Dec 11th interview with Scott Bakula -- filming in 2007?

Jamiew

Project QL Intern
Nov 10, 2006
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Bold_Leap_Forward

Is this happening now? I know anyone can edit this website, but I hope to God it's true.

A Bold Leap Forward is a sequel series to the 1989/early 90s science fiction series Quantum Leap that currently remains in development.
The idea of a new series has been brought up since 2002 when the Sci Fi Channel announced plans to add first-run programming to its schedule from existing Universal titles. Quantum Leap was specifically cited along with Tremors as potential series. But while Tremors began and ceased production in 2003, the new Quantum Leap series has yet to enter production.

Information about the series is currently limited, but it has been confirmed that Dean Stockwell will be involved with the series, reprising his role of Al Calavicci. Scott Bakula is likely to return as Dr. Samuel Beckett, albeit in a secondary role. In a 2004 interview, scriptwriter Trey Callaway revealed the series was going to follow Sam Beckett's daughter (whom he conceived in the "Trilogy" episodes during the original series' fifth season) trying to find her father and bring him home. [1] Callaway has since left the project, but has completed a two hour script for the Sci Fi Channel which is reportedly still in active development.

On December 11th, 2006, Scott Bakula confirmed on American Radio he is in talks in starring in A Bold Leap Forward. Scott was asked the question about him starring along side Dean Stockwell, which he stated, "I'm in advanced talks with NBC about a possible return on Quantum Leap: A Bold Leap Forward. I was asked about a return about 5 weeks ago, which I stated I would be interested. Dean's pretty much agreed to returning as Al once again, so it should be good. I really enjoyed my time on Quantum Leap. I've read the script for A Bold Leap Forward, and I have to say....., it's really, really good. If you liked the 5th series of Quantum Leap, you'll love this movie, because it has elements of it in this movie - that's all I can say for now." He also was asked if he was going to have a big part in the movie, which he answered, "I'll be returning with a big part in this movie, not just a little part. I really enjoy playing Sam Beckett - he's really fun to play."

According to Scott, they should start shooting the movie sometime in February, 2007.

Whoa. That's got to be the most promising sounding news yet. If this is indeed true (which it sounds like to me), I really wish Don Bellisario or Deborah Pratt would have a hand in it. I don't think it's likely those two would be working together again, but I'd feel better that it would be done right.

:eek OMG!!:eek

If this is true, as QL Nut said, and I am pretty much in agreement that it is not a 'foiler' then PLEASE let it happen, this is what us fans have been waiting for and it would just be fantastic if it was true. :heybaby

Also, December 11th? That's pretty darn recent, so this sounds true.

Does anyone have access to Variety? If this is really happening, it will probably be reported there. I didn't find anything on the website but I don't have a lot of time for searching this morning as I'm supposed to be working right now. The print version might also have news that's not on the website.

Not to throw water on anyone's fire but the only part of this that shows up on Wikipedia is the first two paragraphs. The last portion attributed to Scott isn't there and I do question it's veracity. The thing that really stands out for me is this sentence:

If you liked the 5th series of Quantum Leap, you'll love this movie, because it has elements of it in this movie - that's all I can say for now."

The word series is really striking for me. In the US we use the word "season" not "series" to describe each year of a TV show. Being an American, I doubt Scott would use a term other than season.

Also, what radio station was this? "American Radio" takes in a rather large scope of things and is just to vague.

If you're not seeing the paragraph from Scott, perhaps you are viewing a cached version of the Wiki article.

If Scott has spent any time in the UK he might have picked up calling it a series instead of a season. I'm as skeptical as the next guy and I agree "American Radio" is useless as a source. Awaiting confirmation...

If you're not seeing the paragraph from Scott, perhaps you are viewing a cached version of the Wiki article.
I've never read the article on Wiki previous to today so there shouldn't be a cache. I've also emptied my browsers cache and hit refresh on the page. I still only see the first two paragraphs.

Scott and the UK

I haven't heard of Scott spending a great deal of time in the UK and is unlikely to have picked up the verbiage for what time he has spent there. Not to say it's out of the realm of possibility but I would seem to be improbable.

If indeed he has been approached in the past 5 weeks, then it would be the first time he has been contacted about this since he said categorically at the Star Trek Con in August that he'd NEVER been approached EVER about this. BUT...stranger things have happened and I certainly HOPE this is true.

However...if this were true, I would imagine that the Bakula fan sites would have been buzzing (and the same for the Stockwell sites.) After all, it's now December 13 and if that statement was made on December 11, I don't know HOW it would be missed. Again, stranger things have happened.

I put American Radio in the search and nothing by that name comes up. First hit was Air America. Searching their site for Bakula and Quantum Leap brought up nothing. Then going down to the next American RadioWorks and again, Bakula and Quantum Leap seach comes up with nothing.

Basically, I'd be surprised if anything comes from this. Research is not promising.

jmoniz said:
I've never read the article on Wiki previous to today so there shouldn't be a cache. I've also emptied my browsers cache and hit refresh on the page. I still only see the first two paragraphs.
How odd. I've attached the complete, current entry.

