Old 07-25-2008, 09:40 PM   #26
Sam's Crow
Assistant to Gooshie

I just daydream to sleep, if you get me, but I'm either too awake or too uncomfortable.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:00 PM   #27
AlyssaCalavicci
Imaging Chamber Technician

Sounds like me sometimes do you have Bendryls or something that could make you sleep I use to take them before and they knocked me out
Old 07-26-2008, 01:09 AM   #28
ohboy
Junior Leaper

I remember one time taking some natural herb that was supposed to aid in sleep. I don't remember if it worked, but something that might help sleep (just a suggestion) is herbal tea.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:35 AM   #29
Sam's Crow
Assistant to Gooshie

This is something I tried ages ago and it worked, I should try it again. People say that coffee is supposed to make you more awake and alert, but if you just make a strong cup of coffee and just inhale the aroma (even slowly drink it if you like), you feel tired and you fall asleep almost as soon as your head hits the pillow.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:19 AM   #30
leaper1
PQL Security Staff

I've suffered sleepless nights for around fifteen years.
Got into a habit of waking frequently when the kids had whooping cough, which with asthma to complicate it meant six months of being disturbed every twenty minutes or so.
It was partly this which got me writing fanfic, since thinking of plots was better than being frustrated at not being able to sleep.
Of course on the other hand friends say I don't sleep now due to a guilty conscience over all the cruel things I do to Sam in my stories!

Somebody recommended camomile tea to help me sleep as it is supposed to relax you.
It doesn't help me sleep, but I think it makes me less stressed about being awake!

Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God.(Leo Buscaglia) Helen in Bedford
leaper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 11:29 AM   #31
Sherdran
Observer's Aid

First off, I'm not gloating when I say I rarely have trouble falling asleep. And perhaps you may roll your eyes at the suggestion (as I did the first time it was offered to me) of trying the old-fashioned remedy of slowly sipping a glass of warm (not hot) plain milk before going to bed, but it *does* work. I've tried it from time to time and, at least for me, it really does work. You might also want to sip that warm milk while sitting in a quiet room (with the TV, radio, video game, etc. turned off to give your mind a chance to wind down from all the stimulus) before you go to bed.

As I've mentioned earlier, on the few occasions when I've tried it, it has worked every time. On the other hand, if can't stand milk, or if you're lactose intolerant, no way would this help. But, again, it's just a helpfully offered suggestion.

Eleiece

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Friends are the Jell-O of life - there's always room for more."
Sherdran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 03:46 PM   #32
AlyssaCalavicci
Imaging Chamber Technician

I have heard that warm milk can do that to I fell asleep last night again and manage to get more than 10 hours sleep I dont know how I did it maybe it could have been the coffee sometimes that dose make me sleepy as well. I hope you got some sleep last night Crow ((Hugs))
Old 07-26-2008, 04:40 PM   #33
Sam's Crow
Assistant to Gooshie

*Returns hug* Yeah, I managed to get an hour or so. Thanks.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:51 PM   #34
Snish
Observer's Aid

I have tried nearly everything over the years--except warm milk, actually. I've used camomile tea, valerian, melatonin, and one prescription sleep aid (which knocked me out cold the first night, then never worked again). None of those things continued to work for very long. I've listened to all the advice about cutting down on caffeine and keeping the bed only for sleeping--no reading in bed, no TV in the bedroom, etc.

For me, the thing that works best is doing yoga stretches before bedtime. Getting vigorous exercise during the day helps too. It takes time to learn yoga, but I think it's well worth the investment. If you're really stressed about something it may not help, but generally, being physically relaxed is the best preparation for sleep, at least for me.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:57 AM   #35
Bexter
Observer's Aid

I'm with snish, I have tried so many things but they don't seem to work for long. Its such a hard one isn't it, there was an article I read in the readers digest at the dentist that gave some magic advice but I can't remember what it said. Maybe its about time I made another appointment.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:54 AM   #36
Sam's Crow
Assistant to Gooshie

Warm milk, with a pinch of sugar and a pinch of cinnamon. Try it if you're suffering from insomnia. It works every now and then for me.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:24 PM   #37
Aurora Illusions
Waiting Room Visitor

For a few years I have been practicing a dreaming technique..and when you practice dreaming..you practice sleeping :P Also, i myself have had tons of stress lately and if i don't do these techniques..i don't sleep at all. They help me, i hope they help you somehow.

What helps me is:

Lay in a comfortable position and visualize climbing stairs. count 1- I'm going to sleep 2- I'm going to sleep etc.. etc.. in your head for every step you take. -----It usually can take as long as 20minutes to fall asleep though. Oh, and occasionally if you REALLY can't sleep, this method convinces your body that you mind is asleep and it will go into sleep paralysis. You will feel a tingling feeling all through your body when in this state..and it can be scary for some people.

Concentrate on your breathing. Breath in for a count of 1 second, hold it, and let it out for one second. then move to 2, and three and four, and so on. I normally stop at eight or so and either go back to three or go to the method mentioned above.---This is more of a relaxation technique..to help your mind and body relax.

Maybe take a warm bath before you sleep, and maybe try some Kava Tea..it works wonders.

Good luck
Old 08-20-2008, 04:35 PM   #38
Bexter
Observer's Aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora Illusions
For a few years I have been practicing a dreaming technique..and when you practice dreaming..you practice sleeping :P Also, i myself have had tons of stress lately and if i don't do these techniques..i don't sleep at all. They help me, i hope they help you somehow.

