part he wrote. Anyway i'd love this idea, even if it's only ever once. Like mixing Charmed with Angel, because that would totally work. Just what would i like to see QL merged with, god i'll think about it but right now my mind's swish cheesed...

Samantha Beckett said:
There was a two parter of Star Trek Enterprise called "Storm Front" that was so much like QL i was laughing the whole way thru. It was a time travel episode, and there was a portal where the alien creatures walked thru to time travel, and it was almost the exact same blue firey haze in when Sam leaps. There were also several other QL similarities that I can't remember right now, since its been a while since i have seen them, but it was pretty much QL-ish the entire way thru the two eps, it was great.

Samantha Beckett

"Storm Front" was the conclusion to the story arc regarding the Temporal Cold War that had spanned the entire series since the premier episode. There were several other episodes in which Capt. Archer was brought either forward or backward (generally forward) through time if only for a brief time. In all instances though, it wasn't so much for him to bring about a change in whatever time period he was brought to but in some instances to protect him and in others to try to influence what he planned to do in the present.

jmoniz said:
"Storm Front" was the conclusion to the story arc regarding the Temporal Cold War that had spanned the entire series since the premier episode. There were several other episodes in which Capt. Archer was brought either forward or backward (generally forward) through time if only for a brief time. In all instances though, it wasn't so much for him to bring about a change in whatever time period he was brought to but in some instances to protect him and in others to try to influence what he planned to do in the present.

Was it really? Gah, curses upon UPN! They jump around so many episodes from season to season that I can't really follow whats going on when it comes to arcs and general multi-ep plots. I remember seeing the "previously on Star Trek Enterprise" thing and seeing Archer in some sort of white orb-like space station that exploded. I was like, "I have NEVER seen anything like that before, especially not last week!" lol.

The whole time travel thing in any series catches my attention. I know Jennie and I share this liking for this show, but I love Phil of the Future. Brief synopsis: Phil Diffy and his family are from the year 2121 and while on vacation in a rented time machine, it beaks down in the year 2005. There, end of synopsis. Anyways, there was this episode in which Phil and his best friend Keely carve in a tree "Phil and Keely Forever" and they then do some sort of flashback (or "flash-forward" I should say) to the 22nd century to Phil's mom and dad and we see them write their names "forever" and such. They then pan up the tree trunk and about 50 or so feet up you see where Phl and Keely carved their message. The whole time progression, this is how the future was affected by this one act thing, hehe.

Samantha Beckett

UPN's tendency to show Enterprise out of sequence is driving me crazy. When I started watching, I couldn't figure out what was going on because episodes seemed to contradict each other. I finally had to search for a web site with an episode guide to help me keep things straight.

Now that it's being syndicated for some weird reason I can't fathom it's being Enterprise is being shown out of order. I don't bother with it, though, since I've got all 4 seasons on DVD so I just watch it that way.

The Temporal Cold War arc, though wasn't something that came up in just successive episodes - it was an idea that spanned the first three seasons and would occassionally be a part of an episode. Other than "Stormfront", the only other episode that's coming to mind right away that was also set completely in a different time period was "Carpenter Street" where Archer and T'Pol travelled back to present day earth.

Star Trek as a franchise has made use of time travelling frequently. The Deep Space Nine episodes "Past Tense I & II", for example, take place on earth just slightly in our future.

When I started watching, I couldn't figure out what was going on because episodes seemed to contradict each other.
That could have nothing to do with seeing episodes out of order. There are actually a few episodes that do outright contradict each other - I'm not sure what the writers were thinking. For example in either the episode "Borderland" or "Cold Station 12" Archer says that his father died when he was 12 and that for the last two years of his life often didn't recognize him. About 5 episodes later in the episode "Daedalus" Archer talks about what his father told him before he began flight school. I'm going to say it's safe to assume he probably wasn't doing that at the age of 10.

jmoniz said:
That could have nothing to do with seeing episodes out of order. There are actually a few episodes that do outright contradict each other - I'm not sure what the writers were thinking. For example in either the episode "Borderland" or "Cold Station 12" Archer says that his father died when he was 12 and that for the last two years of his life often didn't recognize him. About 5 episodes later in the episode "Daedalus" Archer talks about what his father told him before he began flight school. I'm going to say it's safe to assume he probably wasn't doing that at the age of 10.

:) It's all that time-traveling. Maybe someone changed the past so that Archer would have more time with his father...