I had to slightly rescale the "This article or section contains information about a scheduled upcoming television series." banner to make small enough to post.

Attachments

• wikipedia_qlleapforward.gif
    wikipedia_qlleapforward.gif
    31.8 KB · Views: 140
I keep getting two versions of the Wikipedia article, the version with the movie news, and the one without.

If this is a prank, then I am seriously going to hunt down whoever is responsible...

The interview seems to have several obvious mistakes.

First it is the SciFi Channel that was planning the sequel, not NBC. So why would Scott be in talks with NBC.

Second, it just doesn't sound like Scott.
I was asked about a return about 5 weeks ago, which I stated I would be interested.
Scott has always said that he was interested and he doesn't use poor grammar.
He also was asked if he was going to have a big part in the movie, which he answered, "I'll be returning with a big part in this movie, not just a little part.
It has always been said that Sam Beckett would have a minor role in this project. The main focus would be Sammy Jo. Would Scott really say "I'll be returning with a big part in this movie, not just a little part."? Scott may give long answers to questions, but not poor answers.

I am afraid someone is writing their wishful thinking. Too bad, I would love to see QL revived with Scott and Dean.

SBeckett said:
The interview seems to have several obvious mistakes.

First it is the SciFi Channel that was planning the sequel, not NBC. So why would Scott be in talks with NBC.

Second, it just doesn't sound like Scott.

Scott has always said that he was interested, and he doesn't use poor grammar.

It has always been said that Sam Beckett would have a minor role in this project. The main focus would be Sammy Jo. Would Scott really say "I'll be returning with a big part in this movie, not just a little part."? Scott may give long answers to questions, but not poor answers.

I am afraid someone is writing their wishful thinking. Too bad, I would love to see QL revived with Scott and Dean.

Because NBC own the rights, that's probably the reason why "Scott" would be in talks with them.

How can you tell if it sounds like a person by writing? Is that even possible? Many written interviews won't make it sound like the person, unless it's an actual video interview.

Grammar and spelling is fine in this written "interview" to me, so I don't know what the heck you're talking about. Also, it's supposed to be a talking interview, so since when does anyone talk with proper grammar in an interview?

Do you realise scripts and storylines can be changed? The fact we haven't heard of any news from Quantum Leap for a very long time, the story could have been changed for all we know.

It really doesn't matter anymore, because the "new news" has been taken off. That more than likely means it's not happening..... well, not for a while.

Lock or delete this topic. There's not really any point to it anymore. Let's move on, shall we?

Thanks.

Grammar and spelling is fine in this written "interview" to me, so I don't know what the heck you're talking about. Also, it's supposed to be a talking interview, so since when does anyone talk with proper grammar in an interview?
Actually, it really isn't which is one of the things that struck me about it. It seems that it may have been written by someone who is not a native English speaker.

How can you tell if it sounds like a person by writing? Is that even possible?

People will have a certain "style" that they talk in. The style of this - whether written or heard - doesn't sound like Scott. Since the article states that it was a radio interview, then if that were true this is a transcription of it and it would retain the same "style" Scott has of speaking.

There's too many suspicious things about this.

jmoniz said:
Actually, it really isn't which is one of the things that struck me about it. It seems that it may have been written by someone who is not a native English speaker.

People will have a certain "style" that they talk in. The style of this - whether written or heard - doesn't sound like Scott. Since the article states that it was a radio interview, then if that were true this is a transcription of it and it would retain the same "style" Scott has of speaking.

There's too many suspicious things about this.

Sometimes when a radio show is writing out an interview, to the one they have done, they would miss out certain words or not give an exact proper of such words used in that radio interview. I've read many interviews that sometimes they won't match the exact radio interview given. That might because they're lazy, I don't know. But it can happen.

It's fake, because it's not there anymore. I wish it were true, but it's simply not, judging by the removal of it.

I suppose we'll be waiting another 5 years for some news about Quantum Leap.

Last edited:
feldon30 said:
If you're not seeing the paragraph from Scott, perhaps you are viewing a cached version of the Wiki article..
Let me just dive in without looking... please pardon all errors and assumptions :eek:

I don't wiki a lot, but my brother does, and they get into these weird reversion wars...

I clicked on the history tab on the aforementioned article and compared two previous versions, and yes, at one point that long section with the alleged radio interview (which, as someone notes, doesn't sound like an American speaking) *is* there.... and then it's not. My guess is someone removed it (well, actually, I *know* that part -- my guess is that someone's reason for removal was "lack of citation" or at least lack of *adequate* citation (an interview on *American radio*?? they couldn't be more specific?))

anyway, that's my guess. though I'd love to know whose creative mind made up that whole long quote.

as you say -- anyone can edit wikipedia. but if its readers are paying attention, "information" with inadequate citations doesn't last long. (also, someone keeps removing my brother's reference to the Scott Bakula song, saying it's irrelevant. Guess wikipedia is a "tough room")

if you want, check out the person who posted the original "alleged" quote and read some of their other entries...

though, really, you won't need to, as I see all of you are on top of it :) (as usual)

Pam (who had to have the board mail me my username, as I'd forgotten it)

see also, the Talk page on this entry
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:A_Bold_Leap_Forward

Last edited:
LadyKayoss said:
If this is a prank, then I am seriously going to hunt down whoever is responsible...

