1003 Quake

Quake

• 5 ? This is an excellent episode! One of my personal favorites!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2 ? This episode was like the neutral zone ? I am indifferent.

• 1 ? Bellisario would be rolling in his grave if he had one.

• Total voters

QL Damsel

Al's Place / TVS & QR & Radio Files Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2002
Near Austin Texas
www.quantumleap-alsplace.com
Quake
August 23, 1957

Sierra Nevada Mountains, California

Four college students have a rendezvous with death unless Sam can change their course through the Sierra Nevada Mountains.

Written by: Douglas Laird

Thanks,
TVS Team

Last edited by a moderator:
Our rating system this season consisted of six raters! We took the average of six raters and came up with an average for that episode.

Based on ratings of 10 being the highest and 1 being the lowest, the average of this episode was: 8.0

Some of the comments given were:

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Valery S. Gemini said:
I've been into QL fanfic for many years, so now I must have read (and stored on my hard disk!) almost everything ever published... but strangely I don't remember having already encountered a story told from "a leapee's friend" POV - this was very original and refreshing.

Besides, is Doug a Dallas fan? There's too many similarities in the characters' names to be "just a coincidence": we have Barnes, John Ross, Bobby and Pamela!

Just a little disappointment: I thought this story was slightly too short, it should have been 1 or 2 parts longer - I'd have loved to have, for ex. more discussions between this group of friends about the future as seen by "Val" (who could have imagined in 1957 how a company like IBM would develop, etc.)

But this was a very enjoyable reading anyway.

RATING: 8.0

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Sporty said:
I liked the idea of the story from the perspective of one of the participants, nice touch! Great story!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Morris Finkle said:
I agree with Valerie. I felt the story was a bit short and lacking in... 'something.' I do agree that telling the story from the perspective of someone else who sees Sam as the person he leaped into was a very interesting concept; one I wouldn't mind being attempted again (and it looks like it will be with AJ's next story "A Flying Leap").

It might have been the absence of the Observer in the story and not finding out from Al the fates of the characters in the future that threw me off a bit. Also, since the story was told from the perspective of Pam, I read all of Sam's dialogue as if it was Val's, since she would see him as Val. So, to me at least, Sam and Al weren't in the story and it didn't quite 'feel' like QL.

However, having read Doug's past work, I know that he is a talented writer, even when he writes something a little less traditionally than normal. (His next story "Full Circle" sounds very interesting.) So, I give this story an even 7 for the attempt at a 'different' QL story. :)

RATING: 7.0

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Seeker said:
I have to agree with the other raters that this episode was unique in the POV (point of view) from which it was written. It took me a few paragraphs to get into the swing of it, but after that it was easy to follow. I must also agree with my fellow raters in that the story could have used a bit more fleshing out. All that being said, I still enjoyed "Quake" very much. I've read many of Doug's stories and enjoyed them all, this one included.

Well done, Doug!

RATING: 8.85

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Sparky said:
I give Quake an 8. I like the point of view.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Kazzi said:
Unable to rate.

RATING: NR

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Now, it's your opportunity to rate this particular story. Let the author(s) know how you rate this story. If you'd like to give feedback, please go ahead and leave a reply!

Thanks!
The Virtual Seasons Team

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought it was really neat to see the leap from an entirely different point of view. Very well done, Doug! When I read the leap-in last week("The Final Solution") I was very confused and dreading the next episode, but you know what they say; Don't judge a book by its cover.

I loved it.
~Steve(aka RossBeckett)
:D

I quite agree with Steve about the different perspective.
I read the prologue and was intrigued at the originality of the approach.
Kudos to you for that, Doug.
Unfortunately, I have to say that I was disappointed with the story over all.
What was there was great, the danger and the solution were fine, but I felt it lacked something in depth and descriptiveness. It needed 'fleshing out a bit'.
Please don't be offended by this Doug, I would hope that other people would/will be as honest with my work, or we can never grow as writers.

A very intruiging idea, Doug, as Helen and Steve said. I enjoyed the dialogue between everyone, however, like Helen said, there wasn't very much description going on. It was more like reading a dialogue than a story.

Now, I'm not trying to be mean or harsh, I'm just giving you constructive criticism. As Helen said, if we aren't honest with each other, we'll never improve our writings. You had a great idea behind the story, but as I read, I never felt like I could get into it just reading what was being said. In the beginning you had some nice descriptions, but they started to come far and few between.

Just some helpful hints for your next story!

... Mike. ^_^

Sorry Dougie but couldn't even finish reading your story. To me this didn't feel like quantum leap at all. To top it off no Sam & no Al. Good try though.

~Brian