1226 Shockwave, Part II — Severed String

What is your opinion of this story?

• 5 ? This is an excellent episode! One of my personal favorites!

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • 4 ? This episode was great! I will definitely tell others about it.

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • 3 ? This episode was good. It was worth reading.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2 ? This episode was like the neutral zone ? I am indifferent.

• 1 ? Bellisario would be rolling in his grave if he had one.

• Total voters
D

Dman176

1226 Shockwave, Part II ? Severed String

THE 300th OVERALL QUANTUM LEAP EPISODE ? PART 2!!!

Shockwave, Part II ? Severed String
December 1, 1969 ? August 8, 1973
February 25, 1993

Elk Ridge, Indiana / The Berkshires & Boston, Massachusetts
New York City, New York

The Project is confronted with two major points of divergence that threaten to unravel the very fabric of Time. With anomalies continuing to pop up everywhere and time literally running out, Tom and Al must figure out a way to stop Logan once and for all before it becomes too late. However, as the shockwave fast approaches, it seems almost inevitable that Connors's premonition will come to pass.

Written by: Mike Bloxam & Damon C. Sugameli

Thanks,
TVS Team

Last edited:
Re: 1226 Shockwave, Part II ? Severed String

Our rating system this season consists of six raters and three back-up raters! We took the average of six raters and came up with an average for that episode. Based on ratings of 10 being the highest and 1 being the lowest, the average of this episode was: 9.3

Please be aware that some reviews may contain spoilers! Some of the comments given were:

Seeker said:
Talk about tightening your seatbelt because you're hurtling headlong into the Twilight Zone! Characters appearing and disappearing from one moment to the next...history unraveling and then before you can catch your breath, it's being knitted together in a totally new 'pattern.' And then, while my head is still spinning from all that, it's at that moment that this shockwave that's been steadily building and racing toward its target suddenly slams into you in the form of that single bullet that kills Sam Beckett. Wow!

You know the line that begins, "Oh what a tangled web we weave..."? Well, I'm here to tell you that this episode is the master unraveler of that web in the world of QL at this moment! Please, please...just promise this rater that when the fallout of this Shockwave has spent itself that there will still be enough of those unraveled threads to reweave the tapestry of the world WITH Sam Beckett, genius quantum physicist and time traveler in it.

Truly well done, indeed, guys!

RATING: 9.5

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Ziggy's Soul said:
This is certainly an interesting Alternative Universe (AU) to consider. I don't want to be a spoiler for those who haven't read it yet, so I'll just say that the central issue to the story was well written, shocking, and extremely sad. The way that the timeline keeps twisting keeps one on their toes. Additionally, these Beckett boys do like their two-word trademark entrances. Overall, the story keeps one's interest and is definitely worth reading. The feel of the story, though, is sometimes a little "off." More "tongue-in-cheek" than a straightforward writing at certain points...was a bit distracting.

While I'm still concerned with some of the implications of the story (see last week's review, final paragraph), I feel that the authors of the arc will come to a resolution of this situation in a way that will address those concerns reasonably. I just need to be patient and go along on this "bumpy ride." The created AU in the epilogue will be interesting to explore.

I did like the introduction of some of the show's characters that were mentioned but not seen. I'm looking forward (with trepidation) to further parts of the storyline.

Aw...Geez...

RATING: 8.5

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Quantum Stud said:
The story was well written, I must say. "Shockwave II" definitely delivered the shocks and unexpected plot twists, especially the ending when we see just whom Donna ended up marrying. To see just what life would be like if Sam Beckett hadn't become the man that he was destined to be, to see all the good that he'd done over the course of his Leaping revert back to the original history was quite interesting in itself. It was one of those stories that had Sam Beckett in great peril, yet you expected him to be rescued at the last possible second. Yet this is a story that shows that even the good guys can sometimes lose, and unfortunately Sam not only lost but he was murdered before he could go on to develop Project Quantum Leap. This is indeed one of the most unique episodes of the entire Virtual Seasons.

That said, I now go onto the 'nit pick' that I found within this story. The reason I give this one an 8.5 is because it seemed that there were too many elements that there crammed into the story, thus slowing it down at times. Now don't get me wrong, these were all good elements that added to the episode, yet it seemed as if the authors were trying to put too much of a good thing into the story.

RATING: 8.5

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Allie Cat said:
Unable to rate.

RATING: NR

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Vince Beckett said:
When I read this, I was like, "Wow!" I can see why it took so long to get it out. It is definitely a very complex story. The timeline is unraveling in so many different ways. Things have definitely gone more than a little ca-ca. The ending had me saying "OH BOY!" I wonder how long Sam will be erased from existence. The finale makes it sound permanent. I sure hope it's not. Quantum Leap just won't be the same if it is.

RATING: 10

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Xanadu said:
It's sad to see that Sam's gone, but I am glad to see that Tom wouldn't let his little brother's dream die. This is an awesome story.... but sad.

RATING: 10

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Now, it's your opportunity to rate this particular story. Let the author(s) know how you rate this story. If you'd like to give feedback, please go ahead and leave a reply!

Thanks!
The Virtual Seasons Team

Last edited:
Shocking indeed

Yes, okay, I'd been exposed to enough spoilers and trails for the following episodes to know Sam was gonna die - but still.

On the whole I thought the complex issues were very well handled and it was a rattling good read.

My nitpick is in one simple detail.

I know the writers had to get Sam out from under Tom's watchful eye in order to place him in deadly peril, but the manner of having him argue with AL in the men's room just did not ring true. I'd have preferred to see Tom chase after a false lead like a blonde who'd approached Sam and Tom intervened and took her off perhaps suspecting she was Logan. I just wasn't convinced guys, sorry.

Other than that, well done!