What helps me is:

Lay in a comfortable position and visualize climbing stairs. count 1- I'm going to sleep 2- I'm going to sleep etc.. etc.. in your head for every step you take. -----It usually can take as long as 20minutes to fall asleep though. Oh, and occasionally if you REALLY can't sleep, this method convinces your body that you mind is asleep and it will go into sleep paralysis. You will feel a tingling feeling all through your body when in this state..and it can be scary for some people.

Concentrate on your breathing. Breath in for a count of 1 second, hold it, and let it out for one second. then move to 2, and three and four, and so on. I normally stop at eight or so and either go back to three or go to the method mentioned above.---This is more of a relaxation technique..to help your mind and body relax.

Maybe take a warm bath before you sleep, and maybe try some Kava Tea..it works wonders.

Good luck
I'm going to print this out and try it, I'm reading this at 4.30am because guess what!!!! I can't sleep AGAIN!! Last night i had about 2 hours and tonight 3.5, I just thought I'd get up, get ready for work and then sit in a comfy position on the couch, if I go back to sleep for a while then BONUS!!
Old 08-20-2008, 05:06 PM   #39
Sam's Crow
Assistant to Gooshie

I've noticed that the people on here who have trouble sleeping are mainly female. Do any of the men have tips?

Aurora, I'll try that thanks.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:39 PM   #40
Aurora Illusions
Waiting Room Visitor

Bexter- I hope it helps you

And your welcome Sam's Crow.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:32 PM   #41
Al R.
Waiting Room Visitor

these have probably been suggested but try getting a nice book, a warm drink of hot chochlate and read until yur eyes cant stand it, then close yur eyes for a bit and maybe that will work

hope it helps

Alllan =]
Old 09-23-2008, 08:04 PM   #42
Errowyn
Observer's Aid

Sometimes when I can't sleep I'll either get up and start working on some story of mine on my computer until I start getting drowsy.

Other times I'll make myself some tea or hot chocolate and read a book until I get sleepy. On average it only takes me an hour or so until I get tired enough to go back to sleep.
--The Highway Man
Errowyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:56 AM   #43
angvav
Temporary Account

You know what I do when I can't sleep?

Stay up till 3 or 4 in the morning.

I'd be so tired i'm asleep in 5 minutes.

Naturally I watch QL all night

Old 09-29-2008, 10:59 AM   #44
ohboy
Junior Leaper

I wasn't going to mention this, but then I remember that it would apply to you , Crow, since you're in school. If you can't sleep, work on homework. I've done that many times, and usually I nod off after a while doing some thinking. Just a suggestion, but if you can't sleep, you might as well get something done, right?
Old 09-29-2008, 08:41 PM   #45
Sam's Crow
Assistant to Gooshie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohboy
I wasn't going to mention this, but then I remember that it would apply to you , Crow, since you're in school. If you can't sleep, work on homework. I've done that many times, and usually I nod off after a while doing some thinking. Just a suggestion, but if you can't sleep, you might as well get something done, right?
Yeah, I do my homework when I can't sleep (most of the time).
Old 09-30-2008, 12:19 PM   #46
Errowyn
Observer's Aid

We do what works.

I'm suddenly reminded of the time I almost fell asleep in math class... Though taking care of the little monster kitten I've got usually helps me sleep well through the night.
--The Highway Man
Old 09-30-2008, 02:16 PM   #47
leaper1
PQL Security Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errowyn
Though taking care of the little monster kitten I've got usually helps me sleep well through the night.
We too have a little monster kitten, but he doesn't help with my sleeping problems!

Hurricane Henry came into our lives on 19th July as a six week old ball of half starved bedraggled fluff that my sister in law found wandering down the middle of the road dodging the traffic.
His mission in life seems to be to wreak havoc all over the house and leave distruction in his wake, but he's cute, so he gets forgiven almost everything.

Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God.(Leo Buscaglia) Helen in Bedford
Old 09-30-2008, 02:17 PM   #48
Sam's Crow
Assistant to Gooshie

Thanks, for everything. My insomnia is slightly better than it used to be now.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:43 PM   #49
Errowyn
Observer's Aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaper1
We too have a little monster kitten, but he doesn't help with my sleeping problems!

Hurricane Henry came into our lives on 19th July as a six week old ball of half starved bedraggled fluff that my sister in law found wandering down the middle of the road dodging the traffic.
His mission in life seems to be to wreak havoc all over the house and leave distruction in his wake, but he's cute, so he gets forgiven almost everything.
Do you think him and Merlin could've been seperated at birth? Merlin is about eight weeks now and is full of energy when it's not too hot.

He's half siamese and half something else, we think tabby. He loves people's toes for reasons only known to him.

Mom got him because a lady she knows couldn't take care of him. He was about ten days old and his eyes had just opened. He was mellow then but once he learned how to walk it was less than a day before he learned how to run.

He's a smart little kitten. Despite his habbit of destroying everything he can get his jaws around we all love him.
--The Highway Man
Old 09-30-2008, 04:52 PM   #50
leaper1
PQL Security Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errowyn
Do you think him and Merlin could've been seperated at birth? Merlin is about eight weeks now and is full of energy when it's not too hot.

He's half siamese and half something else, we think tabby. He loves people's toes for reasons only known to him.

Mom got him because a lady she knows couldn't take care of him. He was about ten days old and his eyes had just opened. He was mellow then but once he learned how to walk it was less than a day before he learned how to run.

He's a smart little kitten. Despite his habbit of destroying everything he can get his jaws around we all love him.
Horrid Henry is a long haired black and white no-breed, so I don't think they are siblings, but definitely kindred spirits.

Add me to msn, or whatever you have - I'm on most of them - and we can swap kitty tales and pics without boring the non-kitty people here.