QL Time Lines for fanfilm

Kirok

Project QL Intern
Hey Folks,

I’m putting the finishing touches on the QL fanfilm, and I had a few questions about the overall dynamics of the QL universe. Specifically, I was wondering…
  1. When (or around when) did Sam make his first leap into Tom Stratton? I believe it was 1995 when Sam first made his leap.
  2. If QL ended its TV run in 1993, how many years passed (in Sam & Al’s time) between ‘Genesis’ to ‘Mirror Image’? I watched ‘LHO’ the other day and it said ‘February 1999’, so I assume that ‘Mirror Image’ happened later that year?
  3. In the script, I have a specific scene in which Sam asks a direct question to Al about the project. (Summing up the scenario, Sam doubts it’s the real Al he sees in a hologram, so he asks him a question that Al could only answer.) What do you think Sam would ask?
That’s about all I can think of for now. Thanks for any clarifications or ideas.

I’ll be finishing up the first draft later tonight, and after that… well, if anyone is interested in reading it, please let me know. All I would ask is that you please don’t distribute it around. I would like to keep some of it ‘spoiler’ free! :)

Thanks!
Chris

I know there has been lots of discussion on the timeline for Leaps, but I don't remember in which threads right off-hand. In The Leap Back, Al does state that the date is September 18, 1999. (Why I remember that tidbit from the episode is beyond me. Memory can be a strange thing.)

As far as your question question, I don't have anything jumping out at me at this moment, but I'll mull it over and let you know if I come up with anything. :)

In the script, I have a specific scene in which Sam asks a direct question to Al about the project. (Summing up the scenario, Sam doubts it’s the real Al he sees in a hologram, so he asks him a question that Al could only answer.) What do you think Sam would ask?

How about as a nod to the original series....

In "Catch a Falling Star" Al states that Sam played music from "Man of La Mancha" when they were building the project. I can't recall the exact quote, but it was something like 'it was the only cd you played'.

So Sam could ask Al what his favorite piece of music had been at that time, to which the correct response would be "The Impossible Dream".

Just an idea.

Kirok said:

1. When (or around when) did Sam make his first leap into Tom Stratton? I believe it was 1995 when Sam first made his leap.
  2. If QL ended its TV run in 1993, how many years passed (in Sam & Al’s time) between ‘Genesis’ to ‘Mirror Image’? I watched ‘LHO’ the other day and it said ‘February 1999’, so I assume that ‘Mirror Image’ happened later that year?
  3. In the script, I have a specific scene in which Sam asks a direct question to Al about the project. (Summing up the scenario, Sam doubts it’s the real Al he sees in a hologram, so he asks him a question that Al could only answer.) What do you think Sam would ask?
1. Sam did first leap in 1995. It's handy to use a date in May, because in the pilot Al mentions going to a Lakers playoff game that went into overtime. There actually was such a game on May 16, 1995 in San Antonio, TX. If you need an exact day when Sam leaped, I would use May 13.

2. When they gave dates for episodes in season 5, they were all in 1999, so I would use a date late in 1999 for Mirror Image. (They also used 1999 in The Leap Back, which wouldn't work with the season 5 dates, but it's easier to disregard one ep. than a whole season.)

3. Helen's suggestion is pretty good (and I don't have a better one).

Woo - May 16 - my birthday!!!

I think a good question for Sam to ask Al is what was Al doing when they met.

In "Play Ball" (Ep 402) Sam mentions that he met Al when Al was taking his anger out on a vending machine.

Chris, if you'd like input on the script, I'd be happy to take a look at it. (I was a Writers Guild of America intern at ST:TNG, so I'm familiar with screenplay structure, pacing, that sort of thing; as well as dialogue, the voices of the characters, and so on.) And I will keep it "under wraps" for you.

If you're letting people read the script, I'd love to see it. I'm not too familiar with script writing, so I don't know what kind of advice I could give, but I can tell you my general impression of the story.