Why We Still Love Quantum Leap

ohboy

Project QL Intern
May 27, 2008
Northern California
I'm sure that we've all seen numerous television shows in our lives. Some shows, we watch ten minutes in, and then change the channel. Other times, we'll watch a few episodes, and then lose interest. Even still, there are some shows that we may watch almost through or completely through, but lose interest after that. But there are a few shows that we just love, and keep watching over and over, year after year.

I started watching Quantum Leap in the Spring of 2008, probably almost two years ago. I watched it on ION Televison in the usual fashion that reruns are displayed. It left sometime in the Summer of that year, and then returned either late that year, or early into the next year (I'm sorry; my memory is a bit foggy). Between those times, I obtained the full DVD set, and watch a few episodes occassionally. However, just recently, I've decided to start rewatching the series, one a night or as best as I can.

My question to all the fans here are not why we love Quantum Leap, so this isn't really a question to newcomers that just started getting into the show. Rather, why do we keep coming back to it, why do we still watch the show and think of it as one of our favorites. Being here since May, I've seen a few recurring members, people who have been here long before I have, and I've seen those that stay a while, and then go on their way and never return (probably after finishing the show, and then not really having renewed interest in it). Yet, as I was just posting again in another discussion about the Bartender's parting words with Sam, I realized that people still have vigor and love for the show. It also came up that Quantum Leap can mean different things to different people. Therefore, I thought it would be interesting to hear the different reasons why Quantum Leap is so great.

I'll start, I suppose. I think what originally drew me to Quantum Leap was the premise of it. It was unique, and somehow seemed to pique my attention. But what kept me watching was the different situations, and the friendship between Sam and Al. Despite everything, Sam never gave up, and even through the hard times and the fights, Al always remained loyal to Sam, doing what he had to do to help the project stay alive and be Sam's information brorker and only means of emotional support.

The reason that I just started watching it again, and am still a fan two years later, is for that reason. Everytime I watch an episode, the message seems to change a little as life experiences do. Witnessing life through the eyes of different people, from exciting murder cases and adventures in Egypt and Vietnam, to the simple acts of helping a friend overcome depression from breaking up with a boyfriend and convincing a town to accept an unmarried pregnant woman, to the odd tasks of making rain fall on a town or fighting "vampires", Quantum Leap is a show that chronicles the lives of random people that all have stories to tell. Even those that come off as mean, or those that come off as nice, can often times be deceiving. To me, it gives perspective on life, and every message from every show can say something to us. When I rewatched the first few episodes, I could relate to Sam's character in a way, evne though I'd never been an air-force pilot or an English Literature professor. And oddly enough, I was surprised how "new" the episodes always come off, after I've thought that I've seen them.

So what about the rest of you? What keeps you coming back and watching Quantum Leap, rather every day, once in a while, or even just on special occassions like Christmas or the famous B*ggieman episode on Halloween?

I always find something new in an ep when I watch it again. I didn't have seen every ep more than one time, but some eps - like Catch a falling star, Kamikazi Kid or M.I.A - I've seen many times. I like the friendship between Sam and Al and how they act together. I'm always feeling with them, especially when they are sad. QL is very emotional. It chains me again every time I watch it. And it always gives me a good feeling, even if it's a sad ep. I think the main reason that I still love QL and watch the eps again and again is that I still have Sam in my heart since I saw him the first time. It was love at first sight when I was 16 years old. :eek: :D So QL is related to my youth and I feel so young when I watch it. I think these people, who still watch it, don't see only a TV-Show. They see more in it and it has a meaning for their lifes.