I second that. Is it weird that I've been having dreams about watching the QL movie since ten years ago? And waking up absolutely convinced that it exists? Only to wait a few minutes for reality to set in and get disappointed that it was all just a dream?

I am the only one, aren't I? Hello, Bellevue!

LunarCrystal said:
I second that. Is it weird that I've been having dreams about watching the QL movie since ten years ago? And waking up absolutely convinced that it exists? Only to wait a few minutes for reality to set in and get disappointed that it was all just a dream?

I am the only one, aren't I? Hello, Bellevue!

If that's insanity, then you'll have a roommate. I've had dreams that felt so real about them announcing the movie, and in them I would buy magazines with interviews and screenshots, and I'd get to the point where I was buying a tape for it when I'd wake up. I'd be totally elated that I was finally going to find out what was happening with my favorite characters, when it would slowly sink in that it was all just a dream.

*sighs* And it's even more depressing when something that gets me all excited like that happens when I'm awake. The only way I can see this being real is if this was a pre-recorded interview that was leaked early, with the identity of the station concealed. If someone hurriedly wrote down Scott's answers for later use, then that could explain any errors. However, I know that's highly unlikely.

I say we hunt this person down! :whip (Hey, I need something to relieve the exam week stress!)

Doesn't Sound Like Scott

Grammar or not, that quote really does not sound like Scott.

He is very reserved and measured when speaking about his projects. Here is what really gets me. The part about being in talks with NBC? He never talks about being in talks with anyone. To paraphrase something he told me in March, "If I can do it, I do it."

Scott is a true professional. I doubt he would discuss "A Bold Leap Forward" until the t's were crossed, the i's were dotted, and the project was scheduled.

Either way, final word comes from the publicist.

Donna

Jamiew said:
Because NBC own the rights, that's probably the reason why "Scott" would be in talks with them.

How can you tell if it sounds like a person by writing? Is that even possible? Many written interviews won't make it sound like the person, unless it's an actual video interview.

Do you realise scripts and storylines can be changed? The fact we haven't heard of any news from Quantum Leap for a very long time, the story could have been changed for all we know.

It really doesn't matter anymore, because the "new news" has been taken off. That more than likely means it's not happening..... well, not for a while.

Lock or delete this topic. There's not really any point to it anymore. Let's move on, shall we?

Thanks.

JamieW, I have been watching this thread on and off all day and to tell you the truth, I don't see a problem with people discussing this topic. I don't know whether or not the wiki is correct or not. I'm going to wait on what Brian finds out from his sources that he has.

Once Brian has that answer, then I believe that Brian can make that decision if this topic needs to be locked or deleted.

Thanks for understanding and letting people have their opinion.

MJ

Hey everyone, after reading this post and doing some searching of my own I found another site with details about BLF.

http://www.tvrage.com/shows/id-7831

It states that the project is still in development and lists a premiere in July. I was just wondering if anyone had seen this before and what they think. Here's hoping at least some good news comes out of all of this.

Tonchi said:
Hey everyone, after reading this post and doing some searching of my own I found another site with details about BLF.

http://www.tvrage.com/shows/id-7831 .

with a 22 episode order, no less. you gotta admire the optimism.... (I guess. I gave up holding my breath in 1994)

my brother asked if there had been anything in Variety or tHR (as someone previously asked). I told him that it it had, all of our google alerts would be going off.

and tvrage doesn't seem to have a source either (not that i expected one. although perhaps if we searched for the text there, elsewhere, we'd find it, over and over?)

you know what this suddenly reminded me of? The Beatles getting back together. :|

Nite all.

hey, my brother found this
http://www.fulldls.com/downloading_movies_10742
(entirely for your amusement: a *torrent* of the movie which does not exist)

I didn't try downloading it... I prefer my computer virus free, and G/T/F/W only knows what that file links to....

Well, I was willing to give the download a try. But it is not a recognized file extention. So....no download. It opened Limewire in the background.

Having watched and listened to many interviews and having spoken with Scott in person, I stand by my original statement. The quote simply does not sound like Scott.

All your points have turned me, i'd probably say it's fake now, the lack of sources and stuff has foiled me, but The Bartender has the final say for me.

BTW: The page has been updated with a new paragraph instead of the 'quotes'.... i'll check it properly now.

Ok I kept my promise and i've looked it through, here's the link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Bold_Leap_Forward

and here's the user, can't tell if they're lying because they're a new member: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:StarbriteQueen

*Update*: The stuff with the quote and all that has got the chop. This has been replaced with a very loose paragraph about a 50/50 chance of it happening and that Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell are available but nothing is confirmed.

The debate continues.....