Attention all Lord of the Rings fans!!!

Clara5

Project QL Intern
Nov 6, 2003
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Well, I know that the Academy Awards are only due until tomorrow, so we will finally know how many Oscars the movie will win, but I forgot to write a message about something that happened to me last Monday the 23rd.

I went with my best friend at a concert. A concert of the symphonic version of the music of the LOTR trilogy, in six movements. But that wasn't the best... the best was that it was directed by Mr. Howard Shore HIMSELF!!! (For any of you who don't know yet, it's the guy who composed the whole thing.) Well, needless to say it was AWESOME!!! :p Too bad you weren't there... Our seats were in the middle of the second row.... it was awesome because we could see almost every musician's face, and see the passion in M. Shore when he directed. It really impressed me to realise I wasn't hearing it from a recording, but LIVE, and that everyone in the orchestra was contributing to the wonderful music we heard, and that the guy that had thought of every single note that every single instrument played was right there in front of me, standing a mere 5 meters away from where I was sitting. Needless to say, I LOVED it.

Now, don't you whish you were there with me? Too bad you don't live in Montreal, sooooo saaaaadddd........ ;) Well, too bad you couldn't leap into someone that was watching the concert just for time it lasted so you could be here. Well, anyways, I just wanted to share this incredible experience with you, since I know some of you here are fans of the movies, and I know you will be able to understand what I could have felt. And most of all, you can be assured that I will go buy the soundtrack as soon as I get enough money to...

Well, gotta calm myself down, or I will not be able to stop myself blabbering every single detail of the concert here, so I will breathe deeply and wait for your answers.

Clara

Well, I thought there were people who liked Lord of the Rings in here... Guess not, since only ONE person answered.

Well, I was just writing to express my profound happiness at the triumph of LOTR: The Return of the King at the Academy Awadrs on leap day. On eleven nominations, they made a clean sweep, winning eleven Oscars, which tied with the record previously owned by Titanic and Ben-Hur. You can understand very well how happy I am of that, since I am a bit of a LOTR fan. I believe they did deserve every single Oscar they won.

On another tone, I am also very happy that the Canadian movie: Les Invasions Barbares (the Barbaric Invasions) won the Oscar for Best Movie in Foreign Language, a the first canadian movie to win this Award in 76 years of Oscar ceremonies. I also like the joke the woman who spoke to thank people (/%$? can't remember her name...) about LOTR, it was so true... :rollin And last about that movie, I am glad that at least one of the three spoke french, at the very end.

Overall, for me, it was a very pleasant evening that I spent in company of my brother and sister, and I enjoyed every single minute of it (except the commercials, of course). I just whished Johnny Depp would have won for best actor, but thank god, nobody else than Sean Penn won, or I would have been very disappointed, because at least Sean is indeed a very good actor (look at his character in I am Sam).

Tell me what you think about it, and be sure I am overjoyed at the final recognition of the biggest achievement in movie history since a long time, the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Anyways, gotta run now, see ya!!!

Clara

Oh, I was absolutely thrilled with LOTR's clean sweep at the Oscars. But, that thrill was overshadowed a bit by my disappointment that Johnny Depp lost the Best Actor award. Oh, well... I hear his movie "Neverland" is already getting Oscar buzz. And, hey, there's always the MTV Awards coming up!

Joy

That sounds pretty darn cool, Clara! I love the Return of the King soundtrack! That same concert is going to be playing in Seattle, WA this coming July, and I've been thinking about going. Hearing you talk about it has got me all pumped up...I think I'm definitely going! :D Did you get to meet Shore?

I read your post earlier and was going to reply, but I was still brooding about not being able to go to the Return of the One Party (fan-based Oscar celebration for LOTR), and then I was gone for few days. But yeah, this is the second year in a row that I've been planning to go to that darned celebration where something has come up. I had the transportation...everything all planned out...but the person I was going to go with had to cancel at the last minute. I was still trying to find another person to go with and debating on whether or not I should just go by myself when the tickets sold out (15 minutes after they started the ticket sales!). And everyone from LOTR that was at the Oscars went there this year! They all ditched the New Line Cinema party for a fan party. Dom and Billy (Merry and Pippin) each even sang a song on the stage! I watched the "live feed" online, but it just wasn't the same... :(

Ach, I didn't mean to turn this into a pity-post! But man, it would have been so much fun! 2 years I wanted to go...

-Biridox

Oh, yeah, about the Oscars. :D They were great! Some people found the show a bit boring, but I thought it was pretty entertaining! Did anyone else love that "You're boring" song by Jack Black and Will Ferrell? They aren't always my favorite people in the world, but they sure can be funny!

And yup, definitely happy about the 11 Oscar wins by Lord of the Rings.

Ok, I'm going to bed now.

-Biridox

I'm afraid, Krystal, that I'm one of those people who find award shows "boring"... hehe... however, I did spend last Sunday at an Oscar party (with a bunch of new people!), so that was fun.

However, I was surprised at the clean-sweep by LotR:RotK. I also predicted it! <LOL> I won fourth prize... haha...

I'm a big fan of LotR as well, Clara, I just haven't had a chance to answer... and hey, you haven't been on ICQ for a while. Busy at school? That's really cool that you got to see that condert... I think I may purchase the soundtrack as well; the music is amazing!

... Mike. ^_^

The thing that got me is...

how can you have a "Best Picture" without even ONE of the major actors being nominated for a "Best Actor"?

In many ways, these award shows are meaningless... you know that an epic like this would normally go in and just sweep everything.

And like Joy, I felt that Johnny Depp should have gotten best actor. His performance in Pirates Of The Carribean was nothing short of astounding!

Matt