1231 Un-American

What is your opinion of this story?

• 5 - This was an excellent episode! One of my personal favorites!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 - This episode was great! I will definitely tell others about it.

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • 3 ? This episode was good. It was worth reading.

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • 2 - This episode is like the neutral zone - I am indifferent.

• 1 - Bellisario would be rolling in his grave if he had one.

• Total voters

QL Damsel

Al's Place / TVS & QR & Radio Files Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2002
Near Austin Texas
www.quantumleap-alsplace.com
WorldWithoutSamBeckett_logoabc.gif

Un-American

April 17, 1954
Washington D.C. and Laurel MD

Tom leaps into Steve Andrews, who has been called to testify before the Senate Internal Security Subcommittee to answer questions about Communist activity. Who is he there to really save?

Written by: Helen Gerhard

Thanks,
The TVS Team

A special thanks to Helen Gerhard for writing Un-American in a very short amount of time. We really appreciate her for helping out and keeping the Leap alive! Thank you.

Last edited:
Our rating system this season consists of six raters and three back-up raters! We took the average of six raters and came up with an average for that episode. Based on ratings of 10 being the highest and 1 being the lowest, the average of this episode was: 8.4

Please be aware that some reviews may contain spoilers! Some of the comments given were:

Seeker said:
While this story didn’t have a lot of bells and whistles, what it was, was simply a good, well-written story about a decidedly unpleasant era in our history. It was a pleasant read. Well done, indeed, Helen.

RATING: 8.5

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Morris J. Finkle said:
NR

RATING: NR

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Sporty said:
For a episode that had to be whipped up quickly, this was very well done. I liked the idea of Steve (Tom) coming to the aid of a friend. What the Thompson's went thru, I thought of the Rosenbergs, who were mentioned. A lot of it was on the surface not much depth, but considering that it had to be submitted as a substitute I can understand that, Helen a great job. I hope to see more "episodes" from you in the future.

RATING: 8

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Allie Cat said:
Bravo, Helen! A well-written story with a great plot. I love the way you addressed the paranoia that came from the McCarthy trials and the genuine fear that people felt in that time. What really impresses me is how you were able to write the story so clearly and concisely in such little time.

Again, bravo!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Zanadu said:
I liked this story! The Beckett clan seems to get it all done. It was nice to see some historical figures in the story as well. Very well done, Helen! Very well done, indeed.

RATING: 9.0

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Marigold Brambleburr said:
What a fascinating period in our history, and what a disgraceful one, to boot. I love how you've captured how otherwise good people could be sucked into thinking ill of their neighbors. Perhaps a bit more complexity could have made this story better, but that's not to say the story isn't good...it IS! Remarkably so considering how quickly it was put together. Not a loose thread to be found, and the characters all well-presented. This reviewer knows no one asked you to write this story, Helen, but that you felt led to do so--and your generosity is much appreciated. I rank this story a solid 8.5, but your good heart deserves a 10.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Now, it's your opportunity to rate this particular story. Let the author(s) know how you rate this story. If you'd like to give feedback, please go ahead and leave a reply!

Thanks!
The Virtual Seasons Team

Last edited:
:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: Thank you, Helen!!! You're such an :angel !!!! :bow :bow

(does the happy dance for a new episode)

I really enjoyed this episode. It had several historical references, and I like seeing famous people pop up in Leaps. I also enjoyed how the Leap brought back lots of "down home" memories for Tom, with the styles and the dinners, and such. It was a really good episode. I would not have been able to write this on such short notice, so :hurray: applause, applause:hurray:!

Thank you

I thank all the reviewer's for their kind words. As indicated, I just wanted to help keep the leap alive (and show my appreciation for MJ's dedication) and interesting as we move towards the conclusion of this arc. I too would have liked to put a bit more depth in the story but due to the short time to write it, I feel pretty good that the story is pretty tight and as historically accurate as possible.

I hope that other's who have read this story will tell me what they have thought about it. After all, to fulfill the idea of continual improvement, I need the feedback (including though's constructive ones that point one in meeting the challange of a rising bar.)

asearcher said:
I thank all the reviewer's for their kind words. As indicated, I just wanted to help keep the leap alive (and show my appreciation for MJ's dedication) and interesting as we move towards the conclusion of this arc. I too would have liked to put a bit more depth in the story but due to the short time to write it, I feel pretty good that the story is pretty tight and as historically accurate as possible.

I hope that other's who have read this story will tell me what they have thought about it. After all, to fulfill the idea of continual improvement, I need the feedback (including though's constructive ones that point one in meeting the challange of a rising bar.)

I would just like to say that it was well written concerning the tight time frame you had to write it in. And I am assuming it was only a couple days at best. Because there was the chance the original story could of been finished in that time. Or as is now known, that Fate's Wide Wheel has rolled away once again. But even for the lack of depth I still felt for everyone and was hoping for the best and not one of those leaps where anything that could go wrong does as has been an occurance this season. I just can't wait to see what everyone else brings out this season, no matter how long things are in an alternate reality without Sam. It's sad not having him around, but we have Al, Ziggy and everyone but Sam. So it's close but just not right. But I am rooting for Tom to keep putting 'right what once went wrong', even if those changes do go undone once things are put to the ultimate right whenever he's able to accomplish that.

SC

The comments about the lack of complexity and speed of production have all been made.

All in all, it was a good 'straightforward' story that doesn't really need the 'apology' of a rush job. (the only real evidence of which was a couple of instances of switched names where Michelle became Margaret and vice versa).

Being a Brit, I have probably a more distanced perspective on the events portrayed, though of course I am still well aware of them. This story made the history come alive.

Well done, and thank you for stepping up to the plate, Helen.

Just made it through Un-American. Good story considering how fast you wrote it. It seems you thought through how the plot should act well. Made me think about how I'm told my grandfather got looked at during that time in the fifties. Just because he worked with RCA on radar systems. People wondered about him, also I tend to think about the McCarthy trails. As to now with the current state of the nation. Example: Bush going that every one is a terrorist. And having Homeland/FBI investigate them. I wasn't around during the fifties but I used to live in Maryland for a long time. Plus I've visited Washington DC a number of times. So I got some pictures in my head from the lay out of the land.

(This was originally a PM to asearcher.)